Rhythm Pulse Monitor

Options
Has anyone tried it? I'm wondering if the armband heart rate monitor is as accurate as the chest heart rate monitors in the Polar line. I like the idea of not having to put on a chest monitor under my sports bra which can get irritating, but also want it to be accurate. Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• Fitmiss07
    Options
    I've heard the chest monitors are more accurate as they are in direct contact with the heart, yet I've always wondered the same thing as I find the chest straps a bit irritating myself. I searched around and according to this LiveStrong article they are equally as accurate!
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/386312-is-a-strapless-heart-rate-monitor-better/

Hope that helps!
  • Aawshads
    Options
    I have the rhythm, it seems to be very accurate, but the only way I have been able to test it is with other machines at my gym with their own pulse monitors, but it matches up with them.

One issue though, so far I have been unable to sync the data to MFP. I emailed tech support to see if they could help. We'll see.
  • anfruth
    Options
    In general, heart rate monitors without chest straps are not as accurate as ones with chest straps. However, it depends on what you plan to do. If you're doing less intensive exercise, then the ones without straps should work for you. Also, some strapless monitors are better than others. The Rhythm is nice because it provides real time data unlike many HRMs that only provide heart rate data "on demand" - meaning you have to touch the monitor to get a reading. If you want a continuous reading and a strapless HRM, you have a few options, but not too many. You might want to look into the ePulse 2 as well.

I created a website that analyzes strapless heart rate monitors. It may help you decide. Let me know what type of monitor you're looking for and I can make a recommendation.

See here: http://www.heartratemonitorwithoutcheststrap.com/
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A Polar chest strap is soft and I really don't even feel it. I had an old monitor that you strapped to your forearm that really sucked. It kept losing my pulse and hitting on things.
  • echamin
    echamin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have both but the rhythm says I burn about 30% more than my Polaris HRM...I am having second thoughts on the armband....