Giving up? (My weight loss has stalled.)

:drinker: I haven't lost any weight in the past 3 weeks and am feeling like just giving up. I know this attitude isn't going to help me. I did an extra hour at the gym (110 Minutes) and am having a big bowl of spaghetti squash for lunch.

:love: Total loss is only about 12 pounds and I have such a long way to go. I am used to losing slowly, about .5 pounds a week, but not have ANY loss for 3 weeks has really got me down. I keep my calories under 1200, so that should not have caused this "plateau." I just don't understand why this is happening.

:flowerforyou: I am a senior citizen (65) and am on oxygen 24/7. I have made huge strides in my efforts to overcome my serious mobility issues. I do an hour on the bike and an hour of senior fitness (strength training) 3 times a week at the gym.

:flowerforyou: I am putting this out there fo rme to get some help. I hope no one will scold me. I am flat depressed and that isn't going to help anything. I try to get my eyeballs on the FITNESS I have gained, and not the scale, but it is so hard. Maybe I should have a good cry, give myself 5 minutes to feel sorry for myself, and then whip myself into gear. I wish it was that simple. Does anyone relate?

:blushing: Thanks for letting me vent. I already feel a bit better. Hugs & love.... xoxoxoxo :flowerforyou:

Replies

• breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Omgosh...throw away the scale..please...please.

It's not a good measure of what is really happening inside of your body.

Focus instead on the good things you are doing and they are many!

It is my not weighing and focus on action that has given me success.

and kept me going for a full year far beyond the goal I set.

Spaghetti squash is yummy!

Don't give up! Please..if you're going to give anything up, make it the stupid scale!
  • missymuffet
    missymuffet Posts: 90 Member
    I replied on our thread too so look for that but basically wondering if maybe you're not eating enough calories? I have started eating a little more and actually doing a little better now. MFP friend showed me this website to figure out our BMR and TDEE to know how many calories our body needs to survive and then how much to eat to lose. Try it out I think it has helped me. ;D It's so hard to feel like you're not getting anywhere but I think you really are.
    :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    I replied on our thread too so look for that but basically wondering if maybe you're not eating enough calories? I have started eating a little more and actually doing a little better now. MFP friend showed me this website to figure out our BMR and TDEE to know how many calories our body needs to survive and then how much to eat to lose. Try it out I think it has helped me. ;D It's so hard to feel like you're not getting anywhere but I think you really are.
    :)

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I agree with this, you could be eating too few calories. Most need at least 1,200 just to survive and if you are netting less than 1,200 you really should be increasing how much you eat. Don't be surprised if you don't see immediate results, your body will need to adjust, but I believe it will help you. Stay strong, it's awesome that you are pushing through your medical issues and continuing to pursue this goal, many would have already given up. Also consider taking measurements, you could be losing in other ways as well. Keep up the good work!!
  • nationalparklover
    nationalparklover Posts: 120 Member
    I agree with the other posters before me...throw away the scale. Sounds to me like you are doing so many things right. I also think you aren't eating enough for how much you are working out. Good for you for getting to the gym and eating the right stuff. I think you will see some loss soon. I've been on here for a year now and I have gone through periods where I didn't lose for many weeks in a row and even gained. I am a very slow loser but in the past year, I am down 35 pounds and it feels great. Hang in there. You are doing all of the right things and I think it will pay off for you. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    With a 12# loss you are in a better spot than where you were. This is not just about losing weight and then going back to old habits, it's about building new healthier habits...keep on the healthy eating, exercise reasonably and be happy to be in a better place. It isn't a race it IS your life.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    To go along with the calorie calculator, check this out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It explains a lot. I too think you should be eating more. And if the number it gives you scares you, you could try slowly upping your calories. Hang in there. You can do it!
  • sandygaylegunn
    sandygaylegunn Posts: 87 Member
    :flowerforyou: Wow, thanks. Your pep talks have energized me! ♥ So grateful I am not in this journey alone. I will take action on your suggestions, and I will NOT give up! Thanks again! :love:
  • sandygaylegunn
    Thanks for all these lovely posts. I will NOT give up! ♥
  • sandygaylegunn
    Thanks, I will go there and see about this! ♥
  • Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Omgosh...throw away the scale..please...please.

It's not a good measure of what is really happening inside of your body.

Focus instead on the good things you are doing and they are many!

It is my not weighing and focus on action that has given me success.

and kept me going for a full year far beyond the goal I set.

Spaghetti squash is yummy!

Don't give up! Please..if you're going to give anything up, make it the stupid scale!
    This totally!
  • gureno
    gureno Posts: 1
    when your weightloss stalls you have to switch it up.your body has memorized the steps you've taken to lose weight, change a few things in your diet or the time you exercise or the level of intensity.try 1min level 7 followed by 2 mins rest at level one and alternate for atleast 30min...those fat cells are smart so you kinda have to keep outsmarting them.have one cheat meal a week,but dont over do it. surprisingly cheat meals can rev up your metabolism because its not use to fat and being that your body isnt working as hard when we eat healthy, it is ready to blast fats.you should change things every 3 weeks