My Tips

Options
I have posted this in one way or another in a couple other threads. People have been asking me how I managed my weight loss and this is the best way I can sum it up! Everyone is entiled to their opinion, but this works for me.

Diet and Exercise with a goal burning more calories than you consume. (-- the simple pricipal. I dont personally worry about fat content. I just count calories.

1) Water, Water, and Water... I quit anything that wasnt water except for the occasional milk or juice. Start with Crystal light or Mio or something like that until you can get to straight water or coconut water. I dont buy into the diet stuff. I know im not an expert or scientist, but a diet coke or sugar free monster cant be better than water. Any calories and/or sugars you can eliminate with your drinking will allow you to eat more!

2) Shop on the outside edges of the grocery store. Everything out there is fresh. When you move to the inner isles; you start dealing with things in boxes. Im sure not all of it is bad, but I dont like things in boxes ;) Again.. this is a preference and I dont think its better than fresh foods.

3)Carbs, Cheeses and Condiments are not your friend. These are wasted calories in my opinion. They dont provide any overall gain in nutrition comparative to fresh food and they suck up your total calorie count in a hurry. Stay away!!

4) Dont lie to yourself. This is my number one thing. Dont round up your exercise and round down your calories. Infact, do it the other way. I have so many friends that lie to themselves about how much they actually eat vs how much they are exercising. Unless you have a gentic problem diagonosed by a doctor.... If your not seeing results, its because you not doing it right. End story. I did this somewhere in the middle of my journey.... I was lying to myself and I wasnt making progress.

Anything more specific just ask.. I am not a nutritionist, trainer, or doctor so these are only my opinions. I just lost some weight and got back in shape.

Good Luck!!! and continue the amzaing transformations!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    3)Carbs, Cheeses and Condiments are not your friend. These are wasted calories in my opinion. They dont provide any overall gain in nutrition comparative to fresh food and they suck up your total calorie count in a hurry. Stay away!!

Stay away from carbs?? Vegetables and fruits typically have more carbs than other macronutrients. Surely you are not suggesting people stay away from vegetables and fruits in order to lose weight. :huh:
  • isabellecmiranda
    isabellecmiranda Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I will try this. Thanks for the advice... I know what you mean about carbs... tricky things... I will just stay away from breads etc. I will eat my veggies..
  • Nalgh94
    Nalgh94 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Carbs is a tricky thing, but I think I know what kinds you mean. I am trying to switch to whole wheat pasta and bread as much as I can because I just cannot cut those out of my life especially bread
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Great post bro!
  • butler879
    butler879 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Obviously, you can't avoid carbs. What I meant was carb loaded items such as bread, pastas, and I avoid potatoes for the most part. Carb loaded items usually suck down your available calories too. You could eat more protein like chicken if you have it with a side of broccoli instead of with bread. I'd rather spend my calories on protein than carbs.

And like I said, this is how I lost my weight. It doesn't have to be your blueprint. Something different may work for you.
  • butler879
    Options
    Great post bro!

Thanks!
  • _granola
    _granola Posts: 326
    Options
    Condiments are most certainly my friend.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

4) Dont lie to yourself. This is my number one thing. Dont round up your exercise and round down your calories. Infact, do it the other way. I have so many friends that lie to themselves about how much they actually eat vs how much they are exercising. Unless you have a gentic problem diagonosed by a doctor.... If your not seeing results, its because you not doing it right. End story. I did this somewhere in the middle of my journey.... I was lying to myself and I wasnt making progress.

I used to use another site and I can't believe since I've been here how many people are completely delusional about losing weight. How can anyone say they're hundreds of pounds over weight yet can't lose anything supposedly eating 1200 calories a day?
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Obviously, you can't avoid carbs. What I meant was carb loaded items such as bread, pastas, and I avoid potatoes for the most part.

Congrats on your successes but be mindful, the carb police will not be pleased.
  • c0c0nn0r
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Obviously, you can't avoid carbs. What I meant was carb loaded items such as bread, pastas, and I avoid potatoes for the most part. Carb loaded items usually suck down your available calories too. You could eat more protein like chicken if you have it with a side of broccoli instead of with bread. I'd rather spend my calories on protein than carbs.

And like I said, this is how I lost my weight. It doesn't have to be your blueprint. Something different may work for you.

I think it's give and take. To each their own, but I eat a sandwich or two pretty much every day. Who doesn't like a good creamy Alfredo or french fries with their burger every once in a while? If you keep it to a serving or two, no harm done.
  • butler879
    Options

I think it's give and take. To each their own, but I eat a sandwich or two pretty much every day. Who doesn't like a good creamy Alfredo or french fries with their burger every once in a while? If you keep it to a serving or two, no harm done.

If someone is happy with their weight, there is nothing wrong with burgers and fries. If someone's not making any progress, then they may want to change burger and fries to bunless burger and broccoli.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

If someone is happy with their weight, there is nothing wrong with burgers and fries. If someone's not making any progress, then they may want to change burger and fries to bunless burger and broccoli.

To save calories, that's a great suggestion. If you wanted a burger and french fries but still stayed within your calorie goal for the day, I don't see how that would be a problem either.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Or take out the burger and just eat buns and Alfredo.

Alfredo on a bun! You should make that your signature dish.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your successes but be mindful, the carb police will not be pleased.

Nor is the cheese police happy. Cheese sticks are a great snack! High quality protein, no sugar, and plenty of vitamins. Sure there is some fat but it's filling so it's worth the calories.

And surely you aren't including cottage cheese!

EDIT: I agree with everything else though. I think it's clear that the OP wasn't talking about fruits and veggies when he said avoid carbs.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options

2) Shop on the outside edges of the grocery store. Everything out there is fresh. When you move to the inner isles; you start dealing with things in boxes. Im sure not all of it is bad, but I dont like things in boxes ;) Again.. this is a preference and I dont think its better than fresh foods.

• krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    OOOps. Hit send too soon. The outside aisle of my grocery store includes the cheeses and the wine. Good thing since both are part of my healthy eating plan.
  • butler879
    Options
    Haha. Well, I think my post was missed a little bit. I originally said burn more calories than you consume. That's the goal. I was giving examples of places where you might be able to help facilitate that policy. If you want to eat a piece of mozzarella cheese, by all means eat it as a snack. I have. But if you order cheese on everthing you eat and struggle to get under calorie goal, then scrap it. If a turkey sandwhich fits you goal. Eat it. If it doesn't, get rid of the mayonnaise and bread.
  • HarlowAudrey
    Options
    Love this.

I have found that eating carbs not only makes me feel lethargic, fat and frumpy.. but I cannot stay within my calorie range to save my life. One 10cm piece of turkish bread is 200 calories.. That is ridiculous!!!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options

27581348.jpg