Should I still count my walking breaks

Options
I have been taking 15 minute walking breaks during work for 2 years now. I feel like my body should have gotten used to them and probably isn't burning the calories during them as I once did. I don't necesarily do it for the exercise as I do it just to get out of the office and get my blood flowing.

So should I continue to count it or perhaps only log it as half (8mins)? What does everyone else do?

Replies

• bondavbriwil
    bondavbriwil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do log walks but would not log 15 min walks. That would lead to me logging walking at the mall or something. But you've lost 81 pounds already, which is like crazy fantastic. I think you've earned the right to do whatever you want with your logging. Great work man.
  • bondavbriwil
    Options
    Thank you. It certainly has taken a long time. I see youve lost 50lbs yourself. Thats awesome.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother. I used to log my 30 min walks at lunch but now I just count them as daily activity. Congrats to both of you on huge losses btw!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    People seem to be answering a slightly different question than you are asking. Like the others say, I don't log short walks (Between shopping, walking the dog, and other daily activities, my log would be full). That said, you are still burning more or less the same calories on those walks as you ever did, so if you've always logged them, there's probably no harm in continuing. Your body doesn't really "get used" to exercise in the sense that it stops burning calories or starts to burn fewer of them. You might get more efficient in your movements which might cause a slight decrease in the burn, and you might be carrying less weight, but the effects of either of those while walking is pretty minimal.

Your body will "get used" to exercise in the sense that you won't see more gains in strength or endurance unless you increase your distance, but lifting your legs still requires the same amount of energy regardless of conditioning.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I do not log walking that is part of shopping at the mall, etc. However, I do take short walk breaks at work as frequently as possible. Sometimes it is only 10 minutes, sometimes it is 40(during my lunch break). My rule for myself is that I don't log anything under 15 minutes, I just count that as a bonus But if it is 15 minutes or more, it gets logged. It has worked for me so far.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    if it is something that you have been doing for the last 2 years consistantly, then i would just calculate that into your activity level
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I would not log it because it is part of your daily activity....just think of those as bonus calories burned.

Congrats on the weight loss!
  • bondavbriwil
    Options
    Thank you for the information everybody. That is the direction I was kind of leaning towards that it probably is part of my daily activity level now.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think if your activity level is sedentary- and you work at a desk all day, then sure, you could add your walks. But if you're active....maybe not. :)