C25K and Shin Splints...

Options
Okay, I am new here, so forgive me if this is redundant!

I started the C25K on Monday of this week. 60 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, for 20 minutes total.

I have NEVER been a runner, so this is new to me. The first thing I did was run out (pun intended) and buy a good pair of shoes. New Balance- cross trainers, expensive, and comfortable.

Monday went okay at the most- I was dead by the end of 20 minutes, my lungs and legs burned, and I was weak.

Tuesday, rested.

Wednesday, by the end of the run/walk, my shins hurt SO bad I could barely make it home.

Now, today, they are still in a lot of pain, and I had a coworker tell me she thinks I have shin splints. Of course, when I googled THAT the advice is to quit running for up to a MONTH until you are fully healed, otherwise you can risk a stress fracture.

Now I am so discouraged! My goal was to run a 5k by summer... How can I do that if I have to take a month off???

Does anyone have any suggestions on building up running endurance?? And what CAN I do in the meantime if I have to basically stay off my feet??

Thanks for all your help! You guys are GREAT!

Replies

• LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I've had them before and have run thru them. It hurts, but eventually mine just went away. Ice them after your runs if you opt to keep running. You could also run on a modified basis and instead of 3 days a week do twice a week so there's extra time inbetween runs. I'm sure this didn't help much!! Like I said, I just kept running and eventually they went away.

Hope they feel better soon though :)
  • lunarfeme
    Options
    i find running on grass or blacktop paths has less impact on me, the proper running shoe can also help with shin splints, as well as good stretching before and after. if i find i am getting them i switch my between days with a hard bike ride, and massage them well if they flare up. but if they are causing you so much pain that u cannot walk or even stretch then u should see a doctor.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    I just posted a similar post to this a few weeks ago - almost all of the advice said to get better shoes, rest and dont run on them. I spoke with my doctor (who I am friends with didnt just bother her with this) and she told me to run through them a few more times and see if they lessen - if they didnt lessen in 2 weeks (doing c25k that would be 6 sessions) then she said I should revist and maybe try some other exercises to get my body ready to run - so I ran through it - it stunk big time for the next 2 sessions but then they were gone by session 4. she also told me that I should walk on my in between rest day nothing vigorous just to get some pressure onto my legs....anyway that was my story -
    dont know if its "sound advice" but its what happen to me
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    look up stretching for runners....

stretch before you run, stretch your calves especially as shin splints are associated with tight calves and week shin bones or something like that, I read up on it before. So stretch, stretch and stretch some more, don't be scared to do extra warm ups too just walking for a good 10 mins before to get really warmed up, that really helped me out.
    Also watch your landing with each step, I'm rusty on this but I read somewhere to be careful how u land each time your foot touches the floor, if I'm not mistaken try to land softly and on the balls of your feet and not with your feet flat.

**read & educate yourself here**
    http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Shin-Splints-101--Treatment-and-Prevention-Tips.htm

I'm telling you this because I used to get them a LOT and since paying very careful attention to these things (stretching, warming up and landing softly) I don't have them any at all.

Gently stretch your Achilles if you have medial shin splints, and your calves if you have anterior shin splints. Also, try this stretch for your shins: Kneel on a carpeted floor, legs and feet together and toes pointed directly back. Then slowly sit back onto your calves and heels, pushing your ankles into the floor until you feel tension in the muscles of your shin. Hold for 10 to 12 seconds, relax and repeat.

In a sitting position, trace the alphabet on the floor with your toes. Do this with each leg. Or alternate walking on your heels for 30 seconds with 30 seconds of regular walking. Repeat four times. These exercises are good for both recovery and prevention. Try to do them three times a day.

If you continue running, wrap your leg before you go out. Use either tape or an Ace bandage, starting just above the ankle and continuing to just below the knee. Keep wrapping your leg until the pain goes away, which usually takes three to six weeks.

Consider cross-training for a while to let your shin heal. Swim, run in the pool or ride a bike.
    When you return to running, increase your mileage slowly, no more than 10 percent weekly.

Make sure you wear the correct running shoes for your foot type specifically, overpronators should wear motion-control shoes. Severe overpronators may need orthotics.

Have two pairs of shoes and alternate wearing them to vary the stresses on your legs.

Avoid hills and excessively hard surfaces until shin pain goes away completely, then re-introduce them gradually to prevent a recurrence.

If you frequently run on roads with an obvious camber, run out and back on the same side of the road.

If you are prone to developing shin splints, stretch your calves and Achilles regularly as a preventive measure.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Don't run through shin splints. That's a good way to make them worse.

