Trying to Get My 10 Year Old Boy Fit too.

Options
So my son is slightly over weight, and its totally my fault. I need to do better with portion control for him, because he has an appetite like a full grown man. He also is a bugger eating fruit and veggies, always has been. Its a complete war to get him to eat anything other than broccoli and apples. Today we started counting calories for him to try and get a handle on things, with I figured since I am doing it, he would like to as well. I am so concerned about giving him a complex and poor body image. I was really thin as a kid and teenager and never had issues. I know friends that did, and they turned out to be very insecure people.
Tomorrow morning, he is going to the gym with me to "ride the bike" while I work out. He is really excited about it. Im not sure what level to put him on, maybe the easiest to start.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Replies

• sunshine525
    sunshine525 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Have you discussed this with his doctor? I'm not sure I would concentrate on calories so much. Serve healthy meals. Let him have fun in physical activities. Let him help you set the bike level. If you make it work, he's not going to keep doing it. Be active with him, and keep it FUN!
  • MrBinkerton
    MrBinkerton Posts: 109
    Options
    Does your son enjoy video games!? The Wii fit is awesome and might help get him a little more active. I enjoy the games!!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Take him to the library....they have some great cookbooks just for kids and teens. There are ingredients in some of them that he probably hasn't ever had...but he may try it. You could also check out a few books on world cuisine (try Japanese one night, Thai another, Indian...ect, we do this once a week).
    Teach him about nutrients and that in order to get them he needs to 'eat the rainbow'.
    Here's a link to B&N and their kids cooking...there are dozens of options.
    http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=KIDS&WRD=cook
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    Welllllll...

Let me start by saying that my son is only three, so I haven't been there or done that yet, so I'm only speaking from that weird place in my mind where opinions come from. What I would think you should do with him for the time being is simply make changes. Don't put him on a "diet." Don't make him "exercise." But do start to refuse to bring the junk into the house, buy fruits and veggies, and if he's truly hungry, I'll bet ya he ends up finding at least one or two he can tolerate as snacks. Taking him to the gym is a great idea, just don't push him. I would think at ten he's still young enough that changes can be made relatively easily (compared to if he were fifteen,) and if you stick with it, then he'll have adequate time to learn how to make the right decisions by the time the choices are his.

But no matter how you choose to go about it, I want to applaud you for stepping up and making the changes now. You said you were not a fat kid, but I was, and it was a miserable, hideous experience for me, and my mother refused to do anything to help me even when I would beg. Just by stepping in right now and making small changs here and there, you could be making a world of difference for his future well-being, both physical and emotional.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    (I see these same issues in my 10 year old brother, so I speak from sisterly experience.)

This isn't about giving him a complex. This is about teaching him nutrition and health. Make sure he realizes that, and make sure you focus your own thoughts on that.

Check with his pediatrician to ensure you know what his daily caloric intake should be. Ask the doc what deficit he should be at with calories. Sloooooow weight loss for him is probably best.

Portion control is important for us all, and we all are guilty of over-portioning. It will be eye opening for him if he has to do the math of the calories (and mathematically beneficially too!) while you cook together. He can use the measuring cups and realize what a true portion looks like, what a cup of food looks like.

Let him know this is about HEALTH and when we are overweight, HEALTH usually equates to weightloss, but that is just an added bonus.

Him riding a bike in the gym is healthy and teaches him the importance of exercise. Just monitor him so he doesn't overdo it.

You know your son the best. You will do great. :flowerforyou:
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Some really really good points. He is such a stubborn debater and knows everything at 10. :) I wrote him a letter( i do this at times when we struggle to communicate because he really reads it and can't debate). The letter says how proud I am of him, he is a beautiful person inside and out, but we both need to make changes. He has seen changes in me both emotionally and physically in the last 10 weeks. I figured if I could set the example, he would follow. He's such a good boy. Im hoping the gym works out so we can have "special time together". He is very competetive, in the letter I challenged him to eat right, get fit, and make it happen! He loves a challenge. Phoenix, so funny you mentioned the measuring thing. Today he was insulted by the bowl of ceral I gave him. I measured it and we were both in shock how many calories two bowls would be. He is aware. Also I am sticking to the no snacks after 7, except fruits and vegs. The kid would rather starve than eat that. :)
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Wow! First of all, a HUGE congratulations to you for giving your son the gift of health. You have probably already heard the statistic that we are the first generation in history to raise children whose life expectancy is shorter than our own. Childhood obesity has skyrocketed in the past decade, along with type II diabetes (which used to be called adult-onset diabetes until it started turning up in kids) and fatty liver disease.

