Overwhelmed by Strenght Training, Help

Options
So I'm kind of new to the fitness scene. I recently started a diet completely. I cannot do workout DVD's or much at home because I live in an apartment and you can hear when the phone vibrates upstairs. So, I just joined a gym on Sunday and have been every day since! I just really have no idea what good routine would be. I've been looking all over the web and now I'm just overwhelmed. I am 5'3" and weigh 152. I'd love to get down to 125 but my first goal I'm really trying for is 140. I want to drop these 12 pounds as quickly as possible and then slow down for the last 15. At the gym I've been doing mostly cardio, about 30-45m a day. Then two of the days I've some of the weight machines. Now, I've kinda used them before and have been shown how to do most of them. I'd say I do about 5 different machines. I try to do 15 reps on each. I thing I really need to get a routine. Before I thought it was fine to do just cardio but then reading on this forum I see strength training is a must. Can someone direct me to what I should try to do? Or a routine or a really good website. Any advise would help! Thanks!

Replies

• HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    If the gym you belong to has personal trainers on staff, I would highly recommend having one of them work up a routine for you because they can tell you how many reps and what weight to use. The extra cost of having a session with a trainer periodically is definitely worth it.
  • williams3023
    Options
    Check out http://www.bodyrock.tv/category/daily-workouts/. These are mostly weightless strength workouts geared towards women. I'll do some research and get you some more good ones as well!
  • larkin33
    larkin33 Posts: 1
    Options
    I felt the same way when i started going to the gym, but now i have a routine i do everyday! i always make a point to do some cardio machine like a treadmill or ellipical for 45 minutes each time. Then i do wieght machines for my arms and i do seperate workouts for my abs, I hate crunches so i do pilates ab exercises and those should be easy to look up. I find that its best to have an even amount for each part of my body. Hope this helps!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I have been in your exact place (down to height and weight) and learning how to work with weights really changed my life. I feel so much better about my body since going from doing only cardio to incorporating weights about six years ago.

Does your gym offer any group fitness classes? Look for titles like "Body Pump" or something similar. I got started by taking what was, essentially, a circuit training class. We would warm up, do some jumping around on a step or something similar and then move into fast-paced exercises with (light-ish) free weights, bands, and bodyweight exercises (pushups, triceps dips, etc.). The class was about an hour and man was it the greatest workout! Got my heart rate up AND I got a lean look that had just never come with cardio alone.

I will admit that I favor using free weights and bodyweight exercises to using the weight machines at the gym. The reason is that the machines tend to be far more isolating and only focus on one muscle or a limited group of muscles. Lifting free weights, doing squats, lunges and pushups, etc forces you to use more of your little stabilizing muscles. The downside is that form is far more important and it can take a bit more learning to get the form correct.

That said, if you want to use the machines, get one of the employees to show you around and teach you how to use them correctly and maybe even help you build a little circuit of exercises to do.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Stupid duplicate post. ARGH!
  • weegmaae
    weegmaae Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey there,

Yes, strength training is incredibally important. Most people think that the only way to lose weight is to do cardio. However, while dieting and only doing cardio, the body loses a lot of muscle and little fat (if your not obese). Dont get me wrong, cardio is definitely important if you want to increase your daily caloric expenditure. But studies have shown that people who only do cardio as a form of exercise, have the same amount of body fat as they did when they started their exercise routine. So they may look smaller, although it is due to loss of muscle. Furthermore, incorporating a strength training routine with your cardio will increase the amount of lean muscle in your body. Which will not only make you look more toned but also increase the amount of calories you will burn at rest. An hour of strength training is about 300 calories. Just a good number to remember.

Exercise recommendations (Cardio)

3-5 Days/week
    15 min warm-up and cool-down
    30-60 mins at correct heart rate

Exercise reccomendations (Resistance)

2-3 days/week
    8-10 exercises for your full body
    1-2 sets
    12-25 reps
    30-90 sec between exercises
    24 hr rest after

Hope this helps!
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Check out http://www.bodyrock.tv/category/daily-workouts/. These are mostly weightless strength workouts geared towards women. I'll do some research and get you some more good ones as well!

