green bags (fruits/veggie storage bags)

Options
LovingLisa2012
LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
has anyone tried them green bags they used to advertise ? was wondering if they help keep stuff fresh longer ..
or any tips to help things last ? I want to start pre cutting/slicing things like onions/bell peppers, but would like them to last a few days (I could prepare everything on a day off, so I can make quick meals at home) ..

just a question .. no bashing please .. I know most stuff on the market is crap, but never know if that 1 item might be worth it ..lol

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of these before and I've never seen them. But now you have me interested because my fruits/veggies spoil fast sometimes!
  • LovingLisa2012
    Options
    they were called "debbie meyers green bags" or something like that .. I seen them at the dollar general a few months ago.. but was just thinking about them

-- found a link http://www.greenbags.com/
    but I don't plan to order them online, esp if D.G. still has them .. but was wondering, if they work, awesome. . if not, save my few dollars .lol

guess, I will have to experiment and find out though
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    They have them at the Dollar Tree....I think they really work well and I use them all the time
  • Sixlairds
    Sixlairds Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have and they worked. I was surprised. I mean its not like they keep stuff good indefinitely, but it definitely helps them last longer. :-)

and from what I understand you can buy As Seen On TV ones at places like Dollar General now.
  • becca5190
    Options
    I use them. I think they work!! It seems like they keep my lettuce and spinach fresh up to 3 days longer than regular storage in the fridge. I also use them on onions and peppers. I have never tried them on fruit, but I love them!!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have some of them but I'v never used them.

As for pre-cutting fruits and veggies, I've done it for onions, peppers, zucchini, watermelon, cantalope, squash (acorn, spaghetti, and summer), apples, mango, papaya, pineapple, beets, celery, carrots, lettuce, eggplant, and broccoli. I think that's it.

Store the cut up items in a ziploc bag or a airtight container.
    Apples will turn brown in a day, eggplant takes a couple of days. Pineapple - cut on Sunday, good til Wednesday/Thursday.

For celery, wrap it in a paper towel then wrap in foil and it'll last MUCH longer without turning brown.
    Lettuce, store in a ziploc bag with a damp paper towel and replace the towel every other day.
  • Sweetpea472
    Sweetpea472 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    They didn't work for me. I just threw out several last week. If I knew they really worked for others I would've been happy to pop them in the mail for you!
  • LovingLisa2012
    Options
    awesome .. and to hear dollar TREE has them .. even better ..

I want to be able to prep for a few days at a time but I don't want the food going bad b4 I can eat it ..lol
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What humidity level is your crisper set at?