Is there any interest in a Richard Simmons group?

Options
My mother is interested in joining this site, but really would like to have a group which focuses on the Richard Simmons dvds. I searched high & low for one on this site, but came up lacking. Just wondering if there is enough interest to start one or if there are already a few on here that I missed.

Replies

• Sarahkov12
    Sarahkov12 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweating to the oldies! It is a crazy good time ! I'm in
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    How does one normally go about setting up a group like that? Do you wait until you have enough people? Does someone more experienced with the forum opt to run & manage it? I only joined yesterday so this is all very new to me. :)
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Richard Simmons fan, but I AM your fan. What a sweet thing to do for your mom. Made me say, "awwww!" :happy:
  • violet976
    Options
    Awww. thanks so much. She's actually been into the workout dvds longer than I have. She's been doing Richard Simmons & loves it, I'm not sure it's up my alley but I'm all about finally getting toned up, so if there is an interest in a group I'll certainly join in. I just found out about this site yesterday & told my mom all about it, and she said she'd be interested, but would really like a group that's doing the same dvds as her. I told her I had found a group to the do the Jillian Michaels dvds with & how much it helps to have a support group to bond with over it, so I'm hoping to get together a group for my mother so she has the same.

...Otherwise, she'll just have to join me on the Jillian Michaels dvds. ;)
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I don't know how old your mom is, but I'm pushing 50 and LOVE Jillian Michaels! :-)
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My husband met Richard Simmons a while ago and said he was totally wacky but a very sweet guy! It's nice what you are doing for your mom.
  • violet976
    Options
    I've only seen him on tv, but I got the same impression. I have to give people credit for being themselves despite knowing how hard this world can treat them for it. & luckily, he seems to have a wonderful following of people who love him for what he does and for what he seems to be able to give back to others.
  • violet976
    Options
    Well... I'm not sure if there will be any interest, but I suppose I'll simply start a group and see if it makes it or flops. Worst case I suppose I can always delete the group. :p
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    How could anyone not love Richard Simmons?
  • exquisite1
    Options
    I would be interested.. still need to get a dvd, maybe a beginner issue due to just starting workouts.. I am a member of a gym here in Sarnia ON called Fit4Less & it is cheap & a great place to work out, but on the days I can't make it there I would like something fun to do at home. Next time I'm out shopping I will be looking for one, for sure!
  • violet976
    Options
    Ok guys & gals, I'm not honestly sure how to run or moderate a group, let alone how to keep one interesting (or perhaps groups just kind of grow on their own when the members create their own topics), but I'm willing to try anything once. ;)

For those who want to join & try and help me jazz up this group (or if anyone also wants to moderate - let me know), here it is:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9344-richard-simmons-fun-funky

I'm waiting on Sweatin' to the Oldies 2 from the library (those who aren't sure if Richard Simmons is right for you... check your local library), but hopefully next week I'll be crazily dancing along with anyone else who cares to partake.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE him when I was younger lol My mom had most (if not all) of them on VHS-she probably still does somewhere
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    My mother is interested in joining this site, but really would like to have a group which focuses on the Richard Simmons dvds. I searched high & low for one on this site, but came up lacking. Just wondering if there is enough interest to start one or if there are already a few on here that I missed.

Sparkpeople has a couple of Richard Simmons teams

...... If your mom is a fan of Richard Simmons .... I'm thinking Jillian Michaels is a HUGE stretch .... those personalities are so diifferent.

Someone more along the lines of Richard (friendly, and motivating) ....but maybe not as "manic" ..... maybe a Leslie Sansone group here of MFP would be a good fit. There are at least a couple of those.
  • violet976
    Options
    @ Tea: I was thinking Jillian Michaels for her only because I absolutely love that her dvds really seem to stick to 30 second intervals (I myself have a tendency to crap out on an exercise movement if I have to do it longer than 30 seconds). She's also pretty easy going about different styles of coaching, so I think she might be ok (just as I love Jillian Michaels, but I think Richard Simmons might be quirky fun and a nice break in the routine). Never know though, which is why I wanted to get a Richard Simmons group for her so she can at least be a part of one she really enjoys.

Is Sparkpeople a team or group on myfitnesspals, or is it another website entirely? How do I find the link for the Richard Simmons teams?
  • violet976
    Options
    We've got a Richard Simmons November Challenge for anyone who wants to participate. I started a few days early to see what I thought of it, and it was actually pretty fun & a nice break from the more serious routines I'm trying to tackle. Feel free to join us if you'd like. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9344-richard-simmons-fun-funky

We're aiming for 1 dvd routine per day, but there are no set rules & you can certainly go at your own pace. I'm just throwing it on top of my normal routine, which includes a few other dvds & a daily walk.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Spark is a different website entirely.... I saw the new group you set up here ....hopefully it will take off
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I love Richard Smmons. I've gone to his gym a few times and taken classes. That man is amazing and odd, yet a personal hero of mine. I am so down for this group.
  • violet976
    Options
    I'm excited to see some interest! I just did my first routine last night, and while I thought I'd just do half of it I ended up doing the whole thing. I feel like quite a fool & have no idea what I'm doing half the time, but I have to admit I did enjoy it. There really is something quite endearing about that little man, and I even worked up a bit of a sweat. :p
  • poodlegoat
    poodlegoat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do sweating to the oldies. It's so fun cause you don't have to do it alone! I'll be in your group. And u can add me
  • violet976
    Options
    Great to have another one on board. Makes me feel a little less silly for enjoying it. :p

Sent you an add as well. My food diary & exercise diary should be viewable to the public as well if it helps any. I'm still in the beginning stages of making sure I get all my protein, calcium & iron each day so I've been pretty diligent about tracking.