Yes! I vote for this as well. I no longer belong to a gym but I LOVE the Bodyrock.tv website and I do these routines (or ones inspired by them) at home these days. Most of them could be done easily at a gym too. (And my boyfriend does them too--they aren't just for women! He finds them pretty difficult.)
  • beerwidow
    beerwidow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is that you're moving! For me, I have a hard time remembering all of the various exercises that I could do. So, I purchased two sets of FitDeck cards, one standard and one with weights. A bootcamp trainer I had for a bit would use these during the class for various exercises and circuits. When I go to the gym it is 30-45 min of cardio and I pick out about 9 of the FitDeck cards. Usually, 3 arm/back, 3 abs, 3 legs and I'll run through the 9 exercises for 3-4 reps each. There are enough cards that you can mix it up quite a bit - got to alleviate the boredom. :-)
    Good luck with whatever you decide on!
  • jeffinersnow
    jeffinersnow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Going to a group fitness class today. Hopefully that will have a lot good things to learn. I like the fitdeck cards. I think I'm going to order them. Just need to get into a routine now...
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Yes, strength training is incredibally important. Most people think that the only way to lose weight is to do cardio. However, while dieting and only doing cardio, the body loses a lot of muscle and little fat (if your not obese). Dont get me wrong, cardio is definitely important if you want to increase your daily caloric expenditure. But studies have shown that people who only do cardio as a form of exercise, have the same amount of body fat as they did when they started their exercise routine. So they may look smaller, although it is due to loss of muscle. Furthermore, incorporating a strength training routine with your cardio will increase the amount of lean muscle in your body. Which will not only make you look more toned but also increase the amount of calories you will burn at rest. An hour of strength training is about 300 calories. Just a good number to remember.

Exercise recommendations (Cardio)

3-5 Days/week
    15 min warm-up and cool-down
    30-60 mins at correct heart rate

Exercise reccomendations (Resistance)

2-3 days/week
    8-10 exercises for your full body
    1-2 sets
    12-25 reps
    30-90 sec between exercises
    24 hr rest after

Hope this helps!

25 reps is waaaaaaay too much. I wouldn't go any higher than 15 reps.

Start out with 2 sets of 10-15. When you can get through those 2 sets without any fatigue add a third set. When you are able to get through those 3 sets, add more weight.

Basic Exercises to Consider:

Squats
    Lunges
    Push ups
    Lat Pull Downs
    Bench Press
    Shoulder Press
    Bicep Curls
    Tricep Press
    Push Ups
    Planks
    Heel Raises
    Rowing
  • kenleighprendergast
    kenleighprendergast Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    you are so wise! this advice helps me BUNCHES.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    tagging for the website to see later :)
    I am overwhelmed by strength training as well :)
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    25 reps is waaaaaaay too much. I wouldn't go any higher than 15 reps.

Start out with 2 sets of 10-15. When you can get through those 2 sets without any fatigue add a third set. When you are able to get through those 3 sets, add more weight.

Basic Exercises to Consider:

Squats
    Lunges
    Push ups
    Lat Pull Downs
    Bench Press
    Shoulder Press
    Bicep Curls
    Tricep Press
    Push Ups
    Planks
    Heel Raises
    Rowing

Ditto this.

Also, I just posted an overview of the basics on my blog here at MFP which you can find in my signature below.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    tagging for the website to see later :)
    I am overwhelmed by strength training as well :)

Me too - Tagging for later!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    tag
  • jesikelm
    jesikelm Posts: 1
    Options
    Stay positive, I agree a trainer should be able to set you up with a program you can do on your own if you are not able to make the monetary commitment to a training package. Also many of the members would probably be happy to show you around. Take classes and meet some people, you will be surprised at how much you will learn!

Jesi
    instructor/trainer