Treating yourself every once in a while..

Options
xoTalim
xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
I've been trying to avoid eating unhealthy foods like pizza, chocolate, baked goods, etc., since I started dieting. But sometimes I'll get cravings and I know if I don't treat myself I'll end up binging. I'll treat myself every few days or once a week to something I usually wouldn't eat. What kind of things can I eat that aren't gunna completely kill my diet and make me go over my calories for the day, but will still satisfy my cravings?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to avoid eating unhealthy foods like pizza, chocolate, baked goods, etc., since I started dieting. But sometimes I'll get cravings and I know if I don't treat myself I'll end up binging. I'll treat myself every few days or once a week to something I usually wouldn't eat. What kind of things can I eat that aren't gunna completely kill my diet and make me go over my calories for the day, but will still satisfy my cravings?

Depending on what's on the pizza, it can actually be very nutrient dense. The only bad thing I would say about pizza is that it's typically calorie dense. I'll be eating pizza tonight but I'll make it from scratch so I can control the ingredients and control the total calorie intake.

As far as "what things you can eat" I would base your restrictions on:

1) Individual allergies or intolerances to certain food items.
    2) Your calorie and macronutrient budget
    3) Any binge or trigger food issues you have should be considered. Example: If you already know that you can't eat 1 cup of ice cream because you'll finish the whole tub, then obviously you would not eat the ice cream at all.

Beyond that I don't see a reason to eliminate a food you enjoy.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I make low calorie pizzas on store bought flatbreads that taste awesome. The flatbread I use is called california whole grain lavash. I made a post about it a while ago: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/737429-pocketmole-s-pizzas-paninis

When I have a sweet tooth I have a few fixes to get me over. I know several places where I can get nice treats for under 200 calories. There is a gelato place nearby and a small cup of it is 240 calories. My boyfriend and I will go and share it so it's 120 calories each. You get two flavors in the bowl as well :) Frozen yogurt is another one I do, but I have a very controlled set of toppings that I use (2 tablespoons of strawberries, scant tablespoon of almonds, and a tablespoon of semisweet chocolate on no sugar added vanilla). The main thing is to not let it get out of control where you are going all of the time or getting twice as much as you should.

I find that for savory meals I'm pretty satisfied with everything I eat. If I'm craving Mexican food then I make Mexican. If I'm craving something cheesy then I make something with cheese in it. I find that it's really not too difficult to make healthy variations on just about anything - and not things that taste like cardboard either. Food that is really good eating but not something you need to put your fat pants on for. :)
  • Ezada
    Ezada Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree with Side Steel, don't cut food out, monitor portions or find an alternative way to make your craving.

I get the same way, some days I feel like my life will end if I don't have pizza. I try drinking water and distractions, and if that doesn't help I go online, look up the nutritional content of what I want and work it into my daily calories. Then I add an extra exercise for the day and enjoy it.
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you like, just think about your portion sizes.

So get the smallest pizza, or an individual sized chocolate bar, or just one baked good and you shouldn't have any problems.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Depending on what's on the pizza, it can actually be very nutrient dense. The only bad thing I would say about pizza is that it's typically calorie dense. I'll be eating pizza tonight but I'll make it from scratch so I can control the ingredients and control the total calorie intake.

As far as "what things you can eat" I would base your restrictions on:

1) Individual allergies or intolerances to certain food items.
    2) Your calorie and macronutrient budget
    3) Any binge or trigger food issues you have should be considered. Example: If you already know that you can't eat 1 cup of ice cream because you'll finish the whole tub, then obviously you would not eat the ice cream at all.

Beyond that I don't see a reason to eliminate a food you enjoy.

^^^

I have regular treats and have not had any incident of binge eating since I started on MFP. I think a small treat on a regular basis will help your sanity.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Follow IIFYM and win!
  • dawn2313
    dawn2313 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation! I still eat some of the things I ate before I started eating healthier, I just don't binge! Everybody needs a treat every now and then, just know your limits. :) Good luck!
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. (:

I know some of you said to not cut anything out but I've done that with quite a few things. Cheese, bread, rice. I'll eat them on occasion but I avoid them as best I can.

But I'll keep in mind that I can treat myself to something I crave every once in a while and make sure it's just a small portion.