Runtastic vs Runkeeper?

Options
I recently started using Runkeeper to track my walks. I see MFP now links with Runtastic. Anyone using either of these? Prefer one or the other? Runkeeper is free and it looks like Runtastic will cost after free trial. Just curious.

Replies

• czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I use runtastic and like it. However I downloaded runtastic almost 2 years ago when it was a free app of the day. I have heard good things about adidas micoach and it is free.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    A lot of the "Pro" features in Runtastic (The ones you need to pay to get) that I was interested in are already included for free in Runkeeper. Voice feedback during a workout, auto-pause, routes, heart rate support.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Personally I use RunKeeper, but I have never tried Runtastic. I try not to be a biased reviewer, but RK has given me everything I've ever wanted in a running app. I'm sticking with the proverb "If it isn't broken, don't fix it."

I would say go with RunKeeper, and hopefully MFP will work on getting it integrated soon. RK already syncs well with Fitocracy, another fun fitness app.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper and love it!
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm firmly in the runkeeper camp, having tried runtastic for a few days once it was linked up with MFP. I'm sure MFP linked the apps that were willing to pay, and of course I don't blame them. But, Runkeeper offers the ability to other app makers to link Runkeeper, MFP just won't/hasn't done so. I hope they do!

Ultimately, I decided that linking apps wasn't essential enough to make me abandon runkeeper. It only takes me a minute to enter my activity. I've even considered paying for Runkeeper, I like it so much.
  • brookea87
    brookea87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've never used RunKeeper but I love Runtastic. I love that it posts to MFP automatically. It is very detaied too! I used to use Map My Run until MFP linked with Runtastic.
  • yussef71
    Options
    I use Runkeeper and could swear by it. Main reasons are:-
    Links to the :-

Iphone 4s (GPS)
    Withings Scales(weight, lean mass & BMI)
    Polar H7 Heart Monitor (Calorie Burning Zone)
    MFP (Food intake)

I cycle up to 100 miles per week so want to keep all my activities accurate and together as they work hand in hand. Kinda motivational too and I can hear my progress or current speeds/pace etc verbally even on dark early morning or late night commutes home. I've not tried Runtastic so no opinion on the benefits of that.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I use Runkeeper and Endomondo (which links to MFP too). I tried Runtastic but didn't like it.
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input! So far using RunKeeper and love it. Set up the Runtastic but after I did it said it was a trial versionl. I don't plan on paying for anything I don't have to.
  • stone2cut
    stone2cut Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a happy runtastic user. I use the regular app and pedometer. The pedometer app tracks walking so you can track your steps all day. It's low battery, runs in the background and a great way to gauge daily calorie count. There is a free version that you can use.
  • AggieSigner
    AggieSigner Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use both Runtastic & Runkeeper, mainly because both of them have free versions and I can use either one or both of them on my Android smartphone. Both have pros and cons that come with each.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I've never used Runtastic before, I use Runkeeper as my main app. I love it! It's easy to use, I get feedback as I'm running and it was free(the reason i tried it to begin with lol)
  • SeanJohnsonCI
    SeanJohnsonCI Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper and it is brilliant.

I am on a 1000 mile challenge for the year and is great for tracking and uploading to my facebook page.

I wish myfitnesspal would use some intergration with it.

http://runkeeper.com/user/seanpjohnson

https://www.facebook.com/challengesean
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    If you want free with good features that you don't have to pay for, while also connected with MFP, try endomondo
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Just use runkeeper, then you'll be another voice screaming for MFP integration :D

I'm quite a heavy RK user, if anyone would like to add me I'm Pyrowill there http://runkeeper.com/user/pyrowill/profile
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love runkeeper, but I haven't tried runtastic. Maybe I will check it out.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I liked runkeeper, but Endomodo linking to mfp just makes it a breeze to sync to mfp.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First of all - let me get on my soap box to start! :-) (I am a software developer by trade so bear with me!)
    If you like and use the App - pony up the $3-10 and pay for it for god's sake! Geez! Listen to yourselves! You have no issue in paying $180 for a pair of shoes, $75 for a Quick Dry shirt, $15 for a pair of socks, $2 a workout for Gatorade, $55 - 100 to enter a race, but to have someone ask for $5 for something they have 8000 hours in - WHAT!? Are you crazy!?

Ok - that's out of the way. :)

I use both Runtastic and Sports Tracker Pro. I almost love both of them but both are missing elements. I wish I could combine them and then I would have an application that fits 85% of my wants. Even combined they would both miss key elements. I use both of them linked to a Polar Heart Rate monitor as well.

Sports Tracker Pro: (This, I believe might be Android only. )
    Pros:
    - Fairly Accurate on distance when the gps stays connected. In past versions - it would sometimes lose gps connections - but in the last year or so it has gotten much better. When it does stay connected - it is very accurate. I ran a half marathon in December and it was dead on.

- Calculates total calories burned based on formula that includes your personal information, activity performing, performance during activity, and heart rate. If you are doing an indoor exercise like spinning, then it calculates HR based on heart rate and length of activity.

- Nice website, data metrics, voice feedback

Cons:
    - App nor website break down run by splits. I find this MOST annoying. It will show you the best "1 mile" or "10 minute" - but not exactly where/which mile and location you achieved this. This is a big con to me.

- Does not have an option to start track upon initial exceeding the minimum speed threshold (would be very useful for tracking a race when you don't know exactly when it will start and you want to have your phone in your arm band and ready). It has a count down - but this is not very useful for starting a race.

Runtastic:
    Pros:

- Love the application GUI, voice feedback, interface with Facebook and MFP.

- Nice website with very good data metrics including the splits that I miss in Sports Tracker

Cons:
    - Inaccurate GPS. In the same half as above - it was .2 off (12.9 at finish). It consistently loses .1 miles every 6 miles. This to me is befuddling as you would think this would be a parameter of the phone's gps and not the application.

- Same issue as Sports Tracker listed above regarding starting the track for a race.

- Calorie calculations do not take in to account HR at all which makes this application useless for any activity that cannot use a GPS (spinning, treadmill, etc)

I used to use both at the same time but recently an update to one or another or my phone has caused it to not allow both to access the HRM at the same time for some reason. As a result I have been using Sports Tracker this calendar year. I think I would switch back to Runtastic if they would fix the calculations based on HR and either fix the GPS issue or at least provide me a way to enter an offset parameter so that the mileage is more accurate.
  • hey_everyday
    hey_everyday Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any further thoughts on Endomondo vs Runtastic. I like that they link up automatically but I have been getting very different results from each app. The calories burned on Endomondo seem very high. From what I've read above I might stick to Runtastic or Runkeeper, unless anyone can help!?
  • sfelice12
    Options
    I've not used Runtatsic or Endomondo -- despite looking into both. I have have been pretty happy with RunKeeper for a few years. I use a BodyMedia activity tracker, so I rely on calorie burn from BodyMedia to be fed into MFP as opposed to direct feed of specific activities. Different approach, but it has worked for me.

As for run loggers, I have looked at a few over the years and the latest one I'm using (in addition to RK is Smashrun (www.smashrun.com). Interface and run stats are awesome. Takes data feed from Nike+ and soon also Garmin. Worth a look. Likely that I'll continue to use RunKeeper as I log more than runs there, such as my weight training workouts, skiing, etc. But the run stats don't compare to Smashrun.

Steve