WHAT CAN I DO?!

Options
I recently had brain surgery due to having Hydrocephalus (fluid build up in the brain) and I can't exercise. WIth gaining 20ish pounds already, I am in a loss and don't know how I can get back down to my original weight before surgery (150). I'm 5'9 and can't stand the way I am right now.. any tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Just watch what you eat, exercise isn't everything! Can you do walks and things? Every little helps, log log log. You'll get there.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Given that you've had brain surgery recently, the smart thing would be to ask your doctor ;)
  • ditalini
    ditalini Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear of your surgery. I hope you are feeling better! You should speak to your doctor about your desire to lose weight and health-related limitations. You may be able to work with a physical therapist if you have any issues with mobility. If he gives you the all-clear, I would suggest beginning with walking and moving from there as your conditioning improves.
  • ShaunnaTroop
    Options
    Try not be too hard on yourself. I have had brain surgery myself and recovery is a slow process, but taking it easy is a must! Small healthy meals, lots of water, and maybe a couple short walks, if you're allowed. Before you know it, you'll be able to excercise like you want to again. Hang in there!! :flowerforyou:
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Given that you've had brain surgery recently, the smart thing would be to ask your doctor ;)

^^ what he said. There is nobody on here qualified to give you advice, post -op brain surgery.

You can eat healthy and that should help but definitely talk to your doctor if you havent already.
  • peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just watch what you eat, exercise isn't everything! Can you do walks and things? Every little helps, log log log. You'll get there.

Agree with above... if you are truly unable to do any type of exercising that you must watch your caloric & fat intake. Chose lean proteins and veggies. Also, make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water!!! God bless you for what you have had to endure. I am sure that you will be back at full steam and rocking the body you want with work and dedication!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Count your calories. Eat proper macros.

DO NOT attempt exercise until you are 100% fully recovered and/or with permission from your doctor.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    eat a proper diet. eat your daily calorie requirements. recovery from your surgery is job #1 so don't deprive your body of anything it needs for that. when that process is complete, then you can worry about exercise.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Diet beats exercise - I would find a good nutritionist and physical therapist.
  • princesskellie60
    princesskellie60 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Work within your Drs. limits right now, you have no choice. You can exercise when your healthy. That said you still can watch what you eat, use common sense and don't go all crazy with excluding foods because you need the nutrition to have a full recovery. When your better from surgury you will probably have a rotation of PT and OT, you will notice the change in weight retention pretty quick. Get well soon.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

This for sure!

Losing weight is not always about exercise, though obviously - it helps and there are long term benefits there. However.. the biggest key to weight loss is eating less calories than you're burning in any given day .. even just sleeping 24/7.

There are BMR calculators on this site .. and others as well. Basal Metabolic Rate - which calculates how many calories you burn a day simply by existing ..... breathing, heart beating.. bodily functions.. heck, you might as well be asleep the whole 24 hours. It's based on your height/weight .. from there -- it will give you what calories you need to survive.

Using that (and no exercise as your lifestyle) .. you basically eat less than that number ... around 100-300 calories less. This will cause you to lose weight. :-) Don't starve yourself .. eating lots of protein will help keep you feeling full longer ..

Sugars take up calories and give you nothing in return .. so try to cut out as much sugar as you can .. i.e. sodas, use substitute sugar in coffee/teas, etc..

And log everything! That glass of wine .. that football beer .. that little bit of mayo or mustard or relish you put on sandwiches, burgers and hot dogs.. every thing! ;-)

Drink more water if you can too ... Good luck .. and I wish you a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself .. and work with your doctor. :flowerforyou:
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    the way this site works is even if you don't exercise you can still lose weight as long as you don't go ever your budget for the day. Mine is set to 1 LB a week but because I exercise I lose twice 1.5 - 2 times that.
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Just do the little things! I've been so busy with my college coursework that the main exercise I get is the occasional walk, cooking for myself, and cleaning the apartment. I'd say have some random dance parties in your room, too, but it sounds like you can't do that. Still, even standing instead of sitting burns calories! (I should know. I stood for 7-8 hours straight four to five days a week last summer for my job.) Just get up and do something, and watch what you eat. You should be okay.
  • ALOYAK
    ALOYAK Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm not sure which restrictions you have but what about walking around in a pool? First wade in it, then maybe go up to your waist and then your chest.. Take your time and do each for a few weeks.. I would discuss with your doctor.