Tough Mudder

Options
Who has completed the tough mudder? It looks a wee bit more intense than the mud runs I have looked at. I'm am registering to do a Tough Mudder in the Boston, MA area in May 2013 with my sister-in-law. She's a beast who also happens to be beautiful. I know I have to start running but I'm looking for some good advice from those who have done it. For those of you who have, congratulations! It looks painful, but in a good way.

Replies

• 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I want to try one, but need to work out more first. Good luck, they say its hard!!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I've heard that they are really hard but that the people who run them are wonderful and will help each other with the obstacles! Good luck!
  • msorell
    Options
    can i go with you too?? please? sleepover?
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I was just speaking to someone who did her first Tough Mudder this past spring. She said that it was definitely hard and it took her and her husband 5.5 hours to complete. She said that a lot of fit (i.e., thin) people were being taken out with hypothermia. She said that you really need a team in order to complete some of the obstacles. She and her husband banned with a group of others who did not have a full team in order to help each other out. The ice bath does not sound like fun. She said that she felt the beginning of hypothermia and was not able to think clearly in order to get out.

I really don't think that I could get through one! I can't wait to hear how you do!

13 miles and 20 obstacles!!!! EEK!!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i haven't done tough mudder. i have done 2 other mud runs though. i heard tough mudder is extreme with a capital E. obviously it can be done but you do need to train, train, train for it. serious training is a must. i'm not sure i could do this but i also said i couldn't run 6 miles and i finished a 10k (although i did walk 3/4 mile) so who knows. if you've done mud runs before you at least know what to expect. i say go for it!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Haven't done it, but it is one of my fitness goals to complete one. From talking to people who have done it the big advice I get is running hills and to really work on upper body.

Best of luck!
  • 180farm
    Options
    I'm getting scared. 6 months of hard training ahead of me. Eye of the tiger. Eye of the tiger.
  • 180farm
    Options
    can i go with you too?? please? sleepover?
    Absolutely! I'm going to have to catch up with all of you that have been running for a while now.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    I talked to someone at the gym who did the tough mudder in 3 hrs. He is extremely fit and strong. He is not a runner but strength trains. He recommened that I strengthen my legs to make the trail run.

He trained for 3 months. Make sure you have a team or partner to do it with.

He said it was the best thing he did. So now my friends and I have decided to do it in July 2013.

. Good luck!!!!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I *just* signed up to do the one in Austin in April. I am in the middle of progressing from a 10k training to a half marathon training. I plan on doing the Tough Mudder circuit training (from their site) maybe one day a week with my normal strength training 2 days a week.

I REALLY need to build upper body strength. These noodle arms arent going to get me up and over anything! :noway:
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I just signed up too, fo rthe one in Toronto in May 2013. I am super excited. I did zombie run this past September, which was my very first run. It was a blast.

My preperation? I want to complete New Rules of Lifting for Women and then do some of the training programs on the website. We havea team of about 6 right now.
  • I'm running my second Mud on the Mountain this coming saturday. It's similar to A Tough Mudder. I've been training for several months at my gym. I take a Functional Fitness class (tons of lunges, squats, push-ups, kettle bells - insanity style) 3 -4 times a week and then running 2-3 miles on my off days. I should run more...but I hate running :) Stick with your sister-in-law/team and you'll have a ton of fun!! You'll feel so amazing afterwards! Good luck!!
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I *just* signed up to do the one in Austin in April. I am in the middle of progressing from a 10k training to a half marathon training. I plan on doing the Tough Mudder circuit training (from their site) maybe one day a week with my normal strength training 2 days a week.

I REALLY need to build upper body strength. These noodle arms arent going to get me up and over anything! :noway:

I'm planning on signing up for this one as well!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get really interested in Tough Mudder. The next one near me is in October 2013. I probably need to start training now - and the ice bath does not look fun. Nor does the electric shock.
  • 180farm
    Options
    Since when are ice baths and electrocution not fun?!? Hahaha I love that there is a bunch of us doing it. My team is getting bigger every day. I'm looking forward to being in the best shape of my life by the time May rolls around.
  • tomcat941
    tomcat941 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a mate who did it, and showed us some videos, and it looked interesting. Me and a few of my other mates really want to do it, but we need to build up our fitness first. The electruction part seems difficult though, but the majority of it seems fun. THe ice bath is just mind over matter i think, although you deffiantly want something warm. You also have to sign a contract at the start stating that your relatives can't sue if you die, so yeah, it is intense haha. Make sure your heart is up to it, certainly go and see a doctor.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I haven't done one yet, but am signed up for one in Toronto 2013.....very excited, but nervous too. We have a pretty good team, but need to train hard as one team member is very fit and intense.