Vegetarians-I applaud you!

Options
I was looking for some ways to add more protein to my breakfasts but felt like pork/turkey sausage was just too high in fat/sodium.

So I bought some vege breakfast patties (Morningstar) and I had my first one today.

And for all you vegetarians out there-hurray for you! Cuz I could not finish that thing!

Texture/taste was all wrong to me and all I could think of was, "I should smother this with ketsup!"

I didn't if course, just powered thru and ate it. But the remaining 5 will stay in the package getting freezer burned until I finally throw them out!

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, and I can't stand those things either! I don't usually go for the meat substitutes. They are mostly still processed junk, and taste bad too.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I love those things, especially the spicy ones or the maple flavored ones! However I don't eat them very often, just because they are so processed. They're veggie junk food. But I like to chop them up and add them to a breakfast burrito with scrambled eggs, hash browns, sauteed peppers and onions, salsa and avocado. Dammit I'm making myself hun-gray!
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love morningstar... but I won't eat patties of anything because I don't think they taste good, even when I ate meat. Don't judge fake meat based on one product. I've tried all different kinds and there are definitely some really gross ones out there and some really great ones that my meat-loving family and boyfriend beg to try when I cook them.
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    LOL - this made me laugh! I have tried these and also had a hard time eating them. Smothered in Rojos salsa was the only way....
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    A commercial for Morningstar Farms burgers says that they "taste as good as they look."

I couldn't agree more.
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and please don't let your one bad experience deter you from trying other things. ;) Some morningstar products are atrocious and some are amazing. One thing you should never do with fake meat is compare it to the real thing. I know that it's supposed to be a replacement but if you go into it expecting true bacon or sausage or whatever taste you're going to be disappointed. So keep an open mind!

If you do ever venture into the world of meat subbies again, let me suggest gardein, tofurky, or quorn products. All have amazing stuff. Morningstar, not so much. Good for you for giving it a shot though!
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian anymore, but I actually like some of the morningstar stuff. I haven't tried the breakfast patties. My favorite is the spicy black bean burgers. I eat them rarely because it isn't really that healthy.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    They are nasty. Fake meat is awful.

You're better off, if you want to stay vegetarian, getting your protein from natural sources like eggs, beans, etc.

Seafood is excellent for lower fat content and higher protein content, and you can do things like salmon for breakfast as well. You can also make really good veggie burgers at home. There are some genuinely great recipes out there.
  • leeann0517
    leeann0517 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat the morningstart farms sausage links or patties every morning. I can't eat regular sausage anymore - gives me wicked heartburn. It's about the only protein item I eat for breakfast - eggs make me nauseous.
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    Veggie burgers ,are awesome
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I can't help it, I love every type of processed fakey meat product that I have ever tried.

I'm a total junk food vegetarian...
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    OMG the Morning Star Farms Original Soysage patties are my FAVORITE!!! LOVE those little bad boys! To me they taste just like sausage (though it's been so long I don't think I am remembering clearly anymore) but LOVE them.

Vegetarian for 5 years and going strong =)
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and I can't stand those things either. I didn't become a vegetarian to eat fake meat.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I don't like them, but I do like making my own soy-free veggie burgers. I use this recipe with some adaptions/substitutions depending on how lazy I am/what I have on hand...

Enjoy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/guy-fieri/morgans-veggie-patties-recipe/index.html
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

You're better off, if you want to stay vegetarian, getting your protein from natural sources like eggs, beans, etc.

Seafood is excellent for lower fat content and higher protein content, and you can do things like salmon for breakfast as well. You can also make really good veggie burgers at home. There are some genuinely great recipes out there.

If you want to stay vegetarian, you shouldn't eat fish.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I can't help it, I love every type of processed fakey meat product that I have ever tried.

Have you tried the Morningstar Veggie BBQ Riblets? SO GOOD!!!! I love the bbq sauce, it's so good I practically lick my plate. Okay I actually DO lick my plate.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

If you want to stay vegetarian, you shouldn't eat fish.

The original post said the OP wanted less fat and more protein with breakfast, not that they wanted to be a vegetarian.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Meat is good for you. If you want better-for-you meat, look for lean meat.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I actually do like the southwest black bean burgers....... but I generally just make my own........
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Ditto. My food diary is full of those green boxes of fake-meat love :love: