I need some help :o/

Options
Hi all,

I joined this site just a few days ago, and, well, since I've never owned a scale, I "guesstimated" my current weight when I joined, at what I thought was a "generous" increase from the last time I got weighed at the doctor.

Anyway, today, trying to take a next "tiny step," I bought a cheap little bathroom scale (I haven't owned a scale in ten years) and actually got on it. I am ten pounds heavier than my "over-estimation" was. Can I "change" my starting weight, or do I just log my weight as having gained ten pounds in three days?

Also, how freakin' depressing. :o/

I haven't even changed essentially anything about what I've eaten yet, partially because of my night-time dissociations... trying to get my "people" on board with this is seeming to be impossible at this point. I'm going to talk to some professionals about this too, but y'all are the ones in the trenches here too, so I was wondering if you had any suggestions to someone who needs to lose over a person in weight and has Dissociative Identity Disorder, and therefore can't always control what is being eaten and in what quantities (especially with one particular "person" inside who I am hoping will actually start contributing here too)? I already received some good suggestions about simply not having the "bad stuff" readily accessible, so they'd be more likely to maybe just eat whatever is here. I also know some of their more favorite foods that are healthy, so I'm going to be getting those more regularly... any other suggestions? I can't just not eat at all when I'm "out" and in control to make up for what they pork out on at night... or should I?

Also, starting to exercise when you're depressed and discouraged, any advice there? I just really feel that, with the combination of, well, everything, this is just, well, it's really daunting.

-G

Replies

• thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well done on buying the scale! The first step, everything's easier after that! :) you can change your starting weight by going to:
    My Home > Goals > Change goals :)

Anyways good luck & keep positive! Give us a message if you need anything :) xox
  • francesiax
    Options
    Please don't feel discouraged. At least now you know for sure what you have to contend with and when NOT if you lose the weight you'll be so so happy by what you have achieved. In regards to the exercise just start off doing something small like a brisk 20minute walk. Your endorphins will start to kick in and you will feel so much better. It took around a month for me but I actually love to exercise now. Once you realise you can do it you'll start to feel amazing and actually start to want to exercise just for the fun of it not just because you have to. Feel fee to add me as a friend if you want some encouragement daily :)
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Well done on buying the scale! The first step, everything's easier after that! :) you can change your starting weight by going to:
    My Home > Goals > Change goals :)

Anyways good luck & keep positive! Give us a message if you need anything :) xox
    This will log as a gain wont it? You can change your initial weight. Let me check how Ill be right back now lol

EDIT:
    Never fear! I'm here. :] Lol. Yet seriously just do the following steps to edit past entries or delete them if you want

Home > Weigh-in (on your left side bar) > Edit Previous Entries (on the bottom of the blue portion that says "last entry" and lists your measurements/weight there is a link)

You can delete the old entry and now you have the choice of going back to the page you were just at (where you clicked Edit Previous Entries) and next to the Edit Previous Entries link is one to your left that says "Track Additional Measurements" if it is for a day other than today. If it is for today, you can use the bar on the top (Enter today's weight).
  • susanm160
    Options
    Hi G,
    Hang in there. Exercise combats depression. It builds up the serotonin in your brain (the feel good hormone) which regulates moods and more. Start small and build up to more if you have to but the main thing is to DO IT!!!! (not yelling just emphasizing). Remember everything in moderation is good. When starting to exercise again after many years of being dormant it is wise not to over do it. Pulled muscles and soreness are the evil twins that will keep you from continuing your exercise. A 20 minute walk is good, doing it with 2 pound weights swinging your arms back and forth is better. Also when I started up again I exercised every two days, then every other day. Now I exercise everyday. When I can't I miss it! Now I do one day of heavy cardio and the next day weight work. Remember you need to build up muscle with weights (or strengthen them) Muscle burns more calories. So M, W, F are my weight days T, Th and Sat are my cardio days. Sunday is my day of rest. What works for me may not work for you. The important thing here is to start, find what works for you, and stick with it. Good luck!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hi G,
    Hang in there. Exercise combats depression. It builds up the serotonin in your brain (the feel good hormone) which regulates moods and more. Start small and build up to more if you have to but the main thing is to DO IT!!!! (not yelling just emphasizing). Remember everything in moderation is good. When starting to exercise again after many years of being dormant it is wise not to over do it. Pulled muscles and soreness are the evil twins that will keep you from continuing your exercise. A 20 minute walk is good, doing it with 2 pound weights swinging your arms back and forth is better. Also when I started up again I exercised every two days, then every other day. Now I exercise everyday. When I can't I miss it! Now I do one day of heavy cardio and the next day weight work. Remember you need to build up muscle with weights (or strengthen them) Muscle burns more calories. So M, W, F are my weight days T, Th and Sat are my cardio days. Sunday is my day of rest. What works for me may not work for you. The important thing here is to start, find what works for you, and stick with it. Good luck!

Not necessarily for everyone though. When I started I was off pills, in recovery for 12 months but now I'm back to square 1. I've changed up my exercise and still go to the Gym religiously. nowhere near what it used to be like but it IS back. :( Here for you girlie <33
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i was actually thinking about you before i saw this post. Could you make it a challenge for your people? leave a note saying "well i achieved xyz today, bet you can't beat that?!" maybe its a silly suggestion but thought i'd put it out there anyway. good luck.

as to the starting exercise. i hadn't exercised in about three years. the first day i ran for as long as i could - a whole one minute thirty seconds! and a few weeks later i'm running 35 minutes. just start really small and you'll be so surprised at how quickly your body adapts.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yup! Well done on your start in very difficult circumstances!!
    Exercise will improve your depression so I would suggest you start doing something, anything you fancy really!!
    Keep positive & I will keep praying for you!
    Mx
  • MercurialScribes
    Options
    Thanks all... used Verity's suggestion to change my starting weight... that worked fine, so that's done...

Dillydally, I actually do leave notes for them, and vice versa, usually something related to the dogs (thank goodness all of them at least "like" animals, and a couple of them I think my dogs like better than me, LOL), but that might work... they'd definitely see through the reverse psychology part of it, LOL, but phrasing it as a challenge, especially regarding exercise, just might work.

I also might lift my ban on them walking the dogs (I have a huge fenced in yard that they can go out and play with the dogs in, but generally speaking I am the only one who walks them, but even I haven't been doing that) and challenge them to do some late-night walkings, preferably after this hurricane is over. They seem to respect "rules" regarding the dogs a lot more than rules regarding me and my body for some reason (well, they like the dogs, and they know that the stuff I set forth about them is for the dogs' own good... they almost never forget to feed them, let them out, or give medications when necessary, when I leave a schedule at least, or if one of my two main "helpers" is around to make sure it happens). I had a good sleep and came back to things in a better frame of mind; I just gotta do what I can do, and ask for help from them. I tend to "battle" them moreso than not, and it's really counter-productive. Thanks for the tips and encouragement all...

-G
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    OOPz I made an error but it wont let me edit my comment, but anyways when you hit Take other measurements it lets you add other ones (arms, thighs, chest, etc) but to add a past date click edit past entries, scroll all the way down and then you can choose a date to edit. I'm happy to know it worked for you and pray you lost the pounds quickly!