i hate weights

Options
I don't mind doing cardio exercises but I REALLY dread weight training. The problem is weights are what my body really needs most. I need to do some serious toning but I dread weight training workouts. Is it just a matter of sucking it up and getting it done? Or how can I come to love it? Has anyone transformed from hating it to loving it? Helppp

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    What do you hate about it exactly?
  • jc86
    jc86 Posts: 151
    Options
    Theyre reallyyyyy tough. And then I freak out about not doing anything right even though ive worked with trainers before. But I mainly dread how challenging they are because I am very lazy
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The more you do it, the less severe the pain after working out. When you first start lifting, It'll usually take about a week for the soreness to go away, and it will hurt. After a few consistent workouts the pain gets less strong, and doesn't last as long. after a while you will be looking to change your routine to get the soreness back.

Set strength goals, go in with a plan, and log your workouts. When you see your results, you will look forward to weight training days.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I have been working out consistently since 2004-2005. I hate weights and always have. I have to force myself to do strength training twice a week. I do "the firm" on one of those days and a ballet video on the other. I kind of like ballet, so that one is not such a horrible experience. I use pinterest to motivate me for weight training. I post pics of toned women. I just keep telling myself that it will be worth it.
  • Isaanne
    Isaanne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like it but to me it is more interesting than just doing cardio. That said there are some exercises I dread. Used to like step ups but now I struggle with them. I used to not like squats and deadlifts but now they are ok. Still hate planks but like that I can do them longer!

Some days I am happy to go and just get on a machine and listen to music and not think about sets or reps - but usually I am psyched to lift.
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't mind doing cardio exercises but I REALLY dread weight training. The problem is weights are what my body really needs most. I need to do some serious toning but I dread weight training workouts. Is it just a matter of sucking it up and getting it done? Or how can I come to love it? Has anyone transformed from hating it to loving it? Helppp

We are opposites! I love, love, love weight lifting but I am having a terribly hard time even liking cardio. A couple of weeks ago I decided that I simply have to do cardio, for health and weight loss, so I am riding my exercycle on the days when I don't lift. It hasn't been easy.

For me, the reason I don't like cardio is that there is no variety so it becomes tedious. So, I am trying to address that problem. I am planning to introduce variety by switching from exercycle to walking eventually, and maybe from walking to some other form of cardio after that, and then back to the exercycle. I am also recording the distances my exercycle says I rode, and "riding to Baton Rouge" (and then Houston after that, I suppose). I am using the programmed rides that came with my bike, to add a little variety as well.

Maybe addressing the reason why you hate weight lifting would work for you, too. In your case you say that "Theyre reallyyyyy tough. And then I freak out about not doing anything right even though ive worked with trainers before. But I mainly dread how challenging they are because I am very lazy "

Well, if they are really tough, then maybe you are starting with too much weight. It's important to use proper form, but to me this is sort of like dance - - I love trying to perfect my form each time, just like I imagine that a dancer would love trying to perfect her dance routine. Work out with lighter weights until you feel confident about your form being perfect, and once you are doing that to your own satisfaction, then you can start increasing the weights, still focusing on continuing to have great form. And lazy? LOL!!! Impossible! Anybody who does cardio regularly is not lazy IMO. :)

Good luck!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Is it just a matter of sucking it up and getting it done? Or how can I come to love it?

Yes. That's exactly what it is. Suck it up and get it done. Stop spending time dreading it and just start doing it. I don't know if you'll ever love it. I can't predict the future. But if you stop thinking and just start doing, it will become part of your routine. You'll only spend 45 mins a day, 3x per week lifting weights, but I bet you spend 9x that amount of time each week thinking about how much you're going to hate your next session. Less thinking, more doing.

I know how you feel. Personally, I hate cardio. And I really hate running. But I have a running event coming up, so that means doing something I hate, just like you. But I don't think about it. I just put the training runs on my schedule, and at the appointed time, I show up at the trail and start putting one foot in front of the other. Before I know it, the run is over. I kept showing up at the trail, and kept moving forward to the point where I could barely run a few minutes to being able to run a significant distance. I still hate running. But I don't think about. I just keep doing it.

The same thing will work for you. Set your goal. Set a time to work on that goal. Show up at that time, lift the weights, and go home. Before long you won't dread it. You'll just get it done and you'll be proud of the results whether you came to love lifting or not.
  • cfloresmt
    cfloresmt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    weights are meant to be tough, but if you do them in such a way where it stops you from progressing you get hurt or get really unmotivated through them, you're doing them wrong.

They should leave you out of breathe with adrenaline pumping. More satisfying than cardio.

Along with weights, proper diet is a given (and that doesnt mean don't eat)..

How many times a week do you lift weights and for how long have you been doing it? Have you been progressing steadily?

If not, lower the weight you lift a bit till you get steady progress and keep on adding. Once you get in that routine, it gets addicting seeing yourself progressing, and you will see the result of that addiction in 6 months :)
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Get over yourself already
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I would recommend trying the Turbo Jam Live Booty Sculpt DVD. It's the most fun, no-dread-factor, strength video that I've come across. As you get stronger, you will start to enjoy strength training more and can move on to more demanding routines.