Running help - ouch!

Options
I've started running, and I've never been a runner in my life, I've rollerbladed, biked, and so many other things, but never running.

Anyway, I'm really getting into it and have started a couch to 5k plan. I'm in week 3 now, but I had started running a bit before then, maybe 30 seconds running and a few minutes walking. So overall, I've been "running" for about a month about 2-3 times a week.

It still hurts! My shins hurt like crazy, sometimes my calves and somethings other parts of my legs. I also get sore ankles sometimes too. I have good shoes that were bought a couple months ago and I've tried various approaches including stretching before and/or after, or not at all, warming up before, warming up different amounts of time.

Is this normal? I feel like I'm making progress in being able to run further, and I don't get tired in 30 minutes, my body just hurts too much! I find I have to stop a few times to make it through the half hour.

One other question I have is I got fitted for some shoes at the running room and they said I pronate (which makes a lot of sense for the way I walk), if they possibly misdiagnosed this, could this be part of the problem? Just wondering if it's worth it to spend another $200 (eek) and get a different style of shoe.

I DO run on pavement which I know that one thing that could help is not doing this... but part of the reason why I can stay motivated is I can run from my front door and I love the scenery around my place. If I go and drive somewhere to run, it's less likely to happen.

Replies

• jealous_loser
    Options
    I was having problems at first because I needed better shoes. Once I got them, it was way better. That is the only thing I can think of really. I have only been running for about 6 months though, so hopefully someone else with more experience can help you out!
  • Bufite
    Bufite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    sounds like it might be your shoes, but it may also be that you have muscle imbalances somwhere. It would be worth a visit to a physiotherapist who can give you some stretches and exercises to do. You could also look at the injury forum on the Runners' World website - they have a ton of really helpful information.

Don't do what I did, which is try and run through the pain. I was out for ages with a dodgy knee :sad:

Good luck!
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had to do "tip toes" (go from flat footed to your tip toes and back down) to get rid of my shin splints, I would just sporadically throughout the day stop and do them, usually ten at a time, yes people stared but i didn't care and your shoe store if it is a reputable store should replace those shoes if you are not happy with them. It took me 4 pairs of shoes before I found the pair!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It may or may not be shoes, you can get it checked out, go to the same store and let them know that you were fitted there the first time, also don't be supprised if things come back the same. Running on pavement can be harder on you, but although running on a softer surface my help the pain, it is probably not the primary cause at the distances you are running. A few other thoughts:

1) Make sure you are running with good form, meaning your feet are landing underneath your center of gravity and not out in front of you. Overstriding is the cause of alot of pain. You may need to run slower during your running portions and really focus on it until it is second natue.

2) Be sure to recover between runs, if you are sore going into a run, you will most likely be more sore coming out of it. Sleep, Nutrition and not doing too much too soon are key to recovery. You should not run more than you can recover from before the next workout. As you build endurance this will translate to longer and faster runs without the chronic pain.

3) Look into some exercises to strengthen your legs, especially for shin splints. Runnersworld.com has a lot of good information and exercises that will help strengthen muscles you have not used much previously and could be causing some issues.

4) Recognize that as a beginner there are alot of adaptation occuring as you stress your muscles, tendons, ligaments etc... that will take some time to occur and there will be some soreness, however, this is something you should be able to recover from between runs (see point 2 above)

5) After you warm up with a brisk walk/light jog, then do some active streching (check RunnersWorld.com for info) then do your run. Save the old fashoined stretches for after the workout.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My husband couldn't run because of shin splints. He went to a New Balance store and he was fitted for shoes. He doesn't have much of an arch. The shoes they put him in had extra arch support and they showed us some different inserts to put in the shoes to help out with the arch problem too. Now he doesn't have any issues running.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    A) Get to a shoe store and get checked. It could be anything from issues with your feet to issues with your gait.

B) Be careful of stretching before running.
  • squishnfarfel
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I will definitely try some different shoes... I know lots of the stores claim they know what they are talking about, but sometimes they just BS you.

I've always had problems with my shins.. Even if I walk quickly for awhile they hurt. I'll also look into seeing how I can strengthen them. My legs in general are already pretty toned and strong from other things I've done, but running is different so those areas are probably just not as strong.
  • jp77379
    Options
    I started MFP in mid April. I completed C25K several months ago and I'm nearing the end of the Bridge to 10K program. I was never a runner and had a lot of problems with shin splints for the first 2 months or so. I just kept at it and they went away.

That said, many other things have replaced shin splints.... like occasional knee pain... knots in my shoulders while running, etc.

So don't worry. Once shin splints go away there will be plenty of other things that hurt just as bad :laugh:

In all seriousness, running is a high-impact form of exercise. Pay attention to your form. When I first started I had a bad habit of really "pounding the pavement". I try to run quickly but also -smoothly-, if that makes sense.

Exercise is taxing. It often hurts. That's why it works so well. I'm down 75 lbs in 6 months and I couldn't have done it without all the time I've spent running. You might also want to consider swimming. I try to take 1 day a week off from exercising but alternate swimming and running the other days.

Keep it up! :smile: