Allergy elimination diet

Options
Hi! Has anyone out there had to try an elimination diet? Any tips/meal plans you recommend? My basic symptom is that I itch all over and turn red. Blood tests show that I have at least a slight allergy to everything under the sun and my allergist suggested the elimination diet. Fruits, veggies, self-prepared meats and (maybe) rice are ok. Then after a few weeks I introduce a new food and see if I react. My biggest worries are the lack of breads and dairy and if I will have the willpower to stick to the plan.

Have any of you had to do this before?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally done it but I am familiar with the process. Since you are working with a nutritionist why isn't s/he deciding which foods to introduce and when? I've never known the patient to be the one to decide these things in an elimination diet.
  • GIJayne08
    Options
    I have food allergies, too. Most are raw veggies, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, some fruits and berries, wheat and milk, to name a few. It's hard for me to stick to no wheat; however, I have found several gluten-free products at Earth Fare. Try rice pasta and Van's Food waffles. I've found chocolate glazed donuts and chocolate chip cookies (can't think of the brand) at Earth Fare and Ingles Markets carry a lot of wheat-free and gluten free pastas and breads (hot dog buns, hamburger buns, English muffins, etc), Bisquick, cookie mixes and bread and brownie mixes. As far as the milk, I use Vanilla Soy Milk or Rice Milk and eat Whole Soy Company yogurts.

As far as meals, I eat a lot of chicken breasts, tilapia, pork loin, salmon, lean beef, rice, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, fresh sauteed spinach and green beans, corn, Bird's Eye Normandy Blend vegetables. Look into stir frying vegetables. There's a gluten-free soy sauce available. I recently made a chicken pot pie using the Bisquick mix. Be careful with the creamed soups because they may contain wheat. I don't have a physical reaction to wheat so I eat it sparingly.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    DId you have a blood test? Skin test? They test for specific foods, so that could be a helpful starting point. Are you sure these are food allergies? How are your environmental allergies? Do you take an allergy pill? Are you on any new medications? Have you switched soaps, laundry detergent, or shampoo recently? (I've developed allergies to things I've used for years).

Basically, allergy elimination starts with very bland food for two weeks, then you slowly start adding in foods, one at a time to see the reaction you have. Keeping a food journal is very helpful. I think that trying to think of this as something you have to do for medical purposes might keep you away from "Bad" foods, at least for awhile. If you know that you will mess up your hard work, then you probably won't have the "bad" item.

Also, you might be allergic to things like dyes in food. Lots of people have allergies to red dye #40. I'm allergic to stevia...it is in the ragweed family and ragweed is enemy number one for me. Last time I had soda sweetened with stevia, my throat started to close up, I had trouble breathing, and I got really tired. I also can't drink chamomile tea or use lotion or soap with chamomile in it for the same reason. My point is, keep your eyes open for those sorts of allergies too.