Help.. need some support.

Options
I have to wait 5 more months for bariatric surgery as my doctor didn't document all the times we discussed weight loss and nutrition, exercise, etc. I just found out today. I usually turn to eating when depressed, angry, sad, any emotion and have been trying really hard lately. How do you all stay on track when things go wrong or when you have had a stressful day, tired, etc? I need to learn some healthier ways to cope.

Thanks!

Replies

• elizcar
    Options
    I now tend to go for a walk. Shopping also buti then I'm broke :(. My emotions have been all over before and after surgery. I cry for no reason sometimes, sometimes I'm angry for no reason or snap at people. Weight loss is not an easy journey. You will have your ups and downs but you can do this. You are a strong.
  • ERolandoRN
    Options
    Thanks :) I think I needed to hear that. I like to shop too, but with a broken microsave and paying for all these tests, no extra money right now. I didn't overeat today because I was frustrated, which is a first for me, so maybe I am making strides. Will talk to doc on the 7th and see what he can do, if anything, since he is the one that didn't document either! Ugh... oh well. Will just work on making these changes over the next 5 months I guess.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think you would be surprised how much you can do in 5 months. Walking is the easiest way to start a stress relief work out. It's easy on the joints and you can go at your pace!!

Don't wait for surgery. There are lots of options out there. Surgery has lots of risks. My goal is to lose 90 lbs total. If it takes me 2 years that's fine.

Try walking around your neighborhood. Parking further away from the grocery store doors. Get some easy snacks that you can pack that are not a hassle.

Try cooking on Sunday for at least 3-4 days. Freeze it individually so it's a grab n go!!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    When I first went to my bariatric surgeon, he told me he wanted me to lose 90 pounds before he'd put in the lap band. I couldn't believe that, but understood his reasoning - they've had better success when they do it with people who are at a 60 BMI. I was at least 64 BMI. I've now lost 105-106 pounds, still haven't had the surgery because I decided not to - at least just yet anyway.

I just kept making small changes. One step at a time. Focus on what you can do today to put you in a better position tomorrow, and it'll happen. You can do it!!
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I know so many people who have had surgery and gained all the weigh back because they never learned to live a healthy lifestyle, including healthy coping. The risk and expense of surgery is too great to go into it without having the lifestyle change needed to sustain the weight loss. I could get surgery, I'm definitely fat enough, but can't afford it and don't want complications I've seen other people suffer through - so I decided to lose the weight the old fashioned way. It will take me a long time, but I'm on my way and really feeling good. Who knew that working out six days per week could be enjoyable?
  • suckerlove
    Options
    I started working out months before my surgery and in the weeks before I was so nervous and felt like I'd never be able to eat anything "good" again, I gained back all I lost. I recommend trying to lose as much as you can before and get yourself used to eating well so you don't feel so deprived in the early days after and get frustrated. Good luck with your surgery. I had the lap band back in April and am now down over 50 lbs. I really wish you the very best of luck.
  • xeanx
    xeanx Posts: 69
    Options
    When I feel like eating I will pick something low in calories like fruits and vegetables or drink more water. I buy zero calorie drink mix and drink that till I feel full.
  • ERolandoRN
    Options
    Thanks so much! I have lost 7 since seieng the dietician and implementating, slowly, the lifestyle changes she recommended. Biggest one is cutting out fast food and pop. I will take your tips and suggestions to heart. I don't feel so bad about it now.. I guess I can use this time to focus on the changes I need to make.

Thank you!!!
  • katiebeee
    katiebeee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ERolandoRN,
    Morning! It seems like what you were asking for are ways to cope that don't involve eating. I think with this, just as with anything, the key is to start small and you can eventually create a whole tool bag of good coping behaviors. I have a problem with eating when I am bored. Some days are slow at work, and on those days at about 3:00pm, I'll be in the kitchen at work hunting for crackers or chicken salad or peanuts, when I shouldn't be. So, I've got a plan. When I think I'm about to head to the kitchen I'm going to start looking for tasks to complete instead. Potential tasks - clean out my file drawer, dust my desk, take a walk around the building, etc. If I stay focused on developing behaviors to do when I get bored they will eventually become second nature and will happen almost automatically.
    1. Identify the emotion/state that causes you to eat.
    2. Develop a small, acheivable plan to cope before the emotion strikes.
    3. Practice your coping behavior over and over again.
    I wish you the best of luck on your journey!
  • ERolandoRN
    Options
    ERolandoRN,
    Morning! It seems like what you were asking for are ways to cope that don't involve eating. I think with this, just as with anything, the key is to start small and you can eventually create a whole tool bag of good coping behaviors. I have a problem with eating when I am bored. Some days are slow at work, and on those days at about 3:00pm, I'll be in the kitchen at work hunting for crackers or chicken salad or peanuts, when I shouldn't be. So, I've got a plan. When I think I'm about to head to the kitchen I'm going to start looking for tasks to complete instead. Potential tasks - clean out my file drawer, dust my desk, take a walk around the building, etc. If I stay focused on developing behaviors to do when I get bored they will eventually become second nature and will happen almost automatically.
    1. Identify the emotion/state that causes you to eat.
    2. Develop a small, acheivable plan to cope before the emotion strikes.
    3. Practice your coping behavior over and over again.
    I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

Thank you so much! I love those tips and yeah, emotional eating is something I need to learn to avoid or just habitual eating, eating because I just used to then. I will use these tips. Thanks!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I just tend to think about what I've done upto that point and think whether ruining those 2-3 or however many months of hardwork, sweat etc are worth it for a quick binge. How helpful that is to you I have no idea but that's my thinking :)