Totally Confused..Any Knowledge is appreciated.

HI ..I am completely confused & my weight loss lately has has been very slow if any, I have gained a few lbs and stayed the same for the last 3 weeks.....Looking for knowledge & understanding..I do not get this whole TDEE & BMR and how many calories I should actually be eating..

Currently MFP has me set up for 1200 calories..I exercise (cardio) 5-6 days a week burning about 350-390 each workout.

I do eat back some of my exercise calories but not all of them. I also find when I eat below the 1200 I lose, when I eat 1200 or above I stay the same or gain.

My TDEE is 2187
My BMR is 1411

I don't know if I need to post more info for any suggestions to help me figure out how many calories I really should be eating.. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Well... If your BMR is 1400-something, don't eat just 1200 cals. It will just make you ill.
  • Banker2Bikini
    Banker2Bikini Posts: 83 Member
    You need to eat more girl! Up it at least by 200 cals and give it a couple weeks for your body to adjust.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    What did you tell MFP you want to lose per week? If you said 2 pounds per week, that is too much for someone who doesn't have a lot to lose, according to your ticker, you don't. Set it to half a pound or 1 pound and see what MFP gives you for calories then.

Also, are you measuring your food accurately? It is common to overestimate what you are actually eating.
  • xElineeee
    xElineeee Posts: 29 Member
    One thing I do know: If you eat under 1200 and lose, it's most likely muscle weight. And we don't want the muscles to go away, right? :) That's why it's so important to eat over! I can't help you with the other stuff. I hope you can find a solution x
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    If you know what calorie amount you lose weight at, eat that amount.
  • shocktastic
    shocktastic Posts: 106 Member
    I do measure 90% of the things I eat...I just reset it to 1/2lb..it gave 1420 calories a day..I guess I will try this for a couple weeks and see what happens. Thanks
  • doctorwhogirl
    doctorwhogirl Posts: 26 Member
    You may think you have gains when you eat above 1200 but that is physiologically impossible unless you have some sort of hormonal disorder or a disorder of the thyroid. (or you're WAY underestimating the amount you are eating!)

You need to give your body time to adjust to a higher calorie level and then you will start losing.

I upped my cals from 1200/1300 to 1400/1500 and after a brief gain, I began losing.

With the amount of exercise you are doing you need to be fuelling your body, letting it know that it is going to get fuel consistently. If it doesn't, it will never give up any excess fat.

You may also need to include more weightlifting in your exercise and less cardio. Cardio will burn more muscle whereas weights will build muscle for you and allow you to burn more calories in the long run and improve metabolic function. :)