Soooo tired.....need energy....

Options
I have been at this weight loss thing since last December and so far have lost a total of 45 lbs, (16 with MFP), and have about 30 more pounds to go. I've eaten all the wrong foods all of my life and have been slowly trying to change my habits, but as we all know, old habits are hard to break. I started by just counting calories and not paying much attention to the foods I consume. Now I am trying to incorporate more whole foods into my diet. I thought that after the weight loss I would have more energy, but I still don't, and I can only assume it's because I'm not eating enough of the right foods. So, my question is, what foods do you feel give you the most energy?

Replies

• laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Proteins, fruits and veggies-also I noticed my energy goes up if I workout at the very least 3 times a week-I really like to try for 4-5 times-don't give up on yourself. I think sometimes our bodies need to be kicked in the butt so to speak and by that I mean if you always eat XXXX amount of calories everyday-change it one or two days-eat a few less-then a few over and then go back, this way doesn't let our metabolism get complacent at least this is I believe works for me. Good luck and never give up:smile:
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    I would check iron levels , and maybe eat more carbs veggies fruit .
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Try to eat more small meals every 3 - 4 hours. What is your picture---a tree? I was distracted.

I agree to get your iron levels checked.

In the meantime try raisins, nuts, whole grain crackers, less than 4 oz orange 100% juice. Eat lean meat with meals and some vitamin c 100% juice.

Feel better and get regular sleep.
  • HollyEvans84
    Options
    How much water are you getting everyday? Also how often are you eating? You should be eating about every 2-3 hrs. Snacking on good protein is essential to weight loss and will also keep your energy going throughout the day. If you could also be more specific on what you are eating on a daily basis, I could maybe give you some pointers there as well!
  • jkofahl
    Options
    Don't know the whole story and I've only been at this for just over 2 weeks. Lost 13 lbs so far with 20 more to go. Was dragging because I cut caffiene out of diet and started drinking water almost exclusively. A week in I started having green tea once a day and also got on a very good multi plus fish oil. (LifeEssence is the multi) That has made a huge difference. I haven't had any cravings and am below my calorie goals with no hunger and good energy levels. Only thing I can figure is body was being so poorly nourished by crappy food choices that it was triggering hungry all the time when really what it needed was better nutrition. If your not on a really good multi (not some store brand but the higher dollar kind) then I'd highly recommend it based on my experience. I'm not that with it on all this, just following orders from the nutritionist.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more but I can't see your diary so it's just a guess.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    My advice is not conventional, but I suggest you eat less carbs, and only eat carbs from veggies and nuts. Eating bigger meals further apart (and eating low carb) will actually help your body adjust to burning fat for fuel instead of carbs, and then your energy levels will be more constant.

If you follow everyone else's advice and it still doesn't work, just try this method for a few weeks. You'll feel extra sluggish for the first few days, but then after about 7-10 days you'll feel awesome.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? If you do, how often?
    I found once I started exercising on a regular basis my energy level went way up.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    There are so many reasons for a person's energy to be low.
    Do you need to set a Go-To-Bed-Time...do you tend to push past your proper bedtime?
    Do you have a healing issue in your body like, IBS?
    Is someone draining you emotionally?
    Did you recently cut caffeine?
    Are you dehydrated?
    Do you have too much going on, and need to simplify?

I would simply ask questions in all the areas...physical, mental, spiritual....make a list for each and jot things down as you think of them. Then pick a few key points to address, and begin to knock out those things which are draining your energy:)

Every year, i plan a week-long vacation at a cabin all-by-myself! I rest, fast (yes, water only), pray, sunbathe, and totally let down. It is so regenerating.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? If you do, how often?
    I found once I started exercising on a regular basis my energy level went way up.
    Agree.
    As you start to ask your body to workout, your body will respond by making more energy for you for the next workouts.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Try a B Complex vitamin. It has done wonders for me. I just picked up a bottle at WalMart, nothing special. I actually can't take my pill after 1pm or I can't get to bed until 2am!
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you all gave some really great advice for me to try. To answer a few of your questions, I don't eat as "healthy" as I should. I still have sugar cravings and I drink coffee every morning. I usually eat a skinny cow ice cream sandwich when I get the cravings, and I know those aren't the most healthy option for me. I have been able to cut way back on pop, I don't crave it like I use to, and went from drinking maybe 4 cans a day, to 1 can of pepsi next not everyday, but once in a while. I have begun trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet, I know I haven't been eating all of the right foods, so the food suggestions are great. I usually eat 3 meals a day, with a snack in between, and I drink about 84 oz water daily, take a multi vitamin and a fish oil supplement. I was walking everyday, but recently stopped because I've been so tired. I'm in bed by 10pm up by 6:30am every morning and am a single mother of 2. I'm going to try your food suggestions, get my iron checked, and get back to exercising, hopefully that will help. Oh, and I'm gonna look into that B Complex vitamin. Thanks again!!