Eating well on a budget with a picky child...

Options
So, when it comes to eating healthy I have two main obstacles. Money and a picky child (I guess three if you count my picky husband). I have $250-$300 a month for food for three people. My child is very picky about what she eats and very rarely do we get through a meal without her throwing a fit about how it tastes. Now I understand that she is six years old and this will pass, but for now this is what I have to deal with. We only eat out when one of our families pays for it and they are pretty sick of boring chicken and steamed vegis. This winter I won't have any fresh vegetables, but come spring and summer I will have a very full garden.
So, does anyone have suggestions for delicious tight budgeted meals?

Replies

• Honeykun
    Options
    Saw these recipes on the Steve Harvey show.

I think most people will have these ingredients on hand, (don't want to say everyone cause I don't know your kitchen).

Though feel free to use these if you want. They are not mine, but I've tried the chicken recipe and it's excellent!!! :smile:

1.) Unfried Chicken

Ingredients:
    8 skinless boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of all visible fat (about 1 1/2 pounds)
    1/2 teaspoon Paula Deen’s House Seasoning*
    1/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
    Zest and juice of 1 lemon

2 egg whites
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce

1 1/4 cups cereal crumbs, preferred brand cornflakes
    Cooking Spray, for skillet

Directions: 

1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
    2) Spray a large cast iron skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium high
    3) Sprinkle the chicken with the House Seasoning. In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, lemon zest, juice, egg whites, and hot sauce. Add the chicken; toss to coat
    4) Place the cornflake crumbs in another large bowl. Dip the chicken into the crumbs pressing so the crumbs adhere
    5) Place the chicken in the prepared skillet and then transfer to the oven
    6) Bake until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, 40 – 45 minutes.
    Prep Time: 10 minutes 

Cook Time: 40-45 minutes 

Difficulty: Easy
    Yield: 8 servings

Un-Fried Chicken- 281 calories, 4.2 grams fat

2.) Guiltless Cheesy Mac

Ingredients
    4 cups cooked multigrain elbow macaroni, drained 

3 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
    3 ounces shredded Parmesan

1/2 cup skim milk

2 egg whites
    1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1/4 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon black pepper
    1 bag (16 ounces) frozen petite peas, thawed
    1 cup finely chopped cauliflower
    1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs

Cooking Spray, for baking dish

Directions 

Preheat oven to 350°F.
    1) Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray
    2) In a large bowl, add the cheeses, milk, egg whites, reduced-fat sour cream, mustard, salt, pepper, peas, and cauliflower. Mix ingredients together until combined
    3) After the macaroni has been cooked according to package directions and drained, add your cheese mixture into the warm pot you cooked the macaroni in and stir, the residual heat will help the mixture combine.
    4) Pour into your prepared casserole dish. Evenly sprinkle the whole wheat bread crumbs over the macaroni.
    5) Bake, until the filling is hot and the topping is golden, 35 – 40 minutes. 

Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
    Difficulty: Easy 

Yield: 10 servings

Guiltless Cheesy Mac- 231 calories, 20.7 grams fat
  • Ribbons390
    Options
    I'm 26 and I'm still a picky eater. It may depend on the child but I'd like to say that it's probably best to not assume that it will pass. There may be easier ways to convince the child to eat than to manage your budget around the child. For me, I find that it's an anxiety thing. I've read that if you approach the food as if you are going to like it, instead of how you aren't going to like it, then you can enjoy the new foods more.

I honestly don't know how to help you with the picky child. Some of it may be their likes and dislikes, but it's all psychological after that. :S
  • KeltaRose
    Options
    Thank you honey, those sound wonderful!
    And Ribbon, I agree it's all psychological. She says she doesn't like something before she has even tried it. I'll trick her sometimes by telling her it's similar to something she likes and she is more willing to try it. Or when she says "I'm not eating that" I tell her "You don't have to eat it, you have to try it.... again...." Her tastes have changed several times already, I think she just likes to be difficult at times. She would live on McDonalds and Peanut Butter & Jelly if I would let her lol.
  • Kristin2984
    Options
    For your budget issue, try eating less meat. Thats usually the biggest cost on your grocery bill.

When you serve meat, serve it cut up, think stir fry or casseroles or pasta dishes. Cutting meat up makes it go further. Stir fry might be good for the picky kid as she can only eat the stuff she likes. Hopefully she has one vegetable she likes! There are white pastas that are high in fiber if your family wont eat whole wheat versions. Watch for sales and stock up. Buy the cheap veggies till your garden picks up next year. Root veggies are usually cheaper this time of year. If there is a vegetable you've never cooked but its on sale, just buy it. The internet is full of recipes and cooking tips.