I'll get off the soapbox and tell you that I feel your pain, because 4 years ago I adopted my 8 year old nephew, 30 pounds overweight, with a host of problems from allergies to eczema attention deficit disorder (according to teachers, not medically diagnosed). He was addicted to fast food and video games. He came to us with a bag of medications, and refused to eat anything except a plain McDonalds cheeseburger with fries (and he would pick off the pointy ends of the fries). He was raised on Spaghetti O's, Mac and cheese, and fast food. It was nothing for him to sit in front of a video game box for hours with a bag of chips.

Bottom line...we took him off junk food cold turkey, he started walking with me every night (great bonding time) and I put a pedometer on him (let the arrows fly) and paid him $2 a day if he hit 10k steps. The only one who thought I was doing the right thing was his doctor. My friends generally didn't agree with me ('kids should be able to eat whatever they want' and 'how can you make him work out?' I also made him brush his teeth and take showers...all part of my responsibility to teach him to be healthy

He's now a healthy weight. He runs outside -- on his own -- every day after homework; says it's fun and he feels good. No more attention deficit issues. Honor student. He wants to compete in a kids 5K in a couple of months. No allergies, no medications, no eczema. I still have to monitor the screen time, and bug him when he's had enough ("You're done...go play outside! I sound like my mom, but when I was a kid only the 'weird' kids stayed inside.)

Skip the counting calories for now...there's an easier way.
    *Go 'junk food free' in the house. Just clean it out. Lots of resources out there for kid-friendly healthy snacks...just check the 'net.
    *Tell him he can eat as much as he wants, as long as its fruits, veggies, and good stuff. Have lots of it around.
    *No fast food at all for awhile. He'll probably get enough of that at school anyway (unless he packs a lunch!)
    *Know what you're making for dinner every day by 10 AM. 4 out of 5 Americans don't know whats for dinner by 4 PM; one reason why fast food outlets make so much $$.
    *Have him do some activity every day, preferably with you. Walking after dinner is great, or riding the bike, as you said. Hike on Sunday mornings, etc.
    *Get him outside as much as possible. Fresh air (and vitamin D sunshine!) is natures health supplement.
    *Limit 'screen time'. TV, computer, video games to no more than an hour a day. We don't allow video games on school days at all.
    *If he has a TV or computer in the bedroom, bring it out of the bedroom. We don't get to see our kids enough as it is!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Also I am sticking to the no snacks after 7, except fruits and vegs. The kid would rather starve than eat that. :)

:laugh: Sounds like my daughter. She will go without rather than eat a dinner she doesn't like. It's your choice, kiddo!! lol
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    You have probably already heard the statistic that we are the first generation in history to raise children whose life expectancy is shorter than our own. Childhood obesity has skyrocketed in the past decade, along with type II diabetes (which used to be called adult-onset diabetes until it started turning up in kids) and fatty liver disease.
    I had not heard this before.
    It sent shivers down my spine.
    No allergies, no medications, no eczema.
    I experienced this in my own body, once I lost enough weight. The human body is AMAZING. If we treat it right, it will treat us well!
    Skip the counting calories for now...there's an easier way.
    *Go 'junk food free' in the house. Just clean it out. Lots of resources out there for kid-friendly healthy snacks...just check the 'net.
    *Tell him he can eat as much as he wants, as long as its fruits, veggies, and good stuff. Have lots of it around.
    I only disagree slightly with this because my brother will eat fruit.... too much fruit. And his portion control is non-existent. He eats twice what I do. And I feel that if they can visualize what a portion looks like and how many calories are in that portion, they are more easily able to understand how important it is.
    *Know what you're making for dinner every day by 10 AM. 4 out of 5 Americans don't know whats for dinner by 4 PM; one reason why fast food outlets make so much $$.
    I feel like you are talking about me here!! I rarely ever know what is for dinner. I know what is in the fridge, but not what exactly we are eating. However, I use to be good to plan a week of dinners, which helps with the grocery list! I am trying to get back to that.
    *Have him do some activity every day, preferably with you. Walking after dinner is great, or riding the bike, as you said. Hike on Sunday mornings, etc.
    *Get him outside as much as possible. Fresh air (and vitamin D sunshine!) is natures health supplement.
    Oh I wish spring were here already!!!!
    *If he has a TV or computer in the bedroom, bring it out of the bedroom. We don't get to see our kids enough as it is!
    I've always agreed with this statement! It seems that kids with tvs in their rooms don't spend nearly enough time with their parents. At least watch tv in the family where, where the 'rents can harass you!!! (And monitor what you watch too!)

