I'm STUCK

Hello,

This is a long post. I apologize in advance for the length. I'm looking for some input/advice and want the reader to get a better idea of my struggles with weight.

I've been using this webpage since the end of February of this year. When I started I was ~ 220 lbs. I am now ~209 lbs, I lost the first 8 pounds in just over a month, and have been basically stuck since. I am really VERY frustrated! I am 5'2". I have struggled with weight all of my life. Part of me thinks my metabolism is totally SCREWED up!

A bit of background so you get a better picture:

I was always a bit chubby and not keen on exercise since I am very poorly coordinated. I'd go out and play, went to camp, but I didn't like sports because I found them so challenging. LOVED swimming though!

I have a neurological disorder (neurofibromatosis type 1) and an under active thyroid. When I was 11 I had 30 days of radiation therapy on an optic nerve glioma (a benign tumour), the radiation caused some damage to my pituitary gland because I stopped growing. I was 5'2" at 11, so I could have been much taller than I am. Then, in 2007 i had massive surgery to remove a tumour from my cranial nerves. As a result, I lost the ability to swallow and was tube fed for nearly 4 months. I did learn how to swallow again. I lost 2 dress sizes. This all took place over the summer i was in my 2nd year of university. After losing this weight I returned to residence and my unhealthy eating habits (a side effect of university life!)

Back to the present:

My daily goal is 1680 calories. I usually eat between 1500 and 1600. There is the odd day I might eat more. i'm careful to stay within my daily goals. Generally speaking I don't eat processed (pre-packaged foods). All of my dinners are cooked from scratch. I do eat things that real 'dieters' probably don't. My feeling is that I'm not really on a diet. I want to change my lifestyle so I can enjoy the foods I eat. I don't have a problem with portion control. I stop eating when I start feeling full.

Like everyone else, i like to treat myself every now and then. My worst time of day is at night, sometimes I have major munchies at which point I go brush my teeth so I stop eating! I'm not working at the moment (a whole other can of worms). Sometimes I find when I'm bored I tend to snack. So, I try to keep my mind busy. Some days are more successful than others. Even if i do snack, I rarely go over my daily goal.

I exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. At one point I was burning at least 750 calories, but didn't lose ANYTHING which I found very discouraging. I enjoy walking so when the weather is good I go for walks otherwise I use my stationary bike.

In June I saw watched an episode of Dr. Oz. He recommended something called forskolin. I tried that. I think my tummy got a smidgen flatter. The other day he (and another doctor) said something about a supplement called garcinia cambogia (something extracted from a fruit found in Asia). Apparently it is supposed to help with sugar cravings and help reduce the size of fat cells.....I don't know....I just read some negative 'stuff' this morning on Dr. Oz's Facebook page about previous advice he has given which makes me weary even though I had no side effects from the forskolin.

I'm wondering if anybody has tried any supplements that have actually worked for them in helping to increase their metabolism. I am becoming really quite frustrated with this whole weight loss thing. Any input, ideas, suggestions you think might help would be appreciated.

Thanks
blg1977

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Most of us here do not use weight loss supplements. Many will take a daily multi-vitamin but that is it.

If you are stuck with weight loss, giving us some good numbers would be great.

So you are 5'2" and 209 pounds... and eating between 1500 and 1600 a day. Are you actually logging your food and counting it correctly using a scale and measuring cups and such? Merely estimating does not do the trick.

Additionally, I find it difficult to imagine burning 750 calories in 30 minutes... I think that that may be an over estimation. (It is also advised to only eat back half the exercise calories).

Finally, be sure you get ample protein (1g per lb of lean body mass) and that you are drinking plenty of water!
  • I'm sorry to hear what a struggle it's been for you, and considering your history, you probably should meet with a doctor just to make sure you're not one of the extremely rare people who don't metabolize food the same way most people do.

But assuming you're like most of us (and the odds are good that you are, don't worry ^_^), here's my advice.

First, just going off your height, age, weight, your BMR is 1691; with a sedentary multiplier, it's 2029. If you're aiming for 1680 net calories a day, that might actually be a bit high. I'd aim for a 500 calories deficit so you could lose 1 pound a week; so, roughly 1530 calories a day. And when i'm in my cutting phase, I aim to be a bit under my goal calories for most days, a little over on my cheat day, and WAY under on my hard workout / road cycling day. This kind of calorie balancing has worked really well for me.

