Holy Cow! Just signed up for my first HALF marathon

Options
I am so nervous about this. My brother and sister in law convinced me to sign up and start training. I have completed several 5ks and for some reason they think I can do this! Haa haa! I don't want to let myself down or them.

Replies

• neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well done! I'm signing up to do one in Feb and I'm really nervous too - never been much of a runner. Good luck!!!!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Good for you!!!! DO IT!
  • wkrd
    wkrd Posts: 45
    Options
    That's great. I bet there was a time you never thought you'd do a 5k and now you've done several!!! You will do it and you will be great!! I've just started couch to 5 k (C25K.com) and saw that they have an app (or website if you prefer) to guide you through building up to a half marathon.
  • gargisingh
    gargisingh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    That is amazing! Which one did you sign up for? I am very confident that you would love the after-effects of your half-marathon. I love running that distance so if you need any support- I am right here, feel free to add me.
    All the best! It is going to be great! :smile:
    (Just remember to take rest days and avoid injuries.)
  • annahuebscher
    Options
    You'll do amazing!! My first one I had to walk like half of it, but it was a blast and I'm addicted. Enjoy your training and dont' stress!
  • jaimesoo
    jaimesoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You will do great! Just enjoy yourself! I thought the same thing about my first one too. I have now run 5 more since AND a full marathon last year. The 13.1 is my favorite distance now!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yay! You can totally do it. I think you'll be surprised at what your body can do if you just ask it to.

I did my first half in July, my second half earlier this month, I have another half in mid-November and another in April. I find that registering for races keeps me motivated to keep training in between them. When you start running for longer than an hour make sure you have something along with the water to help you refuel. Some people use that goo stuff, I personally use water mixed with a gatorade type beverage. Just straight gatorade is way too sweet for me while exercising. Find what works for you. Happy training!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It's just like a 5k really. And then another one straight after. And another. And another. Then a tiny bit more. And that's it!
  • Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    With the proper training, this is something that you can definitely do!
  • JVandesteeg
    JVandesteeg Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!! I'm running my first one this coming weekend!! I've only ran in 5k's, so it's a whole new experience for me as well! I don't have a set time that I want to finish, I just wanna be able to cross the finish line! Good Luck to you!!!
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You can totally do this! I have my first half marathon in just under two weeks and, like you, went from doing a 5k to a half. Give yourself plenty of time to train. I think you'll be surprised how quickly you can add distance to your training runs. Best of luck to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!