HRM what kind?

Options
I'm sure there are dozens of posts about this topic but, I have a couple specific questions.

I would like your advice as to which HRM to buy to, monitor my workouts. Does it matter what kind of workouts? Easy to use since I'm not super tech savvy. Cost and are extra features worth paying for? Any MUST HAVES? I really would appreciate your advice if you already own one or have some experience with one.

Thanks for taking the time to answer :) Sorry if I'm dredging up old topics but, it's new to me.

Replies

• tmbowen12
    tmbowen12 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I own the older Polar f4 and absolutely love it!! Easy to use. I think the new PolarFT4 is easy to use too. I am debating on upgrading to one cause I have to ship mine out for battery changes and with the FT4 you can do it yourself. As far as techy mine isn't I just push a button to start and push it again when I'm done. Heartratemonitors.com has them on sale for $61.88 and free shipping.
  • caddygarcia123
    caddygarcia123 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Polar ft7!! and i love it! i had a different brand before but it was reallyy way off. Polar all the way its easy to use and not to harsh on the wallet
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    .......... Heartratemonitors.com has them on sale for $61.88 and free shipping.

You're a legend my friend. Legend.
  • tlm1979
    tlm1979 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft7. Love it. Waterproof, different colors to pick from. Easy to use lots of VERY helpful info. I paid about 70$ on amazon for a new one. So far I have heard lots of people use and refer this brand and model. I am very pleased. Has a chest strap I was kind of Leary about but I never even noticed it at all when I wear it, not even on the first day. This hrm has my vote and recommendation. Good luck. Mine has helped me so much.
  • tmbowen12
    Options
    .......... Heartratemonitors.com has them on sale for $61.88 and free shipping.

You're a legend my friend. Legend.

Not sure how to take this?? You being sarcastic or??
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are dozens of posts about this topic but, I have a couple specific questions.

I would like your advice as to which HRM to buy to, monitor my workouts. Does it matter what kind of workouts? Easy to use since I'm not super tech savvy. Cost and are extra features worth paying for? Any MUST HAVES? I really would appreciate your advice if you already own one or have some experience with one.

Thanks for taking the time to answer :) Sorry if I'm dredging up old topics but, it's new to me.

Well, you didn't mentioned for estimating calorie burn, so that's good.
    To answer one question, the HRM will only have a chance at decent estimate of calorie burn based on HR, when doing steady-state aerobic exercise.
    Nothing less than exercise like daily activities or sitting around, and not anaerobic like weight lifting or high intensity intervals.
    On either extreme it will be very inflated calorie counts.

If it is for purpose of calorie counts, the easiest model to have a chance of decency will be the FT40 which includes the required VO2max stat, and test to estimate it. Or a Garmin with Firstbeat algorithms, but it's pricier with GPS included.

This model also has some nice HR zone alarm features. So if a workout is supposed to be more intense, you can alarm you are going too easy. If it's supposed to be a recovery workout or warmup or cooldown, you can alarm if you go too hard.
    Both are might useful.
    Also gives avgHR and maxHR so you can compare down the road. You do an equal pace treadmill walk 1 month later and see everything has improved, always good to know.
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options

No sarcasm at all - I have been looking online for ages for one - but they are all expensive!

I'm not sure that this website ships to New Zealand though :-(
  • troy0
    troy0 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Really depends what you want it for. Even the most basic one will allow you to measure your HR and see performance improvement over time.
    Other than that I can't add much more than heybales' post above but for me, mandatory feature is the VO2max to improve accuracy. I'm probably a bit of a data geek in that I like to see and track the data with graphs and stuff. I like the software that came with the Polar rs800 series I got but I've seen the online based apps and they're good too.

If you're buying one to help push yourself further, and primarily track your heart rate, buy anything with a chest strap.

If you're buying it to count calories burned from your activities, get something with VO2max or comparable feature to make the calorie figure more accurate.
  • tmbowen12
    Options

No sarcasm at all - I have been looking online for ages for one - but they are all expensive!

I'm not sure that this website ships to New Zealand though :-(

:( I hope they do!!
  • evolutionbyariana
    evolutionbyariana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the above comments, Polar ft4 is the way to go! I've heard great things about the ft7 as well, however since I already have an iPhone with apps that track my running distance and whatnot I didn't see it necessary to spend the extra dough on the ft7. I was concerned about the chest strap but I can't even feel it! I highly recommend; it's a real eye opener and really helps you progress in your workouts. After I got mine I realized I wasn't working nearly as hard as I thought I was!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the above comments, Polar ft4 is the way to go! I've heard great things about the ft7 as well, however since I already have an iPhone with apps that track my running distance and whatnot I didn't see it necessary to spend the extra dough on the ft7. I was concerned about the chest strap but I can't even feel it! I highly recommend; it's a real eye opener and really helps you progress in your workouts. After I got mine I realized I wasn't working nearly as hard as I thought I was!!

I have the FT7 - there is nothing on it related to distance or pace.

I believe Polar is charging the extra money for a start/stop button to the actual workout time. Whipppee.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 although I bought it before knowing about the VO2 max thing. Knowing about it now I wish that I had gotten the FT40 but I seem to fall within the "average" range luckily so the calorie difference is negligible at this point.
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing! Thanks so much for the advice. I am checking into them all! I do want to see the calorie burn when I'm working out but, not really going to just wear it all day long so that isn't an issue.

Thank you all again for being so helpful.