Here is good information about shin splints: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/196.shtml
    http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.php

Here are some ways to stretch your shins before and after running: http://walking.about.com/od/stretching/a/shinstretch.htm http://www.racewalk.com/Stretching/ShinStretches01.asp

First off, I am not sure cross training shoes are the best option for running. Running shoes should be selected. However, based on your foot shape and running style you could be an overpronator, normal pronator, and underpronator. You should visit a running specialty store to have them evaluate your running style and your goals with running to get you the proper type of shoe. The wrong shoe can = shin splints. Just because it may cost a bunch, doesn't mean it's the right shoe. :flowerforyou: Don't worry, I have made that mistake before.

Rest and Ice them. Please don't try to run through them - especially in the wrong shoes. You can damage your shins doing that. Also, I don't think running would be that fun if you're in pain.

Shin splints are common to new runners because you haven't developed the muscle to handle the shocks of hitting the pavement. Are you running on sidewalks or the roads? The asphalt roads are a little better for your legs than concrete. The best running surface is a track or grass.

I hope this helps you out some. :flowerforyou: I can do my best to answer other questions you may have too.

Edit: When I did track & field when I was younger, rest and ice was all you did for shin splints. No running through them. It can be bone or muscle injury. You don't want to make it worse.
  • savvystephy
    Options
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Try the RICE method, rest, ice, compress and elevate. I don't know how much you were walking before you started running but I would suggest getting your mileage up with walking for a few weeks before taking on running. DO NOT try to run or walk through shin splints, you don't want to make a bad situation worse!

I have done C25K and my daughter used it to recover from a hip injury and her PT added three weeks to the front of the program, one week of ALL walking and then a week of 30 seconds run and 2 minutes walk and then minute run and 2 minute walk then she went into the first "official" week and she did great.

Most important thing with taking on a running program is to listen to your body and adjust your program accordingly!

good luck
  • kristirufener
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!!

I was a little suprised by all the people that told me to run through them- everything I have read so far has said otherwise. In fact, it states NOT to run through shin splints, otherwise you run the risk of a stress fracture.

My coworker had suggested stopping by a nearby store that specializes in running- they test you on a treadmill to see how you run, and recommend ways to change it.

I'm going to ice tonight and keep walking.

And yes, I DO run on the road. And I am disappointed in the idea of taking my shoes back... They are really comfortable.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    You can use your shoes for other things - like cross training. :wink: That's awesome that the running store has you run on a treadmill - they will be able to tell if you are an overpronator, normal pronator, or underpronator and find a shoe that is best for you. Most likely they will have you run on the treadmill with the new shoes. The store I went to where I grew up wasn't that fancy, you ran outside in the parking lot and they watched you run. :tongue:

You have got it exactly right about the risk of a stress fracture if you keep running through them. :smile: Ice and walking sounds like a good plan. It seems like you already know what to do. :wink:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Running is a high impact sport so you definitely need to make sure that you get the right shoes for that. Do you know if you have flat feet? That could be contributing to your shin splints.

They make neoprene sleeves that you should be able to get at a sporting goods store that you wear over your shins and that will help keep them warm and prevent the muscles from pulling away at the bone.

As far as treatment goes, make sure that you are icing after every run. An ice massage would be the best way to go. Get some dixie cups and fill them up with water and put them in the freezer. When they are frozen, rub the giant ice cube over your shins for 8-10 min.

If you would like to take an anti-inflammatory for the pain it might help. If you are going to take advil I would up the dose to 4 pills every 8 hours if your stomach can handle that. You need to take it consistently for 3 days before it becomes an anti-inflam. though.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!!

I was a little suprised by all the people that told me to run through them- everything I have read so far has said otherwise. In fact, it states NOT to run through shin splints, otherwise you run the risk of a stress fracture.

My coworker had suggested stopping by a nearby store that specializes in running- they test you on a treadmill to see how you run, and recommend ways to change it.

I'm going to ice tonight and keep walking.

And yes, I DO run on the road. And I am disappointed in the idea of taking my shoes back... They are really comfortable.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

You can keep your cross trainers but I highly advise going to a store that specializes in running and do the tread test so you can get a pair of running shoes that fit your particular needs. I do not recommend running with shin splints because you do run the risk of further injuries, no pain no gain is not always the best policy!

Hopefully you will find a good pair of shoes for running. It isn't ideal to wear the same shoes everyday. While doing a tread test you may find that replacing the inserts on your cross trainers with orthotic inserts will help with all of your training!