need help estimating calories for a fancy french dinner

Options
rjadams
rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
So I am going to my fav restaurant. It is fancy french food with an amuse buche, starter, entree and desert along with wine pairings for each course. It is all classic french cuisine so I am sure it is made with tons of butter and cream. It is all very rich but the portions are small. I am at a loss as to how to calculate calories because I don't know how it is all made. This is my splurge of the year meal so I am not going to cut out anything. Just wondering what I should put down in my food diary.

Replies

• me45alex
    me45alex Posts: 2
    Options
    Food shouldn't be that important. You need to change your mindset.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about recording that meal. I don't even try to journal splurge meals or days; just have fun :-)
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    If you only go once a year then I say live it up. And don't worry about it but if you ate this every week then I would say worry. Maybe do a work out before you go to so you have the calories for it to or some. Have fun and don't feel guilty over it.

153118.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • rjadams
    Options
    This is a romantic weekend away with my husband. We first went to this restaurant 4 years ago and go once a year. that is why it is important. I was just wondering how to record it to maintain a complete food journal. My mindset is figuring out what I am doing now compared to what I was doing. I just started this and want to keep it going.
  • rjadams
    Options
    I already planned to work my butt off for a calorie cushion. I guess I can just leave the day blank but that goes against how I usually do things.
  • angelface12004
    Options
    yeah on a meal that big it is going to be WAY off of your calorie intake, just be sure to drink LOTS of water tomorrow and eat light. That is what i do anyway. :) Don't regret anything though, you are intitled to a splurge every once in a while
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Your right, french cuisine is heavy in butter in cream... but remember it's also probably pretty healthy (minus the sodium content) It also helps when you do have the smaller dishes. The wine also won't help all too much, lol. But it's your one day, sometimes it needs to be done, This Saturday is my husband and mine's last date night for probably a good 6 months, I will be working out before hand but I'll still be making good choices food/drink wise. (I understand you don't really get that choice). Just enjoy your time w/ your husband. Maybe go for a romantic walk afterwards? Good luck and don't fret over it too much.

Otherwise just do a post with the menu you ate and I'll look for it, or even message me (I'm a chef)
  • rhonswan
    rhonswan Posts: 26
    Options
    This weekend we went out of town and I splurged on a couple meals, so I didn't even bother trying to track my foods on those days. I just jumped back on board on Monday and have been fine since. I think it's important to have a 'cheat' or 'splurge' day every once in awhile, especially if it's for a special occasion. I say go live it up, enjoy and get back on track the next morning!

Rhonda
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i love french food! yum, yum! have you done a search of likely food you will eat in the database? something similar might already be listed. if not, you can guestimate the ingredients included in a dish. it doesn't have to be exact since this is your splurge meal. have fun with your hubby! happy anniversary!