For women over 40...wrinkles after weight-loss?

Options
My family keeps telling me that they're worried if I lose too much weight I'll have more wrinkles...is this true?

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Depends on your skin. Looks like you're Asian, which means you've been blessed with more melanin (I think that's right) than those of us with Northern European ancestry. I'm mostly Irish, which means my skin is likely to age a lot more quickly than yours, independent of external factors like sun exposure, climate where you live, overall diet, etc.

That being said, I have NOT seen more wrinkles on my face with weight loss. My body, however, is a different story. I do have quite a bit of wrinkling on my arms (mostly at the elbows) and legs (knees and thighs), and my stomach looks sort of deflated when I bend over (though it looks good when I'm standing).

All in all, at 49 I'm mostly interested in looking good in clothes -- which I do -- so it doesn't freak me out too much. But I do hate what's happening to my skin. This aging thing is not all it's cracked up to be, is it? :ohwell:

I should say that I've tried every sort of cream out there. Q10, cocoa butter, vitamin E -- you name it. Haven't seen any difference. I've recently started taking fish oil, since it's good for me anyway, and am awaiting a huge transformation ... HA!
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. I have another 80lbs to lose and most in the belly area. Because I am 65. I kinda figure it is going to be a problem. I am going to lose it but might need to start saving for a gummy tuck. Ha ha
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    The younger you are the better your skin will look. Also the less you have to lose the better one's skin will look. It's all about elasticity. My skin was stretched way out and I'm in my fifties. My face is holding up well. Neck not so much and the world will never see me in a bikini. :) BUT I feel great. I look great in smaller clothes. I'm not worried about it. That might have something to do with my age too.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    In my experience, yes, but it doesn't matter. My health comes first.
  • flutternfly
    Options
    I was worried about this, but so far, I've been fine.

I think it also depends on how long you've been carrying the extra weight. I've noticed the last 20-30 pounds, my stomach is sagging and my neck skin is hanging. My arms are fit but the skin is so loose, it wobbles. I might have to get a lift for my arms, inner legs and tummy!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is going to have a different experience - for me, unfortunately, losing weight meant more wrinkles in my face.I've put some weight back on and I think my face looks better than when I was thinner. though my body doesn't.
    So, I have to choose between my face and my body - think I'd rather take the wrinkles.

PS. Tell your family to butt out! You're getting healthier and they should be grateful for that!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    When you eat right and exercise, you just look better.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've got wrinklier as well, but I'll take them over the fat any time. I've added more fat to my diet though, low-fat diets may have caused my skin to dry out because my body didn't get enough to keep it up. Just waiting to see if it gives any results!
  • SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you are going for the weight loss. Take proper diet and go for right exercise. Take proper vitamins this all will help you to lose weight and look beautiful.

http://www.thebeautyinsiders.com/kinerase.html
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Yeah my mom told me that too. Happily, she was wrong! (so far)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's going to depend on genetics and how fast you lose the weight
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Can't remember who it was but I think it was an actress who said when you get older, you can either have a good face or a good body, but not both????
  • GomesDavid
    Options
    My family keeps telling me that they're worried if I lose too much weight I'll have more wrinkles...is this true?

ys its true weight loss can be a huge accomplishment for people who are overweight or trying to shed a few pounds, but dropping weight isn't all gravy. One of the biggest risks of weight loss is how it affects your skin.

If you don't take care of your skin when losing weight, serious consequences can result, including loose skin that can develop wrinkles and, ultimately, stretch marks. This can cause permanent scarring on your skin. Wrinkles can also age your skin's appearance in addition to acting as a precursor to stretch marks.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself this......what is more important....some wrinkles or being healthy? Then tell that to your family. I have noticed i have better skin but do have the wrinkles ( sag) where my extra chin used to be. I would rather feel better .
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Can't remember who it was but I think it was an actress who said when you get older, you can either have a good face or a good body, but not both????

Kathleen Turner. But I believe she said something closer to, "As you age, you have to choose between your face and your *kitten*. I chose my face."
  • maweaver57
    maweaver57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's happening to me right now. I'm optimistic that over time my facial skin will firm up. I think exercise and eating healthy oils will help.
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Catherine Deneuve said that she chose her face over her body. But I think it was only 10- 15 lbs that she was over and she was probably still within normal weight range for her age.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

Kathleen Turner. But I believe she said something closer to, "As you age, you have to choose between your face and your *kitten*. I chose my face."
    THANKYOU.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I choose all of them. And apply all the creams.
  • brit1970
    brit1970 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Once read somewhere that at a certain age a woman has to chose between her face or her bottom lol.......i've reached my target weight but not happy with my skin.....think it is down to genetics as well i'm fair with dry skin and do not age well........might have to eat a few more pound back on....