Feeling hopeless :(

Options
Well, I had started gaining weight when I was in a bad relationship. The guy I was with was a serious eater, he'd eat when he was depressed. So, he'd eat like, a flat of donuts a day and all that. So... yeah, I gained like... 30 pounds being with him. So now I'm about 210 pounds. I thought I was doing good, I had lost five pounds... I was watching what I was eating, exercising regularly and I gained it all back!
I try to look at success stories & I keep calculating how much weight I'll lose in five weeks judging by the food journal on here but still, I feel totally hopeless. The success stories take like... numerous amounts of months if not years! I feel so terrible about myself and it doesn't feel like I'm going anywhere!

Replies

• Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Well, I had started gaining weight when I was in a bad relationship. The guy I was with was a serious eater, he'd eat when he was depressed. So, he'd eat like, a flat of donuts a day and all that. So... yeah, I gained like... 30 pounds being with him. So now I'm about 210 pounds. I thought I was doing good, I had lost five pounds... I was watching what I was eating, exercising regularly and I gained it all back!
    I try to look at success stories & I keep calculating how much weight I'll lose in five weeks judging by the food journal on here but still, I feel totally hopeless. The success stories take like... numerous amounts of months if not years! I feel so terrible about myself and it doesn't feel like I'm going anywhere!

Hi Sara,
    I can understand how you feel. I am in the same boat myself regarding my weight. In the past, I have tried dieting, watching what I eat, etc to no avail. It is very discouraging. I found MFP last month and I am glad for this sight. I can work on my weight loss w/o feeling alone. I have some support from others here and feel encouraged to keep going even when I go over on my calories.

Bad circumstances (poor health, depression) caused me to overeat and gain a whooping 200+ lbs. A lot of weight for someone only 5'1. I'm glad I can use this site to calculate my calories. That makes it a lot easier for me. I do Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home - 5 Day Slim Down - A Mile Each Morning DVD for my morning exercise. I walk up to two miles. I love yoga, too.

I understand how you feel about instant results. I feel the same way. I am making progress, but very slowly. I so badly want to lose all this weight, but I have to remember that I didn't gain it overnight and I can't expect to lose it right away. I know it will take time. You are doing all the right things and you've come to the right place. I am more than happy to support you in your weight loss. You are not alone!
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    This is an endurance event, a marathon, not a sprint. It is day by day, week by week, month by month. You did not gain overnight, and you will not lose it overnight. Be patient, stick with it, cheer yourself on when you have small victories, even if that is just logging every single thing you eat, drink extra water. Most importantly, don't give up on yourself. Habits are hard to break, it takes making a conscious decision, to change your ways. But, you can do it. I believe in you, believe in your self.
  • newhardj
    Options
    I was in the same boat. Stalled for months. I changed one thing - in my case the avoidance of extraneous carbs - and things started to happen. Lost 20 pounds in 2 months. I've plateaued at 195 for about a week, but the trajectory is down. It sometimes can go that way - hover, then drop. The secret is to keep at it. If the results are not happening, check with your doctor/nutritionist. I went to the doc, he looked at the food diary, and he said - dude, drop the carbs. Sure to his word - things started to happen.

The biggest issue - don't give up hope. Perseverance is the key. We're here, and we can do this thing. It will happen, one pound at a time.
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I used to get upset about how long it would take me to lose all the weight that I need to lose. Ideally, I need to lose at least 200 total, and that will only get me to the very top of the healthy BMI range. I finally realized that time moves on whether I'm working towards my goals or not. I could've kept wasting time complaining that it would take to long to lose weight, but instead I changed my habits and have lost 93 pounds in about the last year. My progress has been faster than I expected, but slower than I hoped. However, even if it takes another 5 years to reach my goal weight, then I'll be healthier at 40 than I was at 20.

Just keep at it and remember that you don't have to be perfect. If it's too overwhelming to make huge cutbacks, then see what maintenance is for you and maybe just reduce your calories by 100 per day at first, just to ease yourself into changing how you look at food.
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am assuming that it took for than just a couple months for the weight to come on and what I have learned is that it will probably take double that to take it off. I was 208 pounds 2 years ago and it took me that long to get to where I am now, 58 pounds lighter. DON'T GIVE UP. What really healped me was finding inspirational quotes and pics online and in mags and I put them all over my house: my fridge, my mirrors, front door, my car. It reminds me why I am doing this: for ME. You need to do this for you. You are worth it, You deserve better and by gosh, you better start believing that. Otherwise you will get no where. All of this weight loss and working out crap is a in your head. You have to tell yourself that you are going to do this. You have to tell yourself that if you fail one meal, that doesn't mean the next meal is tanted. Feel free to friend me. ONE DAY AT A TIME. DON'T YOU QUIT.
  • SaraStrangeling
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, you've made me feel a lot better. I know that it isn't going to take overnight to get rid of the weight but sometimes I'm so impatient but you all are right! If it's taken this long to put it on, it's going to take a bit to get it taken off! I find inspiration on you guys and as well with motivational pictures and photos (thanks for the tip), and I'm going to try my hardest to stick to my routine, exercise regularly and watch what I eat. Thanks again!