Chili Recipe WITHOUT BEANS

Options
jonilynn70
jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
Does anyone have a good, simple chili recipe to make without beans? A neighbor of ours years ago made a crock pot of it for us when we moved into our new home in the middle of December in the snow and it was the best thing I've ever had. I don't like beans. It had ground beef, tomatoes, some fabulous flavoring, maybe corn, I can't recall what all was in there and can't find anything online that doesn't have beans. Any beans. Does anyone have something they can share?

Replies

• RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    If you Google search "beanless chili recipes" it will yield a ton of good options, this one looks good and comes in at about 200cals

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=23245
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I just make chili and skip adding the beans. I've never used a recipe and use what I have on hand, generally. The easiest I ever do is use a can (large, about 28-30 ounces) of pureed tomato, one pound of browned ground turkey or ground beef, drained, and one can of Hormel tamales, papers removed. Simmer on low/med for a couple of hours and break up the tamales as you serve. The tamales add all the spice needed, unless you like it really hot, and it is really delicious. When I have more time, I add onions and pepper. Go ahead and throw some corn in there, if you want. You really can't mess it up!!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure any recipe you find could be made without the beans. They generally only go in towards the end of the cooking, and really only add substance rather than flavour.
  • Island_Style20
    Island_Style20 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just omit the beans. Ground beef or turkey browned. Add spices (chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper, hot sauce...whatever you prefer!) I usually add just about everything except the kitchen sink. :) I added cinnamon once, not to my liking, but you may like it a bit sweeter. Add in onions. I use tomato sauce straight outta the can, but by all means, knock yourself out with tomatoes. Add water, and let simmer! Hope this helps?
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I made this one last week. It was way good!! I copied it from somewhere on here...

I added pablano pepper and a couple of Jalepenos. ...and I chopped the veggies as opposed to the OP.

Chile Verde

4 pound chuck roast, or pork shoulder/butt (I used a pork shoulder)
    1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    1 small onion, diced
    10 tomatillos, diced (peel off the outer wrapper, if they have one)
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons cumin
    2 teaspoons sage
    1 Tablespoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile (mine were mild, your choice)
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (mine had green chilies as well)Rotel

The Directions.

1. I used a 6 quart rock pot. Trim any visible fat from the meat, and plop into your slow cooker stoneware.
    2. I did this the lazy way and used my food processor.
    3. Pulse bell pepper and onion until they are small chunks.
    4. Add this to the pork.
    5. If your tomatillos have the leafy-outer skin left on them, take the skin and stem off, wash carefully and to the same food processor, no need to clean it first! Pulse.
    6. Add spices, and pulse again.
    7. Pour the mixture into the crock pot, and add in the cans of the diced chiles and the tomatoes.
    8. Stir a bit to get the spices down the sides of the meat.
    9. Add chopped cilantro to the top.
    Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, high for 6, or until meat shreds easily with a fork.

Serve with rice, beans, tortillas, shredded cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.

Cilantro-Lime Rice

Simply make jasmine rice (or brown rice) according to the package directions. When it is finished, remove from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then, add the juice of ½ a lime per 1 cup of cooked rice, and chopped cilantro to your taste. I also add a little salt, and about 2 tsp of olive oil to help the rice separate.
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    This is my favourite recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3228/chilli-con-carne

Leaving out the beans would make absolutely no difference. Not sure about the calories though!
  • jonilynn70
    Options
    If you Google search "beanless chili recipes" it will yield a ton of good options, this one looks good and comes in at about 200cals

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=23245

I agree - that one looks DELISH and exactly what I was looking for!
  • jonilynn70
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    That's called a manwhich or sloppy joes; okay, okay...it's also called Texas Chili...but I don't like it unless it's loaded with beans and veg
  • MrsJonSamuels
    MrsJonSamuels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I always use ground turkey, onions, bell peppers, minced garlic, one can of tomato sauce, diced tomatoes ( in the can) and 2 pks of great value chili seasoning. It's quick, easy, and goooooooooood:)
  • jonilynn70
    Options
    That's called a manwhich or sloppy joes; okay, okay...it's also called Texas Chili...but I don't like it unless it's loaded with beans and veg

Very true! But I can't think of what other veggies would be good in there and my family and I are just not bean fans :(
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do mine with mushrooms and diced or grated carrots. Stirs in nicely.
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    Frozen peas work well too. Thought it might be better to just have them on the side.