feed a cold?

Options
hi do you eat more when you are full of cold or stick to your calorie allowence i have tried but i have found myself feeling really crap.
i do have a dress i need to fit in to by mid dec so dont want this to end uop setting me back.? what do u do when you have a cold with your calories>?

Replies

• thethingirlinside
    Options
    I would stick to soups ,I don't think you need to fuel a cold .in my opion its better to go light .
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    do what your body says if you are hungry eat if not then don"t, listen to your body. get lots of rest.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I normally don't feel like doing anything when I have a cold! But I agree with the above poster, try and stick to soups, broths, etc.
  • peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Stick to your guns! If you have been eating low calorie/fat & high lean proteins, I would definitely encourage you to keep at it. You will need to keep your strength up and keep the vitamin intake at a high (particularly vitamin C). You may even want to kick up the amount of lean proteins and most definitely your water intake just to keep you feeling full and well. I do love soups particularly in these cold months, but you have to watch the amount of sodium intake as that will cause water retention. There are times when you may not feel well enough to work out, you know your body better than anyone else (don't kill yourself to get in a workout) but on the inverse do not skip workouts just because you are not feeling up to it! Best of luck!!!
  • msampred2
    Options
    When they say feed a cold and starve the flu it means make sure that you are still eating...not increase your calories... Increase your fluids to help loosen mucous secretions...that will help to keep it from turning into pneumonia or something like that...soup is full of liquid too so that is a good way to go...also in my experience as an RN with patients that catch everything...Mucinex really helps loosen things up and moves it along...it is expensive but really worth it! ; ) Feel better!
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    When you are ill, your immune system needs energy to fight the infection. That's why you feel tired.
    You need to keep your energy up and allow your body to direct that energy to fighting. I wouldn't worry so much about what you eat but try to stick to nutritious stuff and eat your normal amount if you can face it.

Basically eat what you can. Keep your fluid levels up. Rest as much as physically possible. Get plenty of sleep.
    Don't try to exercise until you are better as you'll just be directing energy away from the immune system and prolonging the illness (plus spreading it to all the other pour souls in the gym!)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This homily is easily debunked.

http://www.rd.com/slideshows/10-food-cures-put-to-the-test/

Drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    when im sick, i listen to my body and do what it wants. if im hungry, i eat (try to make it something with some nutritional value), if im tired, i sleep, if i dont have the energy to work out, i wont force it, etc.

your body will tell you what it needs. just listen to it.

im coming down with a cold right now and took a double shot of emergen-c packets this morning and had some OJ with breakfast, hoping to mitigate the sickies :(
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I usually lose my appetite when I get sick. So, I end up forcing myself to eat just out of principle. So, I'm always below my calories during that time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If someone still has a cold from October 2012 they should go to the hospital!