GREAT POST!!!
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    wow. that is a true inspiration for me. Great idea about the junk food. Should be an interesting couple of days. We are leaving for vacation in two weeks ( a cruise with buffets). Its going to be interesting. I just dont want to be the "you cant have this and you cant have that." I feel like I am always harping on it. I dont want it to be a negative battle, its very frustrating. I feel as though I have let him have the upper hand at times and let him have too much say in a debate. Im going to try what you said. It sounds great :) thank you so much.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Try some funky fruits and veg...star fruit, figs, quince, blood orange, guava, lychee, papaya, daikon radish, pattypan squash, Jicama, taro, cassava, and seaweeds. These are all very tasty and weird looking. Take him to a farmers market or Whole Foods (if there's one close to you) and have him pick out one thing he's never eaten and try it.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    You're doing a great job!! What an awesome mom. Don't feel guilty about saying "you can't have this, you can have that". We do it with all kinds of things. It's called being a parent, and teaching. It's easier to give in to our kids with all kinds of stuff, but our ultimate responsibility as parents...at least minimally...is to raise a healthy child. You won't screw up their head with 'food issues' if you're teaching them what makes their body strong, and what will make them feel weak and sick. A strong, energetic body is the goal...not 'thin to look good' stuff. I will buck the trend and say it's not child abuse to tell your kids what they can and can't eat, to limit junk food, and to encourage exercise. Someone on MFP shared a cool video from Jamie Oliver (The Naked Chef) and winner of the 2010 TED award...take a look!
    http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html
    Have fun on your cruise!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    what a great mama you are!

one little piece of advice i have is have him make the salad and he might start eating it out of pride because he 'made' it. both my boys 'hate' tomatos, but i knew i was making rachael ray's tomato, bacon and leek spagetti for supper so i had my 8-year-old in the kitchen, chopping the leeks and rinsing them, pouring in the can of italian tomatos, etc and both boys ate their spagetti and wanted more. if *i* would have made it and set it on the table, there would have been tons of complaints and a struggle to even get them to try it.

if he already will eat broccoli, try making a salad with broccoli and include another vegetable he doesn't like as much with it. for example:
    1 head of broccoli, cut off the stalk
    1 head of cauliflower, cut off the stalk
    1 small can sliced black olives
    1 bottle zesty italian dressing
    combine.

or since he likes apple, start adding apple chunks or sliced apples to your lettuce salad, then move on to pears, etc. 'hide' as many vegetables in your food as you can. you can grate carrots, zucchini, squash, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, etc into anything that has a sauce (sloppy joes, pizza sauce, spagetti, taco meat, meatloaf, etc.)

it takes at least 10 times of tasting a foreign food for our taste buds to become used to it. :) keep putting it on the plate.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Deceptively Delicious is a great cook book for adding in fruits in veggies to normal recipes and making healthier desserts. You can also research substitutions to make recipes healthier, less fattening and have less sugar and calories.

Also, have a lot of the good stuff around.. remove the junk. Put snack foods out in portions for the day. Plan his snacks like you would plan yours. It is possibly. When I taught elementary school and had parties all of the healthy stuff (fruits, veggies, etc) were the first things to disappear and I was left with all the junk (candy, cakes, chips, etc).

Take soda out of his diet completely and limit juice. Buy low fat or non fat dairy products. If he likes hot dogs buy all white meat turkey dogs. . . there are ways to get the bad foods out with out taking away all of his favorite things.
  • Newme4eva
    Newme4eva Posts: 15
    Options
    My advice to you is to put him in sports activities and introduce him to healthy foods. I tried this with my 9 year old who is still a little overweight but has lost 7 lbs. since he last checked in with the Doctor. The Doctor was very happy and just told me that if he stays at his current weight that he will grow out of it...so I'm just trying to stick with healthier options and sports activities...Good Luck :smile:
  • emberd
    emberd Posts: 36
    Options
    My 13 year old son is a tad overweight too. He is super athletic and just hitting puberty so I'm not too worried in the long run, but because me and my husband are both very very overweight, I decided to hold a family meeting. We had a meeting and I told my husband and son my concerns for my health, and my husband shared his concerns too. We set some goals for the family, like we are only going to have a take out meal 1 time per week and we're only ordering 1 serving for everyone. No more 2 large pizzas sitting around for us to binge on. When I cook, I'm not cooking leftovers. I'm cooking just enough, and if you're still hungry then you can have fruit or veggies. We are also keeping sweets and pop out of the house. For fitness I put a chart up by the treadmill and each family member logs their minutes. When we get to 1000 minutes we get a treat. This month it's Wii Fit. My son has surprisingly been on board with the whole program. I don't weigh him, nor do I encourage that, but he says that he has more energy during basketball and is definitely able to keep up better. That's what worked for us. Sounds like you're doing a good job by helping him make some healthy choices!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I still have to monitor the screen time, and bug him when he's had enough ("You're done...go play outside! I sound like my mom, but when I was a kid only the 'weird' kids stayed inside.)

