Garmin 405 vs. Garmin 405CX

Options
My marathon training is starting to get pretty intense so I'm trying to decide whether to get the Garmin 405 or the Garmin 405CX. Right now the 405 has a 50 dollar rebate, so I'm wondering if the CX is worth the extra money. Anybody have any advice/suggestions??

Replies

• TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My marathon training is starting to get pretty intense so I'm trying to decide whether to get the Garmin 405 or the Garmin 405CX. Right now the 405 has a 50 dollar rebate, so I'm wondering if the CX is worth the extra money. Anybody have any advice/suggestions??

I don't have either one, but my brother has the 405. He said that he wishes it had multipule data screen so that he could see different rates on one screen. I purchased the Forerunner 305 for half the cost and came with a heart rate monitor strap. I love it and I get up to 4 data fields on one screen. It is larger than either of those but it isn't heavy and works well. I also purchase a foot pod for running on the treadmill.

Good Luck in your training. I'm hoping that I will be ready for the White Rock Marathon this December.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You're in Dallas? So am I! I'm doing San Diego with Team in Training.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Have you guys heard of the 310XT, its garmins newest model.. I think its an upgrade from the 305, I'm thinking about getting it and I've read a lot of great reviews on it... is the 305 the one with the touch screen? I heard those aren't very good, very sensitive so just wondering? Thanks!

~Leash :heart:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Nevermind I mean the 405 has the touch screen, yea brooke I would suggest the 305 or 310...
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    The 310XT is waterproof, little smaller and seems to be more for triathlete's. Plus it is $369 with a HRM on amazon.com. The 305 is about $160 with the HRM.
  • mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend has the 310XT and LOVES it but he's training for a triathalon. It's too big for my little baby wrists. Haha.
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Options
    I do relay and half marathons, and I got the 305 w/ heart monitor and it's more than enough for my needs.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have the 305 with the HRM & bike cadence/speed pod, and I'm training for triathlons. The 305 is great and more than enough for most people, but the calorie counts are off because it uses speed to calculate instead of your HR. But I don't use it to calc calories anyhow. I picked it up used for $125 for everything.

The 310 gives you a little more memory and it's water proof...those are the only major differences.