I need advice on wine?!?! Help Please!

Options
microwoman999
microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
So my husband and I are going to a cabin this weekend :heart: Well this cabin gives a complimentary wine and we are not big on wine so much, but I do like fruity drinks and so does he. Since its complimentary we do want to try and pick one that we might like. So the choices we have are .................

Red Wine

White Wine

Sparkling Juice

Champagne

For a person who wants to have some bubbly which should we choose? Not the sparkling juice because we do want to try out some wine. Please and Thank You! I really appreciate your thoughts and we just would like to have a special weekend together. :heart:

Replies

• admnmtpilot
    admnmtpilot Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I would go for the Champagne...just sayin'
  • bajajen
    Options
    If you're looking for something sparkly but not juice then your option sounds like Champagne. The good news about champagne is that it's very easy to sip. One can get tipsy on a lot of it, so beware. Still, its caloric value is going to be up there with red or white wine. Now, some experts believe that red wine is better for us than white because of the micro nutrients in the wine skin. May be. But I think it's a matter of taste. If you're going to have the calories (and alcohol calories are typically just empty) have what you like. A small serving of any of your options shouldn't ruin your diet.

By the way, the best red in my opinion is 7 Deadly Zins from Lodi, California. My favorite white is Pavi's Organic Pinot Grigio from Napa Valley, California. And I like real Champagne but it's hard to get. A good sparkling white from Korbel vineyards in California is tasty. :smile:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Depends on the wines, to describe them as red and white a little vauge. Champagne is usually dry (if it is actually champagne - it has to come from the champagne region of France otherwise it is sparkling wine). You say you like fruity drinks but without knowing at least the grape types of the wine it's hard to pick which might be fruity. For me champgne is always a winner. If it turns out you don't love it you could perhaps add a little fruit juice (can't believe I'm suggesting that, bit of a crime really but at least it'll get drunk :smile: )
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yea they don't tell you what kinds of wine they are. That is the description they gave us. Anymore thoughts are greatly appreciated....We will probably go with a majority rules and any helpful hints like the fruit juice idea might be nice too. Thanks again :flowerforyou:
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    red!
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oooh, that is really really vague. They don't tell you anything other than the colors?

I just recently got into wine, Iike fruity drinks too and here are my favorites

White - Moscato
    Red - Red Velvet, Red Sweet

I don't like champaigne, it's to dry and the carbonation upsets my stomach.

If you are unsure go with the Red, even the drier red wines tend to be better than the dry whites :D
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    If you don't like wine, I would go for the champagne. Bring some fresh squeezed orange juice and have mimosas!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of red. I personally can't stand champagne unless it's a mimosa
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Champagne always has some slight sweetness whereas most red or white wines are completely dry (but not all...hard to guess when there's so little info). If it's not an extremely expensive place it's probably not "real" champagne, just sparkling wine from elsewhere. And less expensive sparkling wines are often sweeter and fruitier than Champagne. I think it's your best bet, if only for the fun of it. The red and white seem like more of a gamble. Maybe watch a youtube tutorial of how to open a champagne bottle before you go though - it can be tricky and dangerous to the uninitiated!
  • emtron500
    emtron500 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    oh, and mimosa is a fantastic idea just in case you find yourself hating it. Bring a bottle of orange juice and you're golden!
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For a non-wine-drinker, I would go with the sweeter wines, like a Pinot Noir in red, or a Moscato or Pinot Grigio in white. Riesling is another sweet white wine, but I think it's a little too sweet. Just my preference. Have a great time!:drinker:
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    that's tough, in my (limited) experience, white wines tend to be a bit sweeter. You could try a white wine. I am a dry red wine drinker myself, so that's what I'd go for, but I don't think that would appeal to you.

As for champagne, you could always opt for that and if it's too dry for you - mix with OJ for some mimosas. :)
  • OlibecaMom
    Options
    You said you prefer fruity which I take to mean sweet... For me, reds are too rich and not sweet at all. I prefer white and my favorite is a Moscato. It's a sweet white and not crazy high in calories either. :) Have a great time!!!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    If you don't like wine, I would go for the champagne. Bring some fresh squeezed orange juice and have mimosas!

This!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    You can do a white wine sangria. Mix the white wine, with 1 20oz bottle of ginger ale, 2-3 cinnamon sticks, 1/2 of an apple sliced and 1/2 of an orange sliced. Squeeze the other half of the orange juice in and leave the mix sit for about 20-30 minutes. Serve as-is, or on ice. You said you wanted some bubbly and something sweet. So there ya go! :) Enjoy your romantic weekend!
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Ask for all four - then drink the champagne and give the rest to friends for Christmas :drinker:
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You can do a white wine sangria. Mix the white wine, with 1 20oz bottle of ginger ale, 2-3 cinnamon sticks, 1/2 of an apple sliced and 1/2 of an orange sliced. Squeeze the other half of the orange juice in and leave the mix sit for about 20-30 minutes. Serve as-is, or on ice. You said you wanted some bubbly and something sweet. So there ya go! :) Enjoy your romantic weekend!

^^^THIS^^^ If you don't like it,you can send it to me. We are romantic-ing on the tail end of a business trip this weekend. We will be having red sangria and/or barefoot pinot grigio---inexpensive and delish and fun for us lightweights!

Barb
  • jlwbeans0823
    jlwbeans0823 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you like sweeter drinks, I'd go with the white. It's kind of hard to make a recommendation with just the colors. Depending on the wine brand you could get something that's dry, sweet or so many flavors in between. I prefer red's personally, Shiraz or Pinot Noir are my favorites. However, I do enjoy a few white wines as well like Riesling or Pino Grigio. Can you call and get a bit more info, that may help with your decision. Lots of great suggestions in this thread as well. :)
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Sweet wines == calories
    I would pick the red wine, at least you also get iron.

6 oz of alcohol is 6 oz of alcohol--you will consume a good 200 - 400 calories per class. I say have your wine, just don't eat bread that dnight and be sure to eat a salad or two (with very little dressing) and some lean protein (approx 3 - 5 oz fish, beef or chicken).

Then also decide if you want wine OR dessert. It's all about give or take.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    excuse the typos

glass of wine . . .

night. . .:drinker: