Exercising when sick...

Options
I have a really bad cold and I'm just wondering about exercising when you are sick - does it make you worse or help keep your energy up. I spent the first two days in bed for sure, but I'm still really stuffed up and feeling icky :grumble: I'm wondering if a workout might help. My default, of course, is to NOT workout, which is why I'm seeking a little perspective on this.

Replies

• frenchfoodlover
    Options
    I have a really bad cold and I'm just wondering about exercising when you are sick - does it make you worse or help keep your energy up. I spent the first two days in bed for sure, but I'm still really stuffed up and feeling icky :grumble: I'm wondering if a workout might help. My default, of course, is to NOT workout, which is why I'm seeking a little perspective on this.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The rule I've heard is:

If your symptoms are from the neck up (congestion, headache, etc.) go work out.

If your symptoms are full body (fever, aches and pains, etc.) rest.

I've noticed that if I have mild symptoms, exercise seems to help me get better faster.

If I'm really sick, not so much. My default has always been to try working out for 15 minutes and listen to my body. If it feels good, I keep going. If it feels really bad, I stop.
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I always exercise when I am starting to feel sick. I believe it helps but other people think I am crazy. I would say go for it you will feel much better....

:smile:
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with viviakay - if it's whole body or below the neck, I don't exercise. If it's just a head thing (cold), I usually will at least try. And usually stick with it - because when i exercise through a cold I can *breathe* again! That being said, headaches are never easy to exercise through...

I like the advice of working out for 15 minutes and then listening to your body. Good luck!!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I take it on a case by case basis. At the very least do some stretches no matter how you feel. If you feel you can do it, then do it. If you don't think you can, then don't. Its better to focus on getting healthy. I also tend to eat a bit over my calories when I'm sick because your body does burn calories trying to fight off anything nasty.