Guys in their 20s/30s losing weight?

Options
I wonder what the breakdown of men to women that use MFP.

Do guys lose weight diffently? When I did weightwatchers at the end of high school / college, the women would always say it's not fair you are a guy!

Any guys out there struggling to lose weight? I need to lose 20 more pounds... argg There is a pill for everything, but no magic pill for weight loss.

- Jeremy

Feel free to add me.

MFP Handle: JeremyJLy

Replies

• FrancisCV7
    FrancisCV7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP, again, in August and have lost 18 pounds. My weight loss has pretty much followed the goals I set on MFP, so, I guess I wouldn't say I've been struggling really at all. However, my girlfriend's best friend, a non-MFP user, has been working out for god knows how long and she just lost 20 pounds a couple weeks ago.

Genetics definitely plays a role in how quickly an individual can shed pounds, however, it also depends upon each person's effort they put into staying on track, eating healthy and keeping up with the gym.

You're right in the sense that there are no pills that will magically just take off the weight without any effort on your own part, however, there are plenty of supplements that will help convert body fat into energy to make your work outs more productive! Supplements, like green tea extract, are also known to have an appetite suppression effect on the body--which should help promote weight loss :D.

With that said, you really need to want to lose those 20 pounds, otherwise you'll just be half assing your workouts and slack off with your routine. But I know that each person on here has the willpower to achieve their weight loss goals, so, good luck mate!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    We have systems better suited for loosing weight, typically just more muscle mass & testosterone.
  • Jeremyjly
    Options
    @Magerum: Congrats for losing 158 lbs! Wow. That is an inspiration.
  • chip40
    chip40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    36 years old. When I was in college and my twenties, I drank and ate what ever I pleased. With alittle workout, run etc & I maintained and stood looking fit. Older guys would tell me, enjoy it now, it gets harder when you are older. And they were right. After graduation, I slowly gained weight by still eating bad and not changing the way I worked out. Now about 25lbs heavier, Im learning that I cant eat or workout the same as I did as a twenty year old. My body wont let me workout with heavy weights or do high impact workouts, nor will it let me eat whatever I want and get away with it. I do not think it is a matter of male vs females losing weight, but a matter of your personal lifestyles in the way you eat-workout and they way your body responds to it. With my current workouts I have managed to maintain my weight, but not really lose it. So I am hoping with a combination or working out and keeping track of my calories with MFP, I will notice a difference.
  • Jeremyjly
    Options
    @chip40

Agreed. I can tell that when I lost weight in my early 20s vs. now my later 20s, it is more difficult.

Journaling really does help.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Im 23 , 144lbs. 2 years ago I weighed 184lbs. I started doing MMA class dropped 20lbs right away. Started running which makes a huge difference. And i recommend some light weight trainning. I know started on a supplement Super HD. Its a fat loss supplement and helps intense your workouts to burn more calories. Good stuff
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    25, 215 lbs @ 5'11 now, but have lost 40+ lbs (guessed starting weight before I got really serious and bought a scale) in 6 months or so, and it keeps falling off. Goal for right now at 200 which seemed unobtainable when I set it, but really want to get down to my lean weight after that (which is about 170-180) now that I know its possible.

Journaling has made all the difference for me. It keeps me honest and gives me more information to fuel my workouts, and changes to my diet. I've found other fitness goals help drive me as well. My friends have started running 5k races and the motivation to join them and beat them has gotten me into a fairly regular 5k training program, that I hope will turn into a 10k program and who knows from there. Gotta keep making goals and striving to pass them if motivation is a problem for you!

GOOD LUCK!

-Also Jeremy
  • Jeremyjly
    Options
    @jhstroebel -- Yes journaling does make the difference. I'm getting stuck in a rut, with eating and exercising. I think that is why I'm plateauing.

@robthrob69 -- MMA, a little too intesne for me. Ha. Yes, I never use to weight lift, until a few months back. I think weight lifting really helped give me the extra push to start the weight loss process.

Thanks for your insights.
  • Jeremyjly
    Options
    In a rut with exercise. How long do you spend at the gym?

In a rut in general.
  • Grenon
    Grenon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of maybe 70 pounds in the last 4 years mainly from a change in diet, I lost about 20 pounds in the last few months just from diet and very light exercise. I plan on starting to use the gym just to maintain and maybe put on some muscle.

Feel free to add me anyone!
  • kenty68
    Options
    Also in a rut, thought I'd take the food diary more seriously to kick start again. Feel free to add me anyone as often need a kick up the *kitten* to keep me motivated!
  • WLB1976
    Options
    36 year old fella here.

Been stuck in a rut for the past 10 years or so. I find it very easy to shift the initial weight and do well for a month or so then I fall off the wagon each time. So now I'm back again looking to give it another try, feel free to add me.

Best wishes

W
  • Jeremyjly
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving. Need to avoid overeating during the holiday.

My gym is open in the morning. I think I will camp out at the gym to pre-work off Thanksgiving feast.
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options
    have your diet in check, one of the easiest ways to start losing some weight. those sodas, donuts, chips well help keep the weight on and difficult to lose it.

good luck!
  • novalovesmel
    Options
    Hello all! I am 27 years old and have been on this journey of weight loss since January 2nd of this year. To date I am down 124 pounds! I am in a club with 30 r so women and they always say it is "easier" for men to lose weight because of the muscle mass, etc. Keep at it - one pound at a time!
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I'm 22, started when I was 20. It can be done with just counting your calories. I like to create my deficit through exercise, usually cardio and strength training, alternating days. You have to be patient, it takes time to lose weight and that's the one thing we can't control.

I'd recommend finding your BMR/TDEE, getting measuring cups/scales, and a HRM. You should be good to go.
  • jazzguy4him
    jazzguy4him Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's not easier or harder for either guys or girls. It's all in the mind. The harder you work and the more disciplined you are, the better results you will see.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    have your diet in check, one of the easiest ways to start losing some weight. those sodas, donuts, chips well help keep the weight on and difficult to lose it.

good luck!

On my first day (admittedly only Monday, but...) I gave up my normal ritual of two cans of Coke and an energy drink every day. Doesn't sound too much, but that's nearly 400 calories off my total consumption every day.

Aside from calories, I find it's useful because you actually know when you're tired - you're not just running off temporary energy.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I initially lost weight in my early 20's, down about 70 lbs. Crept up after I got married, had kids. Now I'm 35 and it's much harder. Granted, I'm not focusing on it as much as when I was in my ealry 20's (I have a girl, now). And I never go to the gym. I run outside, and have an indoor bicycle trainer.
  • Reubinski
    Reubinski Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm working on losing a lot of weight, myself. I took a couple months off work for medical reasons, and put on more pounds than I would care to admit! I was overweight before, but now it is just crazy! I'll be using MFP to track my food intake as well as my exercising. Good luck, we are all in this together! :)