I can't stop eating. (is this too much?)

Options
lina1131
lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
I have no idea why my appetite has increased so much. I want to eat everything. Today I have eaten...

6am - Clif Zbar (120 calories)
8am - banana (105 calories)
9:30am - 1/2 whole wheat pita with a few slices of chicken (170 calories)
11am - 1/4 cup raw almonds (210 calories)
1:30pm - 1 cup of rice cooked with cooked spinach and lean ground beef (436 calories)
3:00pm - Praeventia dark chocolate chip cookie pack (150 calories)

I also worked out and burned 500 calories

So my total for the day so far (and it's only 3:12pm) is 1,191 calories. If I eat my exercise calories I still have 665 calories left.

I just feel like this is too much to eat, but honestly, i'm HUNGRY. I don't feel like i'm eating out of bordem or anything.

What do you think? Way too much?

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Wish I had an answer for you! I'm eating and eating and eating today too. Must be something in the air! :laugh: I've , unfortunately, eaten all my calories, plus some, for the day and it's only 2:15. However, I know that I have a 500 calorie deficit and will probably just eat basically my maintenance today. Did you do something different the last couple of days? Exercise more than usual or anything? I worked out harder than usual and think for me it is a reaction to the increased activity and muscle soreness.
  • coolcrowe
    Options
    That doesn't seem like too much to me, rather just about the right amount... it may feel like you are eating constantly because you are eating smaller quantities throughout the day as opposed to a few large meals, but that's actually a very healthy way to eat. It keeps you from ever being hungry, which keeps you from overeating. 1300 calories before dinner is not a bad score... 2000 daily is average recommended. Yours is probably different, true, but also consider the quality of food you are eating, which seems to be good and lacks fat which will help you keep energy while losing weight.

In short, I wouldn't be worried...
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I have no idea why my appetite has increased so much. I want to eat everything. Today I have eaten...

1:30pm - 1 cup of rice cooked with cooked spinach and lean ground beef (436 calories)

So my total for the day so far (and it's only 3:12pm) is 1,191 calories. If I eat my exercise calories I still have 665 calories left.

I just feel like this is too much to eat, but honestly, i'm HUNGRY. I don't feel like i'm eating out of bordem or anything.

Looks like you are doing good. You are eating every few hours and it all looks heathly. How are you on your water today? I find I get extra hungry when I am not drinking enough. Good luck!
  • Coppersky55
    Options
    I have some days where I am not really hungry by the end of the day and only at 1200 calories and other days that I have breakfat at 8 , eat again at 10 and then 12 and go way over. I have noticed that regardless of some of these feeding frenzy days where I feel like I'm in a food relay, the next day is usually more stable and my weight loss has been consistent for each week. I think the human body just picks certain days for maintenance becuase it is tired, or it just needs some extra stuff to get the job done. If I get so hungry that i am thinking about the next meal right after the last one, I try to fill up on vegetables or nuts and that seems to curb the hungriness. Hope that helps. :bigsmile:
  • lina1131
    Options
    I've had 48 ounces of water and i'm working on my next 24 ounces.

The thing is, I don't feel satisfied. I could seriously eat an entire meal right now and be okay. I don't think I have done anything differently. Maybe my metabolism is just speeding up?
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

