home made beef burger recipe?

Options
Chlo92x
Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
Im looking to make home made burgers for low carb diet and wondering if anyone has some good recipes?

Thanks x

Replies

• niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    This isn't really a recipe; I like a basic burger. I buy the leanest ground chuck I can find, usually at least 95% lean. I divide the meat and gently form into burgers; if you handle it a lot, it will be tough. Then just salt and pepper well on each side and fry until the desired doneness. I usually sprinkle a light layer of salt in the pan instead of spraying it with oil. You want the pan hot enough to sear the meat when you put it in; don't turn it multiple times. Leave it alone until the meat releases from the pan before you turn it. Never push down on it while it's cooking; you'll make it tough and dry.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You can add herbs, spices, onions, garlic etc....season them to your own taste.

i prefer a minced meat with a 15-20% fat content...it has more flavour and isn't as dry as very lean meat, just use some kitchen paper to drain off any excess fat.
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    I put some minced garlic, diced mushrooms and shredded cheese inside them.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb but I imagine you'd have to use very thin bread or find some type of low carb bread for the bun. You could use lettuce or something, but then it really wouldn't be a "burger".

When making burgers I always go for low fat beef (at least 90% lean) so I like to add a little evoo, shredded onion, minced garlic and/or finely chopped jalapeno to add moisture and flavor to the meat.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Just eat the burger patty on its own and have a tomato salad with it. Chop up tomato, salt and pepper it, add some green onion if you want.

I do that all the time just because I don't like hamburger buns.
  • KrisThomas1964
    Options
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Beef (85-90%), 1 egg, grated/shredded parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, pepper (tbl worschestshire if you can have it).

Eliminate the egg and add mushrooms sauteed with olive oil, onion, and garlic (or just sauteed onions if you don't like mushrooms, or use onions and peppers).
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I use extra-lean ground beef, add 1 egg, minced onions, garlic, peppers, season with basil / oregano. I form them using a lid so I know they are all the same size (I weigh out 100g). If you poke a hole in the middle all the way through they will not shrink when you cook them ;) I make meatloaf & meatballs with the same recipe and just vary the shape.
  • MayFartDuringSquats
    Options
    Recipe is 'all of the above".
    I often like to mix in a little HP, or A1, Worcestershire sauce too. Sometimes it's Italian herbs, sometimes just salt/pepper.
    One recipe I'll chop up some pickels and mix in. Sometimes grate up some zucchini or carrot. Just anything and everything really. It's hamburger - it's pretty difficult to mess up.

I find that the 85/15 or 80/20 tastes a whole lot better on the grill than the lean 90+%.
    If you go with a fattier mix, try to get as clean a source as possible. Like the grass fed or greenwise. The fat will be better for you. If it's just the normal supermarket "unknown source" (even if it's USDA prime or something) then go leaner. The burgers won't be as tasty, but the fat is where all the bad stuff lives (hormones etc). To help the lean beef get a nice cook on the grill, I coat with a little olive oil (not extra virgin (cold pressed) - that doesn't do well with high temps, go with normal o-oil).