is it healthy to go below your net calorie goal?

Options
i'm on the 1200 calorie a day diet, but when i work out (i burn 300-400 calories at the gym 3-4 times a week), i still only consume 1200 calories, so my net calories can be as low as 800. is this okay or will it slow down my weight loss?

Replies

• TrainerJulie
    Options
    My wellness coach was talking about 3500 calories is a pound. So, over the course of a week, you want to have a 3500 calorie deficit (or more).

How long have you been eating 1200 cal/day and working out 3-4 times a week? How has your weight loss been so far?
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not putting your body into starvation mode. You know your body better than anyone else & you know if you have had enough to eat or if you need more. Just listen to your body, but try to get the 1200 at least.
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you are hungry, eat some of them back (good stuff though, not junk!). It takes a while to go into starvation mode. I know I can only do 1200 calories + working out for a few days before the ravenous hunger starts to catch up with me and I need more fuel!
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    I encourage you to eat to lose. Get as close to your goal and eat those calories. I know it's hard some days, but it works!
  • fauxdetresse
    Options
    well my problem is that i can put my body into starvation mode very easily-- 1200 calories gets me stuffed. that's why i originally joined this website-- i have a problem with putting myself into starvation mode on a regular basis.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Maybe your body is happy at 130-135. It is all about being a healthy weight for your body. If you eat more and work on toning you might be really happy with your results at 130.
    Not sure, but that is what just came to mind. :flowerforyou:
  • dogmeat
    dogmeat Posts: 83
    Options
    Having a net balance under 1200kcal/d isn't recommended for anyone.

Starvation response isn't an on/off switch, it's a gradual change in metabolism. Generally you'd want to avoid it, since it kind of renders your hard work useless.
  • lisanxd
    lisanxd Posts: 93
    Options
    If I were you I would eat more. But it's your decision, just know that it may not be healthy to eat that little while still exercising. I thought I remember you posted that you used to be anorexic so if that was you that I'm remembering, then get in those extra calories... you need to eat more to make up for what you are burning.
  • fauxdetresse
    Options
    yea, that was me. i just started working out a few weeks ago and i think i subconsciously substitute it for starvation. i'm not used to eating more than 900 cal a day, which is completely by accident. i really need to get my body functioning properly. i eat a good amount when i'm at work (i work stock moving around furniture and such), but otherwise i'm at my computer doing homework, so on days off i have the energy to under-eat. it's terrible.