Fitness Device

Options
I am planning to purchase a fitness device/calorie tracker to get a more accurate picture of calories burned, but I have no idea what to look for. I'm sure many of you have history with products such as Fit Bit, etc. All I know is I would like one that is waterproof.

What are some brands, models, etc that you like? Or ones to stay away from?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I looked into buying a BodyMedia Fit. Not sure if it's waterproof. But it was my favorite of the one I always hear about. There's also a new one by Nike but I don't think it's waterproof enough for swimming.
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response, kellicci!
  • lizbutt70
    Options
    I love my Sportline HRM. I bought it from Sports Authority, ran be about 70 bucks. It tracks my heart rate, calories burned, has a stop watch and a timer, and displays the time and date. Also I can check my heartrate just by touching the watchface and it doesn't require a chest strap.
  • junebaby21
    Options
    I appreciate your information, Liz! I'll look into it. It seems like there are so many products in the marketplace....hard to figure out the major differences.
  • jcjammin
    jcjammin Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a Mio HRM which will give me my HR and calories burned while exercising. The sales person at the store highly recommended this one or a brand called Polar. I've only been using it for a few days but I like it and I feel it gives me a more accurate reading on calories burned than MFP does.
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hi - recently purchased a Timex heart rate monitor. "Timex Ironman Road something something". It was less than $70 (Amazon). Uses a chest strap. Has many many features but the one I like the best is a continous heart rate and it tells you the total calories burned after the workout. You enter your weight and max heart rate upon set up. I would buy it again.
  • junebaby21
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, jcjammin and btwalsh132! I appreciate it and will look into the devices you mentioned.
  • dabascom
    dabascom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Tough question. If you define the criteria it might help narrow down the choices (e.g., size (BodyMedia too big for me), platform & mobility (pc, mac, android, iphone), GPS yes/no, music yes/no..... There are so many. I use the FitBit but don't track expenditure as closely as you may want to. A few good reviews: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404445,00.asp, http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/technology/personaltech/devices-to-keep-track-of-calories-lost-or-gained.html?pagewanted=all. Let us know what you select and what you think.
  • ahowle
    ahowle Posts: 8
    Options
    Fitbit is the way to go!
  • GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like the fit bit too but its not waterproof, otherwise you cant beat it for the price
  • junebaby21
    Options
    I have been researching and FitBit does seem like the best idea, ahowle and gzinsea. Which one do you guys have?
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into the gettig a fitness tracker like Fitbit or Mio or Fuel band. Has anyone tried the Nike Fuel band? I'm afraid I will flush the FitBit haha
  • GZinSea
    GZinSea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the ultra, very small and portable but tracks a lot of data. Another thing you could Google is Quantified S uelf. They talk a lot about using technology to track/modify behavior