Swim Interval workout

Options
Anyone would like to share their preferred swim interval workout?:smile:

Replies

• csolo634
    csolo634 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I set a goal distance or time and work in short 20-30 second rests in between sets. I have not taken any formal lessons or training so I only do free, flutter board and flutter board with fins.

Usually I start with a 250m set followed by 500m and do some flutter board.....varies from day to day and how I feel. I try to vary distances, effort and time every day. I am now up to a minimum of 1500m plus 300-500m flutter board, 3 days a week.

Lots of fluids before, during and after my swims because I cramp easily in my calves and fluids help.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was a swimmer for years (Masters swimming). I wasn't fast, but I loved the workouts.

It depends on what kind of shape i'm in or how fast my splits are. For example, I like to do a set of 10 X 100s on 1:40. Meaning I usually come in at 1:20 or 1:25 and get a 15 or 20 second rest. The rest of the swim sets would be based on that time. 5 X 200 on 3:20 and so on. Maybe 20 X 50s on :40 or :45. I'm basing this all on yards.

A warmup consists of maybe a 500 yard swim plus 10x50s with paddleboard kicking etc. I would usually total out between 3500 to 4000 yards by the end of the workout
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months to be able to swim a mile freestyle. It is now a year later. I swim 100M brest stroke and then 200M freestyle and swim the last 25M of the freestyle as fast as I can. I keep going back and forth until I reach the 1600 M. I had pretty much plateaued in the summer and was told to add the vigorous length. I seem to be moving. Anyway, in case you are wondering, I am 61 years young. So it was work for me.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Oops I forgot to mention that takes me and hour.
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Zerry, are you on a swim team, or a masters swim team? Those are around the USA in local YMCA's, but only major city YMCA's will have a masters swim team. That was just a thought for you.:)
    As for the workouts, you may need to vary the sets up. I especially liked 5X100, with a short rest in between. Then 5X200 IM(yes, I really enjoy the butterfly, and I can get through 50 in good form. Hahaha)
    After that just add in some longer lengths, sets of 500's or even 1,000's.
    Right now, I need to practice for an open water race that is in February. I will not have a pool to practice in. I will keep you posted on what swimming workouts I do, and when I start them.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ummm, never!

My favorites when I was a national level swimmer were "EN-3" sets. We'd do a 100 off the blocks every 5 minutes and they had to be BT+6, 5, 4, 3, 3 for the girls and BT+9, 8, 7, 6, 5 for the guys. They were pretty awesome.
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all!
  • av8orariel
    av8orariel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bluebird321, when you're swimming on interval's that aren't 15 seconds, how do you keep track on the clock? Are using using your own watch/counter, or the large time clock at the pool?

I can maintain 100s at a 1:45 well, but the 1:30 is pushing to the point that I can only keep it for two or three. I'd like to start tapering down to 1:40s, but I get so lost on the clock. Any tips/tricks?

Thanks!