Balance9 - I was one of the weird kids who stayed inside... but not anymore!!! What a great post! When I read what you said about our children's life expectancy is so shocking! There are so many parents out there that need to know that!

You moms are an inspiration to me! I can't wait to be a Mom and hopefully make great choices for my children's eating habits. It can't be easy! I feel like there aren't enough hours in the day without having a family. The way I ate as a child has lead me straight into the path of the unhealthy life I've been living. I don't want to blame my parents, they didn't know any better really.

At the gym I work out at there is an interactive bike with a screen showing a biking trail - that would be great for a child who is somewhat new to exercising!

Good luck!!!! Sounds like you are more than on the right track! :smile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I SO wish my mom had tried to teach me more about nutrition when I was a child. I'm not sure she really understands it herself.
    In her defense, she had an insane amount on her plate, so to speak, and I do feel like she would try to control what I ate by trying to not buy a huge amount of junk food. But the problem was my grandmother bought me CRAZY amounts of junk food. She would tell me to hide it from my mom! I know she was just trying to be nice. She's 85 and STILL does this to me. Last time I went to visit her a few weeks ago I came home with probably 3 pounds of chocolate (all but 2 bites were given away, by the way :wink:). It almost makes me cry to think about it now, but I can remember as a kid eating like and entire package of cookies or an entire bag of chips for an entire box of Little Debbie cakes IN ONE SITTING. Those habits carried over into adulthood. Until 6 months ago I had *never* been able to reliably & consistently control my binge eating. I ate my feelings as a kid and I had a whole lot of bad feelings to eat since I had a less than stellar family life and was always teased at school (I was the smart fat kid everyone loved to pick on.. I guess everyone loves to pick on everyone, but when I was a kid I didn't know that & I thought I was being targeted). I was really active as a kid until I was about 10 or 11 and that's when I got really into reading and music and I almost never went outside for actual physical activity.

I understand being sensitve about the possibiltiy of giving him body image issues. But, frankly, he's 10, he's chubby, and he's about to hit puberty. Body image issues are kind of inevitable. Just go about it in a straightforward and educational kind of way -- like you want to share what you've learned rather than making it seem like you're teaching him because he needs to learn since he's chubby.

I think it's fantastic you want to work with him. :smile:
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    It almost makes me cry to think about it now, but I can remember as a kid eating like and entire package of cookies or an entire bag of chips for an entire box of Little Debbie cakes IN ONE SITTING.

Oh my gosh! Makes me want to cry too! I once ate a whole easter basket full in one sitting and was sick for days! Wow! and my mom still wants to give me easter candy! I just keep saying "mom, I'm on a diet"

Shanerylee- You should keep us posted! I'd like to know if he learns to like some new veggies! I could learn to like more myself!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Some really really good points. He is such a stubborn debater and knows everything at 10. :) I wrote him a letter( i do this at times when we struggle to communicate because he really reads it and can't debate). The letter says how proud I am of him, he is a beautiful person inside and out, but we both need to make changes. He has seen changes in me both emotionally and physically in the last 10 weeks. I figured if I could set the example, he would follow. He's such a good boy. Im hoping the gym works out so we can have "special time together". He is very competetive, in the letter I challenged him to eat right, get fit, and make it happen! He loves a challenge. Phoenix, so funny you mentioned the measuring thing. Today he was insulted by the bowl of ceral I gave him. I measured it and we were both in shock how many calories two bowls would be. He is aware. Also I am sticking to the no snacks after 7, except fruits and vegs. The kid would rather starve than eat that. :)

I'm already 19, but I know I would have cried (happy tears) if my mom did that for me. That's beautiful, you're a great mom!