Six year olds usually like stickers so try making her a sticker reward chart. My mom always did this. You make some poster with glitter and let her write her name on it and color all over it. For every food she tries she gets to put a sticker on her chart. Then when she gets to x amount of stickers, she gets some prize. This got me to stop sleeping my parents bed and to do my chores. Most days.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old used to eat whatever I put on her plate if she was hungry, but lately she has gotten very picky. Her tastes change every day and nothing I suggest ever sounds good to her. So I started letting her help me grocery shop. She doesn't get to pick everything she wants of course, but I let her pick the apples and bananas and her cereal, and even which gallon of milk she thinks looks best, lol. It has helped, because when she is in a picky mood I can distract her with praise for the yummy thing she picked out at the store. Then she wants to eat it. I also read how very small portions of 3 or more items on a plate makes food much more appealing to kids. They only have to eat a little bit of each thing. So I bought a pack of tupperware and I keep "lunchable" type meals prepared for her in the fridge. I put 6 to 8 different things in each one with veggies, fruit, crackers, cheese, hard boiled eggs, ect... just little portions of each like 2 cheese cubes, 4 grapes, 2 carrot sticks, 1 cherry tomato, 4 crackers, a slice on avocado with turkey wrapped around it. She loves them, especially because she can open the fridge and help herself, which is fine by me. I'm saving money when she is not wasting food by not eating what I cook for her.
  • KeltaRose
    Options
    Kristin & Codapea, those are both awesome ideas! I like the "lunchable" type meals idea! I already let her help with the grocery shopping, and she loves it. I think it gives her a feeling of accomplishment. The reward chart is an awesome idea. We already use charts like that for chores and good deeds so it's a concept she is already familiar with. :) Thank you guys for your input!
  • ladybird_
    ladybird_ Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar position, I have a family of four that I feed for approx $60-80 per week. My son who is four is the picky one.

Breakfast here is 70% cold cereal (with or without milk, I let them decide), 25% eggs and toast (fried, boiled or scrambled) and 5% waffles/pancakes (depending on if I want to wash a pan or the waffle iron)

Lunch is usually sandwiches and almost always a peanut butter and ______ (I let him decide what he wants in it, sometimes it's banana, homemade jam, jelly or honey.... I do put my foot down when he asks for tuna or turkey or mustard in there :-)

Snacks are fruit, crackers and cheese or cheese sticks.

Dinner can be chicken, rice and cooked veggies, spaghetti and "meat sauce" (I use one Italian sausage that I take out of the skin and sautéed), chicken tenders grilled and served with veggies and dip, or mister picky's favorite... chicken breast that is cooked in cream of ____ soup and frozen mixed veggies, potato, and chopped onion (well he may not know about the onions). There are the occasional different meals but those are the basics, due to budget things like turkey burgers are a splurge for us :-(

Message me if you want more details / ideas, I could use the help too
  • joelygirl29
    Options
    I have a picky 5 year old, and he does the same thing with saying he doesn't like something before he tries it, forgetting most times that he's eaten it before, LOL! This may sound mean compared to some of the other posters, but I don't give him a choice. His only option is to eat the dinner I give him. I won't make him something different to the rest of the family. I can't afford 2 dinners a night. 9 times out of 10, he DOES like the dinner I made and eats it all. Some things he truly doesn't like, if I can see that, I won't make him eat it. After all, I HATE mushrooms and don't eat them myself. But I do require that my som have several tries before he decides if likes or loathes it. Sometimes, and I'm learning this, he'll say he hates what I made, but really, he's not hungry. Then I have him put his dinner in the fridge. When he's ready later, he can eat it. And again, he can't have anything thing else, he has to eat what I made. Also, there are no treats in the evening if he hasn't eaten dinner. So that provides some motivation. He also enjoys helping make dinner. He's more willing to eat it when he feels like he' s had a part in it. He loves to set the table. Involving him during the dinner making process has worked really well for me.

I've also cut out the afternoon snack, I was letting him have. I found that come dinner time, he's ready to eat, and he's more willing to eat what I make. If he's truly hungry, or eaten lightly at school, I'll let him have a snack (not too close to dinner though), but for the most part, skipping it helps alot.

