Working Nights

Options
Hi,
Just wondering how other night workers count their calories and keep up with eating around the clock...I am a nurse, and work three 12s but on those nights/days I burn more calories ( not sure how to count them) and then get very little sleep the next day (4hrs) before I'm up again...(kids :) ) I'd like to figure out how to track calories during these times of little rest and what others might be doing who work nights...

Replies

• highgear
    Options
    Hello,

I'm in the same boat. I'm a police officer and work 12 hour shifts 6p - 6a. I work 2 on 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. It stinks as I am constantly trying to turn around between nights and thre real world on my days off.

The way I figure my plan, is each sleep period (other than a nap) starts a new day. Sometimes this is only 5 hours when I'm doing a turn around after days off. This will make for a very short day (usually noon until 10 p and I will be under my calorie goal). However when I turn back around I am usually up from about 9 a - 3-4 a the next day so I have a very long day and I may go over a bit as I have an extra meal. I guess it all works out in the end.

I try to streatch my eating over 5 meals a day. (200 - 400 calories per meal) My meals are broken into Breakfast, Mid-Morning, Lunch, Dinner, Dinner (late night), and Snacks (anytime). Breakfast is always the first meal when I get up, so when I am working nights, my "lunch" entry will be the same as my wife's Dinner.

Hope this helps!
  • bryan_yauger
    Options
    not sure if this right or wrong but this is how i do it. i start work at 10pm and work till 6am. i still go by the 12am to 12am schedule. anything ate at 1201am goe for the next day up until 1159pm. so far i have been able to be below my goal 99 percent of the time.

good luck.

bryan
  • Cliff_RN
    Options
    !!!!!!!! I was just about to post the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just finishing up a string of 7p-730a night shifts (ICU) and I can go 16 hrs without eating, then binge when I get home. Been doing it for 20+ years.

There's a big difference on knowing what to do, and actually doing it.

A couple of years ago I had a friend become a Take Shape for Life rep, and I ended up buying a ton of their Medifast meal, and spent a ton of $$. I just recently pulled them out of the garage and started to use them, just this past week. About the same time I joined this site.

I've been trying to use them every 3 hrs, but take a look at my food diary, it sucks.

This weekend I downloaded a bunch of free info from the Body For Life website, I used some of the hospital's re-imbursement for health to juin a 8 week excersis program.

Everything seems to be scheduled for the 9-5 type of lifestyle, even the food entreries here, I never know if I should add it as a lunch, breakfast, etc.

Will let you know if it work!

Cliff P
  • MommaPaz
    MommaPaz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I work nights as well, although only 8 hr shifts. I also only work a .6 so I've got 8 days (nights) off to turn myself around. I changed my food diary to 4 hour increments starting at midnight (so Midnight- 4Am, 4AM-8AM...). Its difficult on the days I switch myself back from night to day and also on the days (nights) I work and then take care of my daughter all day, because it seems like I need to eat more because I am awake longer. I've found that changing days at midnight is the easiest way for me to stay within my calorie recommendations. You just have to learn to eat smaller meals more often! It can be a pain (especially when you're working) but it works for me.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Everything seems to be scheduled for the 9-5 type of lifestyle, even the food entreries here, I never know if I should add it as a lunch, breakfast, etc.

Hi cliff and welcome. Just so you know, on the main page, if you go into the "SETTINGS" button at the top, then click on "DIARY SETTINGS", you can change the setting from "breakfast, lunch, dinner", to anything you want. I use hours in the day to help me out as I try to eat every 3 hours. Hope this helps.
  • lmbird
    lmbird Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is great...thanks for all the help (everyone) I think staying on track eating the small meals everyday 5-6 times a day works out great and i throw in a protein shake when i'm too busy (or tired) to eat...we'll see how it goes night work is just hard on your body in general...
  • Cliff_RN
    Cliff_RN Posts: 13
    Options
    I didn't know you could change the meals. Thanks for the tip lulabellewoowoo!