My NSV (half marathon)

Options
Werglum
Werglum Posts: 378 Member
On Sunday I ran a half marathon, I had two goals: one, to run the whole way and two, to do it in under 2 hours. I achieved my first goal and ran the whole way, but finished in 2:08:00 - SO CLOSE!! Oh well, next year!!
For me this was a huge deal, I used to run, I've never been particularly fast, but could plod along for hours. Then along came full time high school teaching and the crazy long hours that it involves. Throw two kids into the mix (3 years and 1 year old) and I thought there would be no way I could train for a half marathon. But I did. I kept thinking about how if you don't have time you make time and that is what I did. I ran three times a week, twice straight after school so my girls were still at daycare. I have got pretty good at dodging all the students walking home from school, and rather than mocking me (which is what I expected) I have actually gained the respect of a lot of the students as I huff and puff past them every Wednesday and Friday. In the weekend I would go for a long run and that is all the training I did.
I think I now have the bug and keep looking up other half marathons to try - and maybe break the 2 hour barrier. :bigsmile:

Replies

• hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a fantastic time too! Congratulations, can't believe no one else has commented!
  • KristySnow0729
    KristySnow0729 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is a huge accomplishment!!!!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Great NSV and great accomplishment! Very nice! :drinker:
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! What was your training time frame? Had you been running previously? 2:08 is still a great time. :)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! And be proud of that time! It's great! :happy:
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment. Really good time too! I trained similarly to you for my first half marathon, but my time was 2:36!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I started training for the half about 3 months out. I used to run (once upon a time - 5 or so years ago, pre-kids and pre-weight gain). So I have already sorted the psychological side of things and can pretty much run as far as I like. When I am unfit I just go slower and keep running.
    Thanks for all of the positive comments!!
  • jofromnz
    jofromnz Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That is a truly awesome achievement! A good reminder that if we set our mind to something it can be done (even if there are obstacles in the way!!!). Inspirational - keep up the awesome work!!!! :)
  • aschr690
    aschr690 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I'm started running (again) a few weeks ago, and as motivation I'm signing up for a half marathon in May and a full in August!! Pretty terrified, but seeing other people do it is pretty inspiring! :)
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
  • fouchou09
    fouchou09 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That is fantastic time! You will be under 2 next time for sure! Your first big race is always a learning experience. Keep up the amazing work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!