Being sick and working out

Options
I'm wondering if any of you exercise when your sick or if you let your body rest.
I've heard both answers, sweat it out, and let your body recuperate.
I have a ****ty immune system and get sick very easily so I feel really guilty when I don't work out
I have a really bad throat cold, all I want to do is sleep and eat soup... But I don;t want to fall off the wagon

Replies

• truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    well speaking a CMA (certified Medical assistant) I would get rest not work out. working out puts more stress on your body when it is already getting stress from being sick
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on the type of illness and how you feel. I have a head cold/allergies right now, and I find that while I have to talk myself into a workout during times like this I feel SO much better afterwards. Just take it easy and don't overdo it -- maybe take a good walk just to get yourself moving and see if you feel up to something more intense afterwards.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Depends if you just have the sniffles with no fever tough it out if your any sicker than that i would ask a doc
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    You have to listen to that inner voice of yours. Do what it tells you. *****rest******
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was feeling some sickness (sniffles etc) coming on a while ago and went running anyway.. ended up feeling way better! If you want to workout.. do it but don't push too hard. Just listen to your body. Our bodies are pretty smart sometimes!
  • mirandamcdonald
    mirandamcdonald Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not feeling too hot is usually my biggest motivation to go work out. I think it's a way for your body to tell you it needs some love and attention. And not to mention, sleep is so much better once you've tired yourself out.
  • dq_diva
    dq_diva Posts: 66
    Options
    I've always read/heard that if you are sick from the neck up (i.e. head cold), go ahead with a light workout. But if you are sick from the neck down (i.e. chest), take some time off.

IMHO, if you're body feels like it just wants to "sleep and eat soup", it's probably more than just a cold and you should listen to your body and "sleep and eat soup".

Take care.....hope you feel better soon :)
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if any of you exercise when your sick or if you let your body rest.
    I've heard both answers, sweat it out, and let your body recuperate.
    I have a ****ty immune system and get sick very easily so I feel really guilty when I don't work out
    I have a really bad throat cold, all I want to do is sleep and eat soup... But I don;t want to fall off the wagon

Get rest.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.

Mild to moderate physical activity is usually OK if you have a garden-variety cold and no fever. Exercise may even help you feel better by opening your nasal passages and temporarily relieving nasal congestion.

As a general guide for exercise and illness, consider this:

Exercise is usually OK if your signs and symptoms are all "above the neck" — symptoms you may have with a common cold, such as runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or minor sore throat. Consider reducing the intensity and length of your workout, though, or you may feel worse. Instead of going for a run, take a walk, for example.
    Don't exercise if your signs and symptoms are "below the neck" — such as chest congestion, hacking cough or upset stomach.
    Don't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    from Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.

Mild to moderate physical activity is usually OK if you have a garden-variety cold and no fever. Exercise may even help you feel better by opening your nasal passages and temporarily relieving nasal congestion.

As a general guide for exercise and illness, consider this:

Exercise is usually OK if your signs and symptoms are all "above the neck" — symptoms you may have with a common cold, such as runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing or minor sore throat. Consider reducing the intensity and length of your workout, though, or you may feel worse. Instead of going for a run, take a walk, for example.
    Don't exercise if your signs and symptoms are "below the neck" — such as chest congestion, hacking cough or upset stomach.
    Don't exercise if you have a fever, fatigue or widespread muscle aches.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/AN01097

I wish there was a Like button
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Turns out I have bronchitis so I wont be working out