ALMOST there and need some help for the final stretch

Options
Hey Everyone!

I'm totally new to this. I was on MFP for a while just to track calories but then ignored it for the longest time, thinking I could do it on my own. I've kept the weight off but haven't made any progress, so here I am again, looking for all the help I can get. :)

So about me: I'm a university student and I've been trying to lose weight for years. It feels like I've been on a diet since I was twelve. But over the past few years, I've managed to go from 165lbs to 143 lbs and I'm very happy with that. However, my goal weight is around 130lbs and I am almost there but having an immense amount of trouble getting there. I think it's because I keep getting sidetracked and losing motivation and then emotional or bored eating.

Anyways, having run out of good ideas and feeling depressed with my lack of progress, I've decided to ask for help, which is really hard for me because I like to believe I can do everything by myself, which I know isn't true but you all know how this sort of things works I'm sure. But if anyone feels like they want a buddy in this process and would like to help me get there, I'd appreciate it.

My goal for now is to lose 10 pounds by Christmas and then get the last 3-5 off after new years. So whoever wants to join me is welcome. :)

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Hello! I completely understand your frustration - been there, done that! I have found MFP to be the most successful program I've ever tried - and I've tried about everything! Like you, I'd get to about 140 and give up. With MFP, I've actually gotten down to 126.6 - and I don't think I weighed that little in high school! For me, it's all about the accountability that comes with recording every calorie in and exercising every day. I plan to keep doing this as long as I can. It's really changed how I eat and look at food. I've also given up processed sugar, which makes a HUGE difference with craving problems. My newest addiction is nuts, so need to work on that one. They're SO good, but have SO many calories! Anyway, good luck with MFP. Feel free to friend me, if you'd like.
  • SteveT59
    SteveT59 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if I'm wrong in the assumption that as a Uni student you are relatively young, but let me as an over 50 person give you some of advice.

At a similar age to what you are now, I was as fit as I'd ever been; fitter in fact. I ran regularly, walked everywhere or at least took public transport, then several things happened to me. In no particular order here they are:

1. My wife said "you're looking too thin"! - I stopped running.
    2. My First child was born (insert aww's here) - I stopped smoking.
    3 I learned to drive - I stopped walking/catching public transport.

Over a period of 2 years I gained 5 stones (70lbs) and became a comfortable blob, as a result I no longer cared for my appearance. Not that I became scruffy or dirty, I just wasn't bothered about being fat.

Fast forward another 22 years and this is where you find me now, yes I'm still fat but am trying to lose a few pounds here and there. The main problem is health or lack thereof, I have borderline high blood pressure, high cholesterol, my joints ache to the extent that I struggle to get down stairs in the morning. I can't walk more than a couple of miles before my feet and ankles are in so much pain that it's almost unbearable, I'm waiting to see the doctor as I think I may have angina. Couple all this together and exercise becomes a struggle, things I loved to do when I was younger like play football (soccer) with my sons, I'm no longer able to do. And this hurts me inside, this and the thought that I may never see my children get married and have kids themselves.

So to the advice, get off your *kitten* and move! Exercise is not all about being "ripped", it's about movement. It matters not what that movement is as long as you get that heart pumping at a reasonable rate and keep it pumping, join a dance class, go for a fast walk, slow run (jog) or get on your bike as long as the blood is pumping hard. But all this is worthless advice if you do not couple it with a healthy eating plan, I'm not saying become a veggie or that you should have salad for every meal. A little of what you fancy does you good or so the saying goes, so if your poison is pizza, McD's, KFC or whatever (other fast foods are available) go have some, OCCASIONALLY and for goodness sake, enjoy life.