Sore or injured? What to do?

Options
So I began running 3 weeks ago. I love it. At first I could only go about 1/2 a mile at a time. This last Monday I did a 8 min mile in one stretch, walked a mile and ran a hard 1/2 mile, walking the remaining distance to my car.

I was super sore the next day, but I didn't think much of it. Then last night I realized the rest of me was loose (I stretched extra and went for a light walk with the dog) except on large muscle on the top and side of thigh. It was hot to the touch, throbbing and so tender I wanted to cry. I iced it and that helped some.

So is that normal soreness or does it sound like a strain? If so, how long should I rest it before attempting to run again?

Thanks to all who respond!!!

Replies

• CinthyNair
    CinthyNair Posts: 261
    Options
    I had experienced that when I first started doing lunges and squats. I may have over done it, and I was sore for almost a whole week. Just listen to our body. If you are in pain, then just rest or do light exercises. Put running on hold for a while, and just do walks or brisk walks .... i guess the body takes time to get adjusted.
  • rcbulmer219
    Options
    Yeah, you over did it a bit. You did the right thing to ice it and I would continue to do so over the next couple of days... 2-3x per day for 15 min at a time. You need to realize that although you are making great strides in your running, you are still a 3 week old newbie! Take your time and do not push your body! If you are trying to loose weight, you aren't burning that many more calories running so hard like that! You need to work up to that slowly. An 8 minute pace is more of an intermediate/advanced time so hats off to you for being able to, but, I would wait a few months before you do that again. Best of luck to you!!!