Eating like paleo(caveman) diet...need help!

Options
I cannot eat flours, grains, dairy, corn, oils, sugar, nuts, beans amongst other things. It is kind of a version of the paleo diet. I want to get in more protein but I don't like eggs unless they are mixed with dairy products (which I cannot have) and I don't really like fish or tuna. I have no idea what to eat that has a lot of protein but not tons of fat. I am also under my 1200 calories every day because I don't know what else to eat besides meat (which I don't want too much of) and vegetables and fruits which hardly have any calories. I am hungry all of the time because nothing seems filling. Also I am getting way too may carbs from fruits because it is all I can think of to snack on when hungry. Any suggestions on anythiing would be great!

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    good lord.

with all those restrictions you are headed for failure.

good luck with that
  • mauldin1
    mauldin1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you can do protein shakes with almond milk or just add water! I had a friend that is on the paloes diet and lost crazy weight and she is doing crossfit. I tried that diet before but I just couldnt do it, it was way to strict for me!
  • hdlb111
    hdlb111 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat flours, grains, dairy, corn, oils, sugar, nuts, beans amongst other things. It is kind of a version of the paleo diet. I want to get in more protein but I don't like eggs unless they are mixed with dairy products (which I cannot have) and I don't really like fish or tuna. I have no idea what to eat that has a lot of protein but not tons of fat. I am also under my 1200 calories every day because I don't know what else to eat besides meat (which I don't want too much of) and vegetables and fruits which hardly have any calories. I am hungry all of the time because nothing seems filling. Also I am getting way too may carbs from fruits because it is all I can think of to snack on when hungry. Any suggestions on anythiing would be great!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Something's got to give somewhere, you can't have everything at once. I totally believe you can cut out this much stuff and be healthy, but not if you're going to be carbophobic at the same time. Protein foods generally have a lot of fat. Low fat foods tend to have a lot of carbs. Pick one... but you're going to be a lot better off eating fresh fruits and veggies with a lot of carbs than you are subsisting off of protein shakes, for instance. When in doubt, real food is better than processed stuff, and if you have to rack your brain about finding things with enough protein... is it really healthy to be eating that way, for you? Eat what is easy for you, and fits your restrictions.
  • erinblaze86
    Options
    Hi! I'm doing a sort of modified paleo diet, too. May I ask why you're trying to keep your meat lean?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Lol. I don't know what to say. Paleos ate like that because that's all they had available. It was not a choice. Now, we praise it as if it's some kind of brilliance on their part. Lol. It's just really lame. We have choices now. You don't have to settle for raw antelope and a berry.
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    This is not a great place to post if you are looking for advice regarding Paleo/primal - lots of haters on the general forums. if you are serious about adopting this lifestyle There is a Paleo/primal support group with many great, supportive people on it. I can tell you, that when you are eating primal you should be getting at least 60-80% or more of your daily calories from fat - healthy fats like nuts, those found in meats, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. so don't stress about fat. Eating fruit all day is more sugar than recomnended and is not fueling your body. You are hungry because while you have cut out all of the processed foods and wheat, you are not replacing those items with enough protein and fat. I eat mostly primal (with occasional cheat meals) and have an open diary. Feel free to add me if you would like support. I did not care for most fish and vegetables until doing Whole 30 and my tastes changed - now I crave much healthier foods and eat fish at least 3-4 times a week. You may want to consider trying Whole 30 - it's sort of like a reset button!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you don't want to eat meat, but with not liking seafood or eggs, there isn't alot else that fits the paleo way of eating for protein. If you are concerned about the amount of fat, it's really something that you will need to let go. It's a different mindset and you can choose the leanest cuts of meat, game is especially lean, but overall you will have a higher fat % than what you might be accustomed to.
  • sarbar71
    Options
    This is not a great place to post if you are looking for advice regarding Paleo/primal - lots of haters on the general forums. if you are serious about adopting this lifestyle There is a Paleo/primal support group with many great, supportive people on it. I can tell you, that when you are eating primal you should be getting at least 60-80% or more of your daily calories from fat - healthy fats like nuts, those found in meats, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. so don't stress about fat. Eating fruit all day is more sugar than recomnended and is not fueling your body. You are hungry because while you have cut out all of the processed foods and wheat, you are not replacing those items with enough protein and fat. I eat mostly primal (with occasional cheat meals) and have an open diary. Feel free to add me if you would like support. I did not care for most fish and vegetables until doing Whole 30 and my tastes changed - now I crave much healthier foods and eat fish at least 3-4 times a week. You may want to consider trying Whole 30 - it's sort of like a reset button!

Thought I would also mention, that there are a ton of fantastic paleo bloggers out there with free recipes to keep things interesting. Here are a couple of my favorites so far -

http://www.thefoodee.com/
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/
    http://www.againstallgrain.com/
    http://nomnompaleo.com/
  • lexikaye22
    lexikaye22 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    SARBAR.... THANK YOU for the awsome sites! I am new to this... not going extreme... butttt think that this is the best route to start on, for eating healthier! THANK YOU!
  • sarbar71
    Options
    SARBAR.... THANK YOU for the awsome sites! I am new to this... not going extreme... butttt think that this is the best route to start on, for eating healthier! THANK YOU!

You are welcome! That's what got me started - not trying to eat extreme, just wanted to switch from a mostly processed foods diet to whole foods. I have been doing this for only a few months, but have never felt better :happy:
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
  • lwalsh54
    Options
    I just asked the doctor and I guess I don't have to! I was just thinking it would be healthier. So I guess I can eat more meat
  • lwalsh54
    Options
    Wow, what a lot of advice. Thank you so much.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

You need to eat high fat.