Proteins before bed (those that take it, please)

Options
http://www.livestrong.com/article/302686-protein-shakes-before-bed-and-weight-loss/

is this article valid? Should I start planning to stuff proteins before i go to bed? Need some advice. I am slowly making progress, but will the creotine or whatever it is in milk make my body more "active" during sleep? I can tell you that day by day, sometimes i will wake up 3 lbs less than I went to bed, and some nights I lose < 1. I am a man that has to assume there is logic there. It doesn't just happen unless something triggers it. Can anyone assist with this advice? Boy, I need to take a nutrition class, or get a book on this stuff. It interests me for sure.

Replies

• Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yes the article is valid (to the best of my knowledge, my doctor's and research since I started on MFP) but there is a lot of mis-information out there and everyone's body chemistry is different... so.....

I would check out either of these articles.... but from personal experience I've always tried to incorporate protein/casein before bed as it helps me get up and get going in the mornings... I wake up less sore from a previous day of exercise and less hungry (so I can generally squeeze-in a light jog or fast walk before getting ready for the rest of the day--breakfast, shower, etc.-- without feeling the side-effects of running on an "empty stomach")

http://news.menshealth.com/the-best-thing-to-eat-before-bed/2012/02/24/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/524139-taking-whey-protein-before-bed/

hope it helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    There is no creatine in milk.

If you get your daily allowance of protein during the day there is no NEED to have a protein shake before bed.

You lose weight overnight through dehydration, this is not muscle loss.

If you want to then great but don't feel like you have to have one to make progress.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I was told by my trainer that if i felt the need for a snack after dinner then something protein would be best. She suggested an EASadvantage carb control shake. So that is what i do if i still feel hungry or just want something....they come in several flavors . High protein , low carb , no sugar and 110 calories.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Catabolism takes place at night when you're fasting. I take a slow digesting protein shake at night to fend it off.
  • sexybeast1998
    sexybeast1998 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i take casein before bed. its a slow digesting protein that supplies your bloodstream with amino acids for upto 8 hours.
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Casein supplements all the way.
    it's a slow digesting protein or you can eat cottage cheese before sleeping with 30 minute.
  • sexybeast1998
    sexybeast1998 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Casein supplements all the way.

amen
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's valid that casein is a slow digesting protein. There are other methods of supplementing fat as well to further slow digesting.

However, it doesn't validate whether anyone ever needs to have a slow digesting protein though.
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    On days I workout in the evening I drink a protein shake after, and in the morning I feel so much better. Not nearly as sore and more rested. Before I drank them, I never felt satisfied and would be up raiding the fridge at midnight. Last night for example, I did the first day of P90x... I shouldn't be able to move this morning, judging from how I felt last night. But this morning I feel great! Still can feel the workout, but not as bad as when I did it before without the protein shakes. Just make sure you get one low in carbs as our bodies will store carbs taken in before bed as fat.
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

If you get your daily allowance of protein during the day there is no NEED to have a protein shake before bed.

If you want to then great but don't feel like you have to have one to make progress.

all of this.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

all of this.

Not the daily allowance of protein. You need slow digesting protein at night to prevent break down of muscle. By the end of the day all the protein you ate has already served its purpose and is out of your system.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Not the daily allowance of protein. You need slow digesting protein at night to prevent break down of muscle. By the end of the day all the protein you ate has already served its purpose and is out of your system.

Not really. That's one of the things that the supplement companies push so you buy casein.

I do typically eat cottage cheese later in the evening, because it helps me feel full, but catabolism isn't a concern of mine while sleeping. The amount of muscle tissue breakdown is extremely overplayed..........
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

all of this.

At what time GMT does my body magically lose all of it's protein? I'd hate to drink my magic milk drink just before this, otherwise it would be pointless because my body would then lose all of the protein in my casein drink too.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Also bump
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

all of this.

Incorrect. Blood amino acids remain elevated for a whole lot longer than protein supplement companies would like you to believe. Edit: additionally this question is somewhat context dependent.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    dont worry about sleeping after drinking milk
    Actually, when I have trouble falling asleep, I drink a cup of hot milk and fall asleep like a baby :)
    Milk contains the hormon Melatonin and that is what makes you sleep better :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

all of this.

^^agreed
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    teh catabolizm is a monster that comes out at night to steal your muscles.

It's why I wake up at 2am to grill fish.