working out before bed

Options
If I work out at night a little while before I go to bed, do I need to eat anything to "restore & repair" while my metabolism's going or can I just go to sleep? Usually I just have some fruit and call it a night but I don't know what the most effective thing for me to do is. Thank you :)

Replies

• dexter888
    Options
    I think it depends on how hard your working out. Generally if its just cardio I dont think you NEED anything. But it probably doesn't hurt to have a little something (an apple) to help your body :). I find when I workout at night I have a terrible time sleeping but to each his own!
  • ssalmfp
    ssalmfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like working out before bed because it takes me at least a couple hours to wind down enough to where I could even consider falling asleep.
  • xabcdefgee
    xabcdefgee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yea, I prefer not to work out right before bed but sometimes that's the only time I can fit it in so I do what I gotta do.
  • xeanx
    xeanx Posts: 69
    Options
    I always have a protein shake after working out.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I generally workout before bed (mainly because that's when the gym is open at our apt complex).... but I also tend to eat-less or not at all after workouts (I at least have a protein shake, but I'm not hungry)... Days I don't work out in the evening I notice I consume 60-75% of my daily calories within the 9 hours before bed & have a hard time spreading it throughout the day...

Otherwise, working out before bed, or within a few hours, never affects my sleep.
  • linnyc1981
    linnyc1981 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    lots of water!!
  • xabcdefgee
    xabcdefgee Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. For the last week and a half or so I've been trying to limit what I eat after 7pm to just fruits & veggies. I'm a huge snacker and I would totally pig out on junk if I didn't set some boundaries. Usually I'm not too hungry after working out so I just have some grapes, carrots, a cucumber, etc.

Tempe729, working out later in the day motivates me not to screw it up lol
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    When I jogging at night, I would have some cottage cheese and crackers before bed.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd be able to sleep after doing exercise near bedtime! I'd just ensure that you were hydrated and judge the food issue on whether you're feeling hungry or not. Personally I hate sleeping with food in my stomach but everyone's different.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I feel good if I eat peanut butter, a banana, and chocolate milk after a workout. Also check out these post workout snacks
    • Bread, a bagel, or an English muffin with cheese or peanut butter
    • Dried fruit and nuts
    • Cottage cheese with fruit
    • Fruit juice with cheese
    • Yogurt with fruit
    • Veggie omelet with toast or roll
    • Chocolate milk
    • Cereal with milk
    • Eggs and toast
    • Turkey, ham, chicken, or roast beef sandwich
    • Vegetable stir-fry with chicken, shrimp, edamame or tofu
    • Crackers with low fat cheese
    • Rice or popcorn cakes with nut butter
    • Smoothie (with milk, yogurt, or added protein powder)
    • A protein or energy bar
    • A protein or energy shake
    • Pancakes and eggs
    • Any regular meal that contains lean protein, starch, and vegetables

Also check out this website
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/HQ00594_D/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cottage cheese it is a great snack before bed and before bed after a workout is even better!
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    I work out about 2-3 hours before I go to bed. I eat dinner and have a protein shake before bed. I don’t see the point in starving my body and muscles before a nights rest. Good to feed your body and let it recover while sleeping.