As for exercise - i don't want to misunderstand, but you seem to have implied that you have burned 750 calories in a 30 minute workout. I'm sorry, but that's... pretty much impossible.

Basically, there's a good chance you're either 1) underestimating your caloric intake, or 2) overestimating your calorie output in exercise.
  • blg1977
    blg1977 Posts: 12
    Hi,

When I was burning 750 calories I was biking for about an hour. Right now I am burning 350 in about 30 minutes.

I don't use a scale and measuring cups. Much of what I eat I have created recipes for, so when I make that food i am using a measuring spoon/cup. I live by myself so I cook stuff and freeze it. When I make these foods I use measuring cups, so 'my recipes' are accurate. My goal is 1680. Even with my exercise (~350 calories or more) I usually don't eat more than 1500 - 1600 calories. in a day.

Even if I do over guesstimate sometimes, I wouldn't think that I was eating anywhere near the amount of extra calories to have my weight remain the same. I was on a webpage that calculates how many calories I should eat a day. It said to MAINTAIN my weight with light activity I would need 2319. I have read that to lose a pound a week I would need to subtract 750 from that which would be about what my daily intake currently is....and I still haven't added my exercise.

Usually if I have a bad day or two (a special occasion for instance) and I gain a pound or two, I lose it within 2 - 3 days. So, I am totally confused as to what is going on with my body.

blg1977
  • how are you figuring the 750 calories burnt for biking for an hour? Are you biking VIGOUROUSLY for an hour? or, is it a leisurely pace? That still seems really high.
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    I am in a similar situation as you. The one thing you don't talk about is water - If you are not already drinking water, do it. If you are, increase it. 8-10 glasses a day. Add lemon or lime - from a fresh fruit, not concentrate if you want but add nothing else. I was told that increasing your water can get you off any plateau. I am trying it. Good luck and don't give up. If you stay 200 lbs but are a healthy 200 lbs you are better than where you started!
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    You need to keep in mind that weight loss is not linear. For most people it has dips and peaks. If you chart it out you'll see all sorts of ups and downs but with and overall downward slope. So don't get discouraged. If you find you gain a couple pounds after a cheat meal that's probably just water from the extra sodium you're not used to (I have that problem too).

Your eating plan seems okay but if you don;t up your calories for exrcise you may be eatin gunder your BMR on those days. For prople who have a lot of weight to lose that's not always a big concern but over time you may fine it's not working anymore. maybe ask your doctor what caloric intake they suggest.
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Hi, Im 5"1, and I want to lose a pound per week and my fitness pal set me to 1200 cals a day. I would say your calorie intake is more like maintenance rather than losing.

Maybe try to clean eat. Only vegetables, fruit, chicken, white fish & sweet potato / brown rice. No sauces etc. Try this for a week and measure the portions as what may look like a small scoop of rice is probably like 400+ calories.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Hi,

When I was burning 750 calories I was biking for about an hour. Right now I am burning 350 in about 30 minutes.

I don't use a scale and measuring cups. Much of what I eat I have created recipes for, so when I make that food i am using a measuring spoon/cup. I live by myself so I cook stuff and freeze it. When I make these foods I use measuring cups, so 'my recipes' are accurate. My goal is 1680. Even with my exercise (~350 calories or more) I usually don't eat more than 1500 - 1600 calories. in a day.

Even if I do over guesstimate sometimes, I wouldn't think that I was eating anywhere near the amount of extra calories to have my weight remain the same. I was on a webpage that calculates how many calories I should eat a day. It said to MAINTAIN my weight with light activity I would need 2319. I have read that to lose a pound a week I would need to subtract 750 from that which would be about what my daily intake currently is....and I still haven't added my exercise.

Usually if I have a bad day or two (a special occasion for instance) and I gain a pound or two, I lose it within 2 - 3 days. So, I am totally confused as to what is going on with my body.

blg1977

Just because your recipe is accurate does not mean your portion is accurate. I can make a recipe for 6 portions and end up with 4 if I do not actually measure/weigh out my portion properly. I suggest you start weighing and measuring your portions.

Ditch Dr. Oz. He pushes supplements for what ever he is being paid for.

You have an underactive thyroid (I do too) trust me, it makes losing weight hard but NOT impossible. I am guessing you are eating too much (even if it is good), and not actually burning as much as you think. Get a good scale (walmart has cheap ones as does amazon) and start weighing and measuring your portions. I am horrible with portion control I can eyeball an ounce of cheese but measuring a TBSP of dressing is a must because I cannot guess that at all. Guestimating caloris is a downfall for a lot of people.

