48 yr newly diagnosed diabetic. Love MFP

Options
Hello,
I'm a 48 yr old male that was just diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes 2 weeks ago. I was 245lbs at the begining of summer and developed a a major thirst that made me drop to 212. This was the indicator to my doctor that I was diabetic. Sugar was 220 so she put me on Metformin and told me to change my eating habits. I used to eat late and the wrong things. Never ate breakfast nor lunch.
A nutritionist told me to track my eating habits and carbs but who has time for that. She suggested an app to do this but I changed phones and really didnt remember what the app was called. So, I searched around and stumbled onto MFP. Major cool!
It makes logging very simple especially with the bar code scanner. Quick and easy. Great reports. So far I'm down to 205. I want to ultimitely get to 165-170lbs and not have to take any medication and say goodbye to diabetes with a proper diet and the help of MFP.
:smile:

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kimberlee, 49. Losing wt. and eating right can sure help with diabetes. When I started losing my wt. I was able to get off insulin and go on 2 oral medication...glyburide and metformin. And then I was able to get off some of the glyburide. I, too, have problems with late night eating/snacking. I do, however, eat breakfast and lunch to keep my blood sugars stable. Please feel free to add me.
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    You'll make it. It's a lifestyle change that takes a lot of getting used to. You've got tons of support here. :smile:
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    Kimberlee, you are amazing! You were able to get off the insulin? That's one of my biggest goals right now.
  • tsmothers45
    Options
    Hello! I'm Tim and I have been exactly where you are. I was diagnosed as being diabetic several years ago but didn't do much about it until 6 months ago. In the last 6 months I have lost 55 pounds thanks to MFP, my Fitbit and a lot of will power! As of yesterday I am off all of my diabetes medication. It can happen! I have a way to go before I hit my goal but my first major milestone has been achieved! Good luck to you as you work toward your goal!
  • Deathofafatgirl
    Options
    Hiya, I have been type 2 diabetic for over 37 years. My A1c was always 9.7 or higher. ALWAYS. That is up until 2 months ago. My starting weight was 320lbs. I'm f 5'9 I was on 2 different insulin's plus 1000mg of metformin a day. I ate like crap, and felt like crap. I lost 110lbs and need to lose 25 more. But the point is I am off all my medications for diabetes.I started the keto diet (high fat/protein low carb) and cut out the fast food, and sugar. It helped tremendously. I don't know if it will be what works for you but its worth the look into. I currently just started a low cal diet and not doing the keto diet since I crave fruit and veges that werent allowed on the diet but its really easy to stick to and I have 0 willpower. Good luck on your journey.
  • shirleydawson
    shirleydawson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Tim, what is a fitbit?
  • bharriscar
    bharriscar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Boarder line diabetic on 12-1-2011. Started MFP on 1-2-2012. On 5-1-2012 lost enough weight to where numbers were good and quite taking 1 of 2 blood pressure pills, per doc. Goal is 15 more pounds to get in healthy range of BMI. Good luck to you.