To run or not to run?

Options
I've been training for months for my first 10K and it's THIS weekend!!!
So, of course I went out for an easy practice run last weekend and what happened? I got injured. It felt like a calf cramp that you would get in the middle of the night, only it was while I was running. I ended up limping home and have had pain ever since (that was Saturday afternoon).
It could be my shoes (I bought new ones but haven't had a chance to try them out), it could have been dehydration, or it could have been just a simple injury... The thing is that it happened about 11km in the weekend before but healed much faster and I had forgotten about it, until it happened again only 3km in to my run. In any case I have a couple of questions.
1) Should I take the rest of the week off to rest for my race on Sunday?
2) Should I run on the treadmill this week to try and break in the new shoes in case that's the problem?
3) Should I not run but do other exercise (like spinning, yoga and pilates) this week?
Thanks for any and all insight :)

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Can you see a doc or PT? Obviously can't diagnose you over internet, but it sounds like a calf strain. If so, I'd bail on the race. First 10k or not, it's not worth it for that. If you really did just cramp and are experiencing soreness from that you may be able to run, but no way to tell from here.

Let's assume it was just a cramp and you'll be recovered by race day. I'd still suggest looking for another 10k in a couple of weeks, but if your heart really wants this one, here is my opinion. Running shoes typically don't need to be broken in. While the rule is never do anything new on race day, I'd make an exception here - if and only if you had the shoes fitted at a running store by someone who knows what they are doing (not a big box sporting goods store). I'd rest it as much as possible. Maybe do a short mile run couple of days before the race to make sure the calf is hanging in there. Then do the race, already having made the decision to stop if the calf pain comes back. If I couldn't bear the idea of stopping, then I wouldn't start.

Good luck!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    ^^ What Wolfgate said. I was just getting ready to type something nearly identical.

If the pain is gone by Friday you can probably do the race but be careful. If it starts hurting a lot while running the race you should think about stopping. Better to get a "Did not finish" (DNF) than a will not train for the next couple of months while healing a calf tear.
  • QuietLegs
    Options
    Muscle cramps are often the result of poor nutrition. I'd recommend increasing potassium, magnesium, calcium, and protein.

if it was an actual injury, I'd scale way back on the running and ease back into it. Don't want to permanently harm yourself! Running's too good to lose forever!
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Running shoes typically don't need to be broken in. While the rule is never do anything new on race day, I'd make an exception here - if and only if you had the shoes fitted at a running store by someone who knows what they are doing (not a big box sporting goods store).

I got my last pair fitted at a running store but bought the shoes at a sporting goods store and this time bought the same shoe in a newer model (at a running store). The clerk told me that the difference between the two models was minimal and wouldn't require transition time. I hope he's right!

The calf feels like a little pinch right now. I'm hoping it subsides but taking it easy on it for the time being.

Thanks for all the advice and well wishes!
  • mnrooney06
    Options
    If it hurts at all on race day don't start or if it happens during race stop. I've had similar tenderness and suggest you become friends with a foam roller. I use the "grid" foam roller on my calves 3-4 times a week and it makes a world of difference
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would go for a swim...changin exercise and muscles will increase power for your race (you can work your breathing too) and by the end of your swim, you should know if your legs are 100% ready for it.

Good luck, and enjoy!