Also It has taken me 2+ years to lose 15 pounds, do not get discouraged just keep plugging away this isn't a race its your life.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I would recomend for you one called "Metabolic Advantage"...it was originally designed as a thyroid health vitamin, but they have started marketing is as a weight loss assistance supplement in the last 4ish years. It will help to provide your thyroid with the nutrients it needs to work efficiently and effectively, this is particularly important for people who have a history of thyroid problems. I think the bottle calls for 6 per day but really 2-4 are probably sufficient. In my area you can get it at The Vitamin Shoppe and it's around $20 for 90 or 100 capsules. If you don't have a store in your area they have an online store too. Also, if you are not already taking an antioxidant, I would recomend that too...pychnogenol, grape seed, green coffee, whatever version you like and agrees with you...it will help your body reach and maintain optimal health and that is always important when trying to lose weight. If you try either of these I would love to know what you think of them, and good luck on your journey!!!
  • Nickibroadbent
    Nickibroadbent Posts: 4 Member
    I can relate from the point of view that my original start weight was in the region of 206pounds: I would agree with helloburger so far as 1200 calories a day purely from personal experience. I lost 2 pounds nearly every week (with the occasional bigger loss). Maybe try 1200 for a week and see how it works? Just be careful you don't go below that as you'll plunge your body into starvation mode and trigger a slow metabolism.

Be pedantic; log every lick, sip and bite. Weigh everything; check labels - do everything by the book.

Good luck!
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Dr Oz endorses homeopathy therefore clearly wouldn't know science if it touched him inappropriately in his sleep.

Weigh everything. EVERYTHING.

Brush your teeth earlier.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    I'm sorry to hear what a struggle it's been for you, and considering your history, you probably should meet with a doctor just to make sure you're not one of the extremely rare people who don't metabolize food the same way most people do.

But assuming you're like most of us (and the odds are good that you are, don't worry ^_^), here's my advice.

First, just going off your height, age, weight, your BMR is 1691; with a sedentary multiplier, it's 2029. If you're aiming for 1680 net calories a day, that might actually be a bit high. I'd aim for a 500 calories deficit so you could lose 1 pound a week; so, roughly 1530 calories a day. And when i'm in my cutting phase, I aim to be a bit under my goal calories for most days, a little over on my cheat day, and WAY under on my hard workout / road cycling day. This kind of calorie balancing has worked really well for me.

As for exercise - i don't want to misunderstand, but you seem to have implied that you have burned 750 calories in a 30 minute workout. I'm sorry, but that's... pretty much impossible.

Basically, there's a good chance you're either 1) underestimating your caloric intake, or 2) overestimating your calorie output in exercise.

I agree, and to an even further extent. Since you are only 5'2" and weigh 209, your BF% is around 50%. Because of this, you need to use a BMR calculator that takes in account your BF%, instead of just your weight. Using the Katch-Mcardle BMR calculator, your BMR is actually only around 1390, making your sedentary TDEE only 1668.

Also, the exercise burned calculators on MFP are about 50% more than what you are actually burning, on average. I found this out recently when I started using a HRM with a chest strap. A 30 minute bike ride around 13 MPH, where my heart rate averaged 118BPM, only showed me burning 177 calories, where the MFP calculator said I burned 344. HUGE difference. BTW I weight the same as you do now, but am 5'6" tall.

So if you exercise 30 mins every day, that adds only 177 to your daily TDEE, giving you a total of only 1845 calories as your MAINTENANCE calories. To lose 1 pound per week you would need to take 500 off of that number and only eat 1345 calories per day. But DO NOT add more calories for exercise, as it is already factored in.

So sorry, I know that sounds like a low number, but it is what you need to shoot for if you want to lose 1 pound per week. And make sure you still get your 30 mins of exercise in every day, or your weight loss will be slower. If you want to lose faster, add more exercise and/or add strength training to build more muscle, as more muscle will increase your BMR.
  • blg1977
    blg1977 Posts: 12
    Thanks for your input. As DebbieLyn63 mentioned, I think the calories burned I am getting from my exercise bike is inaccurate. At one point I had a heart rate monitor with a chest strap. Perhaps I should buy a new one. In normally do 30 minutes on the highest intensity which the bike says burns 350 calories.

I drink water, but probably not as much as maybe I should. I am only drinking 4 or 5 glasses of liquid a day, a combination of milk 1 c. skim) and water.