Over My Protein

Options
Is it bad to be over on protein?

Replies

• cheetah31
    Options
    I go over sometimes. Protein is used to rebuild your body. I was told that it is better to break protein than fat or carbs...I have lost 11 lbs in 2 weeks and it hasn't hurt me...Just work out so the protein has something to work for
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    If you haven't changed the MFP levels from what you were given, it's possible you need more. IMO, the default protein number is a little low. You'll find I'm not the only one with this view.
  • hlanders
    hlanders Posts: 50
    Options
    yeah,
    i was always ...always over....just add 5% more on..I found it low for me too! Lots of good advise changed me to moving mine up!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and how many grams did you consume?
  • angelface12004
    Options
    i am always over in protein, never over in anything else except fiber sometimes, but of all things to be over this is the one, and i have continusly lost weight every week :happy:
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Most of the scientific research shows that the only downside 'too much' protein' (within 30% or so of total calories) is that it requires a lot of work for your kidneys to process. Drink lots of water, and a few grams over here and there won't matter. Protein can be adjusted to 30% of calories without a problem for most people, but over that and you may be sacrificing quality carbs and healthy fats.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    If you're dieting, lifting weights and exercising regularly, I see nothing wrong with going as high as 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of lean body mass, assuming there's no history of kidney problems. That conclusion is born after reading all the available research on the subject paired with quite a bit of experience helping people maintain muscle while dieting.

Just m 2 cents.