From what you've eaten, it seems like it might be quite a few carbs. They tend to make me more hungry, so I try to have more protein, fiber and lots of water instead of lots of carbs. :smile:
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    sounds pretty perfect...small amounts of healthy choices every few hours...just try to not over do it at bedtime :o)
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Your exercise is pretty high. 500kcal is a good exercise day. As your metabolism speeds up, you may feel hungrier. I think protein helps me stay full, along with the fiber. 1191 kcal is still pretty low. Your body needs about 1200. Another meal before the end of the day will be best. I find that, on days when I am hungry and I workout, I do better when I eat more than if I just went to bed hungry. Let your body do the talking!
  • lina1131
    Options
    It does kind of look like i've had way too many carbs today. it's so hard when you love carbs, huh? :sad: I'll be a good girl for dinner tonight. I tend to not eat as much at night anyways because I don't ever have time. When I get off work, I pick my daughter up from my mom's house, get dinner ready, feed her, bathe her, spend time with her, read to her, and put her to sleep to which I fall asleep also. I eat somewhere in between there and usually not a lot.
  • lina1131
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely won't go to bed hungry. I'll for sure have a dinner, but it just won't be high calorie. I'll plan on lots of veggies and chicken breast tonight. Keep it low and satisfying!
  • runner915
    runner915 Posts: 106
    Options
    There are so many things that can cause a big difference in your appetite from day to day. How much you are working out, if you are drinking enough water, and if you aren't getting enough of certain nutrients your body will start crave them. Also if you aren't getting enough sleep it can affect the level of the hormones that influence your appetite. If you don't get enough sleep your body produces more ghrelin which is the hormone that makes you hungry and less leptin which is the hormone that supresses your appetite. So in addition to everything else make sure that you are getting enough sleep! It really does make a huge difference.
  • EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    The thing is, I don't feel satisfied. I could seriously eat an entire meal right now and be okay. I don't think I have done anything differently. Maybe my metabolism is just speeding up?

i think we all have days like this...i know i do!!! but you're staying within your calories, so you're good!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    My suggestions: water & protein! It looks like you've got fiber down, just get your protein & water in. Fiber & protein help us feel full. Follow your body's cues. If you're hungry, EAT. If you're full, STOP EATING! Dieting isn't about starving one's self, it's about changing eating habits. Don't fight your body, work with it, and encourage it to compromise a little. Little steps make big differences!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Looks perfectly reasonable to me. Pretty much like what I eat, but mine's just bigger 'cause I'm a 206# guy.

Might try a little more protein & less carbs, or not. If you're wanting to eat even more then satisfy the hunger with bulky lo-cal stuff. I eat a big green salad with my lunch every day, and it works and keeps me happy.
  • tamzy1989
    Options
    hey, i personally dont think your eating too much, it seems to me that your eating small amounts every couple of hrs which seems fine to me. gdluck with the rest of your day xx:smile:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    When I feel like that I schedule a cheat day. That's one day every 2 weeks that I eat whatever I want. Usually that will fix the problem of me being too hungry. I barely have an appetite for several days after my cheat day. But honestly, if you eat your exercise cals that 665 should be plenty for a nice dinner. I've never eaten so much on a diet before. I've also never had results like these.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

If I had a Clif bar first thing in the morning I would be starved all day... it's actually that phenomenon that had me thinking "I'm not a breakfast person" for years! Try eating some more protein in the morning and perhaps something a little less "sweet". Getting a bit more protein will give you more sustained energy. For the record... if you're eating the allotted calories... you're not eating "too much"... the bigger issue is that you're hungry! Stop your body from craving the sweet stuff and you'll be all set!

Keep up the good work... how awesome is it that you're aware that something doesn't feel "right"?
  • lina1131
    Options
    This morning for breakfast I have eaten...

6am - clif bar (I have to eat something when I get up or i'll feel sick. This is easy and I can eat it in the car on the way to work)

It kept me satisfied until about ...

9:30 where I had a Sandwich thin with a teaspoon of peanut butter on each side and sliced banana

I seem to be less hungry today than I was yesterday.

Thanks for all the advice and opinions!
  • Danica27
    Danica27 Posts: 10
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? Also if you eat more protein it will make you feel fuller for longer. I know for myself that sometimes I eat just because that's what the clock is saying or I think I should be. Some articles and books recommend writing down what you are feeling before you eat so that you can see why you are eating. Try gauging your hunger on a scale of 1-10. 1 is not really and 10 is starving. You want to try to be somewhere in the middle and stop before you are full. Good luck.