What works one day, sometimes doesn't work the next, so I think that as a parent, having a small arsenal of idea's is helpful.

I can vouch for the meatless meals saving money. I make one meatless meal a week, and it's really helped to save a lot of money. My favorite is tostadas with homemade refried beans and bake my own tostada shells. Spaghetti, beans and cornbread, veggie stir fry, veggie soup, baked potatoes topped with beans & cheese, etc. It also helps keep my creativity up, lol!
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    i have a 4 yr old who is fairly picky. We have a few favourites and then we have occasional meals that I know he won't eat. But if I don't serve him new things he will never be exposed to different foods.

Things that do work.
    - Bolognaise mince - made in slow cooker. I serve half one night with spaghetti. then freeze leftover. It can be reheated as a pasta bake (mix through a tablespoon of cream cheese and bake pasta and mince mixture in oven for 20mins)
    - Breaded chicken with veg and pot.
    - Picnic meal, some cold meat, cheese, salad, boiled egg and new boiled potatoes
    - Fish. Amazingly he loves breaded fish.
    - Slow cooker chicken in a mushrooms sauce served over rice.
    - homeade pizza. He's quite happy to eat some mushroom and pepper if he has made a smiley face on hiz pizza.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Addressing the budget issue, someone once told me to treat meat like a seasoning instead of building the meal around it. My grocery bill has been dramatically cut. I use fresh veggies whenever possible, but frozen if not (never canned, yuck!).

I married a man with three kids. All of them including my husband are picky, but in a weird way. When I first cooked greenbean cassarole, I used frozen green beans. They didn't like it until I cooked it with canned, because they were all use to canned everything. I gave in to that one. But if we (my husband cooks more than I do) make something for dinner they don't like there is an option of PB & J. It's not really unhealthy. My brother use to eat PB & Honey morning noon and night preactically, and he's pretty healthy for 53 yrs. He still eats PB & honey most meals.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You should get your child involved in the cooking and the buying of groceries. My children are the same way. But they (especially me daughter) loves helping me cook and if they help cook it then I normally don't have as much trouble getting them to eat it. Also I was suggest letting them pick out some fresh produce to try once or twic a month. My kids almost always pick something new to try.
  • KeltaRose
    Options
    I have a picky 5 year old, and he does the same thing with saying he doesn't like something before he tries it, forgetting most times that he's eaten it before, LOL! This may sound mean compared to some of the other posters, but I don't give him a choice. His only option is to eat the dinner I give him. I won't make him something different to the rest of the family. I can't afford 2 dinners a night. 9 times out of 10, he DOES like the dinner I made and eats it all. Some things he truly doesn't like, if I can see that, I won't make him eat it. After all, I HATE mushrooms and don't eat them myself. But I do require that my som have several tries before he decides if likes or loathes it. Sometimes, and I'm learning this, he'll say he hates what I made, but really, he's not hungry. Then I have him put his dinner in the fridge. When he's ready later, he can eat it. And again, he can't have anything thing else, he has to eat what I made. Also, there are no treats in the evening if he hasn't eaten dinner. So that provides some motivation. He also enjoys helping make dinner. He's more willing to eat it when he feels like he' s had a part in it. He loves to set the table. Involving him during the dinner making process has worked really well for me.

I've also cut out the afternoon snack, I was letting him have. I found that come dinner time, he's ready to eat, and he's more willing to eat what I make. If he's truly hungry, or eaten lightly at school, I'll let him have a snack (not too close to dinner though), but for the most part, skipping it helps alot.

What works one day, sometimes doesn't work the next, so I think that as a parent, having a small arsenal of idea's is helpful.

I can vouch for the meatless meals saving money. I make one meatless meal a week, and it's really helped to save a lot of money. My favorite is tostadas with homemade refried beans and bake my own tostada shells. Spaghetti, beans and cornbread, veggie stir fry, veggie soup, baked potatoes topped with beans & cheese, etc. It also helps keep my creativity up, lol!

I understand where you are coming from, and my husband enforces this very same rule when he is home because that's the way we were raised. The only problem is that she would just as well not eat anything. She will go without dinner because she doesn't like it and then without breakfast the next morning because she just doesn't feel like eating (I guess?) and I hate to send her to school hungry. This is why I am trying to make meals that she will eat.

Also, I am getting her more involved with the cooking and grocery shopping and it appears to be working for now. I really appreciate all the feedback, this is my first posted topic and I can't believe all the positive feedback. Thank you everyone!